What Would Be Better To Boost?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civ90hb

Hey, i am in search of a CRX right now and once i get it will be swapping the engine immediatly. What would be better and why? I'm wanting to hit 200-250 hp at the wheels and as much tq as possible. Pros & cons of both? Let me know. Thanks. If you have any other ideas i am open to possiblities.

b18c, best VTEC engine to boost and it has a good amount of hp and tq to start with (180), with even a small amount of boost you can hit 200-250 easy. and in a CRX it is badass. just make sure you get a 94-95 engine since they are OBD1 and will make installation easier. hope this helps

The GSR would be the hotness, but its like an extra grand at least. If youve got the money than hell yeah, B18C baby! But if like most of us youre a lil strapped then get a B16. Its a cheap conversion and people put down 200+ on the boost all the time with it. Hell, ive seen dynos of people putting down 270 with stock internals!

the obd issues don't matter as much as getting a crx si. either way your gonna have to do A LOT of custom wiring. you should be able to make close to 250 hp with stock gsr internals or with an ls motor. since your not shooting for a massive amount of power you don't have to go vtec. unless you want to, and even then you could go with a non obd b16a swap and boost that. the advantage here is a few wiring hassles with crx si. you should really think about this one. turbo b16 can make tons of power too, even torque. and you don't really need a lot of torque to motivate a car that weighs less than 2000 lbs.

Thanks for the replies. I actually think i am going to go with a Ls turbo. I don't want to have to deal with vtec. It makes the engine harder to tune, correct? Around here i don't know of any good tuners so i sort of want to stay away from that. So any specifics i should do when turboing the Ls? Thanks alot.

I keep doing searches but i don't find what i'm looking for. So hook me up with some links to get posts if you wouldn't mind. Thanks.

A 90-91 Integra LS turbo would rock balls in a lightass CRX.

Stock at 130 HP, add 10 pounds to the factory low compression and you'll have a NICE easy 250 Hp and ft pound engine. All at a cost of less than 3 thousand dollars + car.

That's sort of what i am going for. I'm wanting to build the engine up a bit though cause i want it to last 40 thousand to 50 thousand miles. I'm in a car club and we are mainly racing/cruising so i will be putting quite a few miles on my ride. So any suggestions on what else i should do to make it reliable?

Sleeve the cylinders, block guard if your going high HP. A new complete valvetrain (titanium or the like) with turbo cams, new pistons, rods, bolts etc. That will make it pretty much bulletproof for a moderate to high boost application.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 2 2003, 01:26 PM
Sleeve the cylinders, block guard if your going high HP. A new complete valvetrain (titanium or the like) with turbo cams, new pistons, rods, bolts etc. That will make it pretty much bulletproof for a moderate to high boost application.

if you're gettin new sleeves get the ones with a deck, like the aebs t-sleeves and darton sleeves. block guards are just the easy way around, but arent really reliable.

Originally posted by civ90hb@Apr 2 2003, 04:28 PM
Sweet thanks alot. You so answered my questions. I appreciate it.

if i was going to boost on a stock block it would be in ls :ph34r:

Back