whats causing the high oil pressure?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPEEDFREAK0920

my buddy just picked up a 96 dc2 ls. for some reason he keeps blowing out his oil filter? he was using a kn filter and it doubled in size and almost burst! the first time it blew out the oil filter seal and the second time he blew the whole oil filter itseft!

what can be causing such the high oil pressure? the motor has 92k and its completely stock. it supposedely has a gsr oil pump. thats what the guy who sold it to him said. but i dont think this would cause the filter problems. does anyone have an idea? all responses are appreciated. thanks

First thing is make sure fluid levels are correct. Next is he getting a lot of blowby? Oil senders working? The oil pumps have a pressure relieve valve, could be faulty.

Another thing to consider is a leakdown test. If compression is bad it causes high pressure in the cranckcase.

After all this I read you have a gsr oil pump on ls? That will not work! That is the problem right there. The difference between the 2 is a simple washer. taking that out allows the hexhead plug to sit lower and compress the relief spring a little more. this results in a higher oil pressure before the plunger is lifted off the seat to bypass the oil.

alright thanks. quick ?... can the gsr oil pump be modified? i was wondering if we can just remove the shim and make it flow like a ls pump?

Wow, I had this happen about 6 months ago in the shop, the pressure relief valve in the oil pump is bad, causing the pressure to plow off the easiest thing it can, which is the filter, Just get a new oil pump, they are less than $100 straight from honda, (or acura)
Acura Parts @ AcuraAutomotiveParts.org - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Acura Carland
Honda Automotive Parts
It's alot easier to just replace the entire pump with whatever B series pump you want to use, they are actually all the same except the integra type R pumps used billet pump gears whereas the others just used regular steel.
some people like using the type R pumps in turbo and high revving applications just for the safety net of the billet parts.
Good luck

Wow, I had this happen about 6 months ago in the shop, the pressure relief valve in the oil pump is bad, causing the pressure to plow off the easiest thing it can, which is the filter, Just get a new oil pump, they are less than $100 straight from honda, (or acura)
Acura Parts @ AcuraAutomotiveParts.org - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Acura Carland
Honda Automotive Parts
It's alot easier to just replace the entire pump with whatever B series pump you want to use, they are actually all the same except the integra type R pumps used billet pump gears whereas the others just used regular steel.
some people like using the type R pumps in turbo and high revving applications just for the safety net of the billet parts.
Good luck

The pumps are different. It's a simple washer, with a big purpose. The gsr and type r do not have a washer that allows the spring to be comppressed more to create more (higher) oil pressure.

The difference between the VTEC and NONVTEC oil pumps is a washer.

yep you read that right, a washer.

VTEC
ec100445-d5f4-45d5-8397-6140958b28b4.jpg

non-vtec
99210c49-89b9-434c-87a0-34816042aa38.jpg

Here look at these two diagrams. notice the washer? (it's # 12) taking that out allows the hexhead plug to sit lower and compress the relief spring a little more. this results in a higher oil pressure before the plunger is lifted off the seat to bypass the oil. the "PRO" recommendation of shimming or use a washer on the end of the spring would compress it the same amount, giving the same result. the springs are IDENTICAL in all pumps.

Last edited:
I definately see the masher, and what you say makes perfect sense, but if that is the case they why are the oil pressure specificatios for both engines the same?
(Alldatapro-online 95 GSR and 96 LS both say 10psi@ idle, and 50psi at 3000RPM)

and NO, the washer isn't the only difference, check the part numbers between any b series pump gears and the type R pump gears, they are different, because type R pumps use the Billet gears.
I don't really care either way He can use whatever he wants to replace His pump, but when I rebuild b series engines I use ITR pumps, they are cheap enough and give that little extra peace of mind.

Last edited:
Back