Whats a good swap for a 91 integra???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91jdmteg

Whats a good motor swap for a 91 integra? That requires little or no modification? Please post engine and what type of mods will have to be done in order to work. It has the b18a or should i just build what i have? THANKS :D

If you like B16s, the best swap would be this engine. Edit: it would require some modification like mounts, hooking up vtec, etc.

Or you could start with your larger motor for the displacement and torque, do a fresh build and turbo the fuck out of it.

mounts and things like that i don't mind. But how would i go about wiring the vtec? Different ecu? or a VAFC?

The B16 in that link will come with an ECU, as for wiring it up, it's been covered 1000 times all you need to do is search the forum.

I understand, But i beleive the 1st gen b16a swap is obd, As is my car. But I'm not sure thats why i'm on here getting the correct info!!!!!!!

The link to the engine I gave you is OBD1, your car is OBD0. You'll need an obd0 > obd1 conversion harness.

Any suggestions on where to get that? Price? What else besides that would i need to swap a b16a 1st gen? Besides mounts. Thanks you guys are helping alot.

You will not need mounts. The 1g b16 is a direct bolt in for an obd0 integra (da). There should be write ups on the specifics of the swap, but generally you will just need the motor and ecu. The transmission is reccomended, but not necessary. Wiring is pretty basic and consists of a second 02 sensor wire, a knock sensor, and a vtec solenoid wire. Or you can skip the 02 and knock sensor and get a Zdyne 1 wire ecu. People will tell you that the b16 doesnt have sufficient torque to power a heavier (relative to a civic) DA, but given that i have personal experience with the swap i can tell you it makes for a fun car. Your b16 may even come from a japanese DA (Xsi).

Edit: I got my swap about three years ago and purchased the motor seperate from the transmission. Motor itself (+ecu) was 1,000 and the transmission was another 375.

you dont need a conversion harness. alls you have to do is use your stock fuel injectors, get a OBD-0 dohc vtec dizzy and wire in the vtec. use stock mounts, or upgraded ones if you'd like, use stock shift linkage, and weld up a piece of exhaust(depending on header used) and your done.
i have B16A2 out of a 00 Si, in 91 teg, and I recommend you do a GSR swap or something with more torque, even rebuilding your stock engine, and turboing, or LS/VTEC(or ls/vtec boosted :ph34r: ) would be better than B16 IMO.
and yes, like said by them above, it is a decent swap, but I wasnt really too happy with it. it is definitely faster, I beat another 93 integra, and he had the LS engine with I/H/E, and a bigger throttle body, and my engine was running with stock LS exhaust manifold, stock LS throttle body, and a stock ECU(6800rpm limit) wired to run vtec with an rpm switch.

So i should just build my b18a? But if i do a ls/vtec won't i need to rebuild the bottom end? What's needed to do it? I mean which type of head? Which motor will it need to come off of? Basically all needed materials and estimated horsepower? vs a B16A?

Originally posted by 91jdmteg@Jan 3 2005, 11:45 PM
So i should just build my b18a? But if i do a ls/vtec won't i need to rebuild the bottom end? What's needed to do it? I mean which type of head? Which motor will it need to come off of? Basically all needed materials and estimated horsepower? vs a B16A?
[post=440803]Quoted post[/post]​

You don't NEED to redo your bottom end, but I would. Your best option would be a b16a head.

usdm b16a = 94-97 del sol dohc vtec, 99-00 Si.

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33559

estimated hp will be hard to tell, depends on how far into it you go.

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Jan 3 2005, 11:31 PM
my engine was running with stock LS exhaust manifold, stock LS throttle body, and a stock ECU(6800rpm limit) wired to run vtec with an rpm switch.
[post=440797]Quoted post[/post]​

That's why you weren't happy with your swap.

Is the B18A the same as the B18B? If so, just build that bitch. Dont worry about getting a vtec head and boost it. You will enjoy it thoroughly.

Get new bearings, stronger rods, forged pistons, hone the cylinders, ARP head studs, OEM piston rings, better valvetrain, maybe a p&p, better IM, bigger TB such as 64mm, a good 3" exhaust (or none at all)..etc etc etc.

I would never put a b16 in a teg. That's just me, I wouldn't put a b16 in a go cart (maybe, but not in a car). All I'd ever want from a b16 is the head and even that is pushing it if you already have a good LS.

I strongly reccomend, you spend your money on the Ls or get a GSR. LS's have plenty of potential. And a LST is a damn fast engine, and LSV is also pretty damn fast, an N/A Ls isn't much to talk about but it can beat a stock b16 and possibly a stock GSR if its built right.

Even if you just do a little junkyard turbo set up youll be faster than any stock b16 swap in a DA or DC for what could be around the same price. I am a little biased though, I'm not a huge fan of vtec and I like boost. I also have some wierd obsession with LS's.

Another option is to go with a b20, it's a good engine, but people like to say the sleeves are weak, I personally cannot tell you. But CRvtecs are also strong engines, and with a little work you could have a nice B20-T.

The b18a and B are olny slightly different most of it is in the head and obd. The 90-91 b18a's made 130 hp, 90-93 140hp, 94-01 142hp. A b18b head on his block will make a difference, maybe 5-6 hp, an obd0><obd1 with the head maybe 10-12 hp. With my or any PnPed head MAYBE 20, which is a nice improvement.

Thanks for your help!! So what would be a good starting point on my b18a? As far as getting more tourqe and horsepower, Starting with any bolt-on's that'll help.

It depends, what are you going to do with it. If you a re going turbo it rules out a few things and wouldbe be worth buying

If you're going to go turbo, Get a nice exhaust (no header it's gonna get replaced) and some cams/upgraded valvetrain, remember if you're going turbo the turbo cams will be the best in the long run.

If you're going all motor, you could start with the basics, Intake, Header, Exhaust, Cams/upgraded Valvetrain.

If you're going Ls-vtec then just save up for the head, or start buying the conversion parts.

If i did the LS/VTEC What are the parts I'll need?? If someone could give me a detailed list of ALL parts needed to do the swap I'd greatly appreciate it. So i can start looking!

Back