wheel/susp choices

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Red89Si

im gonna drop a dohc zc in the car to start with. i was looking at wheel/suspension combo's and thought id ask you all for your opinions.

suspension wise, im thinking either the Eibach kit, or Tein lowering springs and then piece together the suspension system. anybody have either of these on their car ? if so, how does it ride ? i dont want a bouncy ride(like you get from coilovers), but, i definitely want a somewhat comfy ride with a sporty ride height.

now, for the wheels. a guy at work said, with the zc engine, id be snapping axles left n right if i put the '99-'00 Si wheels on. i dont see why, but thats what he said. anybody have problems with that or know anybody who does/did ? id like to have either the Si wheels, a set of GSR wheels, or these: http://www.wheelsnext.com/product.phtml?p=652 . so, what do you all think(its a red crx too if that helps)? and should i go with 15's so i dont snap axles, or, does he just not know what hes talking about and id be fine with 16's ? thanks.

I've ridden in cars with Eibach springs (to include my own) and they are the cat's pajamas for the price. Match them with a set of AGX shocks and you'll smile all day long.

As far as suspention goes, you really get what you pay for. My advice would be to step up to an entry level coilover, like the Tein Basic Damper, or the Omnipower coilover. I'm from Toronto, Canada, so I don't really know US pricing, but I think both kits are around the $6-700US area. These kits have a fixed damper, but are ride height adjustable. They are perfect for someone looking for a good street setup, but doesn't have use for the added adjustability of more expensive units.

In terms of wheels, your friend is an idiot. I don't even want to talk about that one. Go for 15's though.. with a 205/50/15..you'll loose out on a lot of power with the 16's due to increased rotational inertia. If you have to have 16's (like I had to), go for something really lightweight. The Si Rims are heavy as shit.

thanks for the replies. so i guess i got a pretty good idea so far then. and for the wheel idea....i figured he was full of sh*t, but, just thought id ask, cuz i had 16's on my '93 lx and it was fine when i raced and did burnouts and all that good stuff but, just thought id ask some of the pro's. thanks again for the replies. guess im going with either eibach's or tein. later

Back