Where do I learn ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

I would like to learn about engines and what the cams and rods and pistons and all that stuff do and mean. How do I get started on learning so that down the road I can do my own swap or build my engine myself !!! Is that ever going to be possible for me ?

A good way to learn is go to the junkyard and get a engine and take it apart and put it back together a few times.If your still in school take a autoshop class(do they still have those)But like dohcvtec accord said hands-on is the best.

Another good way is to stick around HERE! There's a lot of good tech knowledge on this site, and if you don't understand something, most won't have a problem taking a minute to explain it to you.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Dec 24 2002, 03:52 PM
A good way to learn is go to the junkyard and get a engine and take it apart and put it back together a few times.If your still in school take a autoshop class(do they still have those)But like dohcvtec accord said hands-on is the best.

yea if you are still in High school take every auto class there is. As a freshman i took small engines (lawn mower engines) they gave us a 3.5 hp briggs and straton engine and we had to strip the thing down to nothing and then blue printed almost everything (can you call it blueprinting when you just make sure everything is to spec?). In that class I learned a ton of stuff. I would recomend looking at garbage on the curb and when you see a lawn mower sitting there, pic it up, buy a shop manual for it and then strip it down to nothing then rebuild it. You will learn about all the parts and will understand engines alot more.

*EDIT Oh and stick here, I have been on this site for about 7 months now (how long i have had my car) and have learned a ton of shit about hondas, I basicly feel like now i have the knowledge to do my own engine swap but there is that one problem, this site does not offer any cash to their loyal members :angry: :( :)

Originally posted by initialauto@Dec 24 2002, 08:57 PM
:werd: i didtn kno how a turbo worked or what went best on what engine till i came here.

:withstupid: if it wasn't mostly for Mike (calesta)(thanks bro for helping), I wouldn't know half the shit i do now.

Stay here, I have learned all that i know in a couple of months, be it not all that i need to, but it gets me by.

Back