What To Swap 94 Civic Dx. Please Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicblazin101

hi im looking to engine swap my 94 civic dx i have looked at everything from the b16a to the h22. what will fit, what should i swap. i want somthing with mazimum horsepower and as little mods to my car as possiable. thanks steve

b16, b18, h22 they will all fit. Maximum Horse? stock would be h22 and b18c5 (type-r) it all depends on how much you have to spend. and what you consider "as little mods to your car". I consider cutting a engine mount off and relocating it not a big deal. If you do, then i dont suggest the h22, cuz depending on the mounts, you will have to do this. And if this is the case then the b18c is your best choice.. and if you got cash b18c5.

some jackasses on aol say that the b18c5 is not a type-r motor. i argude for a while then finally gave up.
all i heard was "ricer this" and "ricer that" :angry:

thry're just mad because most of 'em have twice the motor and still cant keep up... lmao :D :p :D

i agree with paragus on this one
i think the b18c5 would be the best choice
i would think it should go right on in with little mods

if you are basing your swap on max power w/out mods then b18c5 is the way to go

It depends. Only mods you will need for a h22 is a mount kit. The handling problem with the car and a h22 in it, isn't the as bad as everyone thought, but the motor STILL sits in the bay weird, so you will lose power off the start for that.

You can go somewhat considered cheap and use all oem teg mounts and swap a b-series into your civic. That way, you aren't stuck with 500 for a mount kit.

Depends on what you want..

drag = h22

autoX = built up b18c1 (you can go b18c5, but those get pricey (4650-5500)

A motor with torque and power, but will cost you some extra money is a CR/VTEC (b20 crv bottom and vtec head).. If done right, these can pump out 240 or so.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Jan 11 2003, 03:31 AM
but the motor STILL sits in the bay weird, so you will lose power off the start for that.

sorry no.. you will not lose power because it sits different.

right now im lookin at the b16a and the h22 and they are practicaly the same price but the h22 is much more powerful and has more displacement but i have heard that due to weight it causes understeer. can this problem be solved with some coilovers or is this just a problem u have to deal with. also what kind of motor mounts would i kneed to fit the h22 in the engine bay. thanks again.
steve

yeah understeer is apparant, but if unless you autox then it's not too big of a deal i guess, higher rate springs will help out alot.. and hasport makes a mount kit for 650 bucks

understeer.. please see this thread
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...t=ST&f=4&t=4433

motor mounts.. i recommend hasport, but there are other place racing, hcp, and some no namers on ebay.
www.hasport.com if you wanna see them

heres a ridiculously huge pic of mine
s3df17f408b121.jpg

ok now i think i have finally made my decesion on a h22 but my 2nd thought is will a turbo kit, say the drag gen 3, can i buy the turbo for a prelude and have it fit in my 94 dx engine bay or will the h22 be crouded enough in there as it is. i know that drag makes turbos for b16 and b18's in a 92-95 civic shell. but i would regret gettin a b16 when for the same proce i can get a h22 with 40 more ponys. thanks

have you done the research on a h22?

i know that the price for the motor is the same as a b16, but there will be a lot of other work needed for that swap. mounts, custom axels (not to mention the they are known to break in civics, the dont sit right so they have the tendency to brake), also if its a daily driver then a different oil pan, and the loss of a/c and power steering (but if you really want to race you dont want those anyways). i think the h22 is deffinatly worth it, but from your post earlier dont be fooled by the price of the motor alone, you will spend much more to get it installed

well yes it will be a daily driver and i dont have power steering as it is my dx is a base model and i dont have power anything. wow thats alot to think about i dont want to have it always braking down on me, when you say h22 have a tendancy to brake what exactly do you mean. also i know they dont exactly fit in the bay but how bad is it i mean is it just a little bit further up or does it have to sit slanted? i have a good knowledge about cars but you will have to educate me wehn it comes to swaps. thanks

Originally posted by spoonhatch@Jan 13 2003, 01:46 PM
have you done the research on a h22?

mounts, custom axels (not to mention the they are known to break in civics, the dont sit right so they have the tendency to brake), also if its a daily driver then a different oil pan, and the loss of a/c and power steering (but if you really want to race you dont want those anyways).

yes you will need mounts.. custom axles?? no. You can use custom axles if you want or you can use a combo of 1990-93 accord intermediate shaft and 90-93 left and right integra axles. The reason that axles broke in the civics was because of the old hasport mounts (greyish with the orange inserts). Hasport has came out with new ones (see pic above) and that has fixed the problem. You dont need a different oil pan if its a daily driver. and yes you can fit a turbo in a h22 civic.. i got pics. i just gotta upload them.. ill post them later.. the pics are at my home and im at work right now.

Put a b16a1 into your car
that is the cheapest vtec motor you can get
you can get a lot of parts for them also and you get 160hp right away

whoops.. sorry forgot to post the pics..lol :D well here they are..

17397586.jpg

17397521.jpg

17397645.jpg

i got a chance to talk to the guy.. he was real cool, i picked his brain a little bit :p anyways if you wanna know hes running 7lbs of boost at 330whp.

Back