Why English sucks...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Haha. You guys would love German.

Dutch too.

there's a lot of phlegm used when speaking German

Depends on the area.

In Berlin, yes very gutteral. But anywhere else, it's much more fluid sounding.

Mostly, it's just the portrayal in movies/television. They always pick people with really strong accents.

i have some learn german disks, and on both of the ones i have they tend to sound like that... perhaps they are both using the berlin dialect

i always have trouble with the pronunciations because all my life i have been taught not to make those sounds when talking and now i have to... its tough to break

i have some learn german disks, and on both of the ones i have they tend to sound like that... perhaps they are both using the berlin dialect

i always have trouble with the pronunciations because all my life i have been taught not to make those sounds when talking and now i have to... its tough to break

See, that's text-book German. That's the fucked up kind of German that when you go to a festival and speak it, people stare at you.

Hit Radio FFH, Bad Vilbel, Deutschland
Listen to that for a bit, that's what german really sounds like.

awesome... thanks :thumbsup:

that does sound a lot "softer" than what they are speaking on the disks i have

although they are speaking entirely too fast for me to pick up most of what they are saying... i can only catch about every 5th word lol

this will come in handy though... no one around me speaks german so its hard to know what it is supposed to sound like

id rep ya if i could

Learn Spanish, you'll always wonder where the H went.

You're right, I always wondered where the h went when I took spanish in high school.

Is German hard at first? One of my goals in life is to learn at least basic amounts of German and visit Germany, since it's a part of my heritage and all.

I tried Rosetta Stone Japanese as a lark for just a few hours a year or two ago, I believe the hype about that software now. The language was total gibberish before, but from that short exposure I can at least parse the verbiage a little bit now, even though I may not understand it (along with some other basics like picking up how 'ka' turns the sentence into a question (I think? That's what I inferred from it anyway)). Once in a while I even catch a word.

Last edited:
I found Spanish to be exceptionally easy once I got past the initial understanding of it. Not so much the words, but the conjugates and such.

I still have a hard time understanding when people talk fast, but for the most part, I can hold a decent conversation.

I found Spanish to be exceptionally easy once I got past the initial understanding of it. Not so much the words, but the conjugates and such.

I still have a hard time understanding when people talk fast, but for the most part, I can hold a decent conversation.

I had spanish classes for 3 years in middle school, but my teacher was insane. I learned almost nothing about communicating in spanish, but now I can read spanish aloud at full speed and enunciate like a native speaker (according to several native speakers) even though I don't understand half of what I'm reading. :D

We once took a field trip for spanish class... to china town. That's how crazy she was. :ph34r:

Last edited:
(along with some other basics like picking up how 'ka' turns the sentence into a question (I think? That's what I inferred from it anyway)). Once in a while I even catch a word.
I think that's right. In our language we have something something similar("He"; sharp e sound). I guess you can compare it to improper English sentences, "That chick was hot, huh?"

Or them too. Just wondering, the "eh" is that slang or whatever or is it actually part of "Canadian grammar"?

I had spanish classes for 3 years in middle school, but my teacher was insane. I learned almost nothing about communicating in spanish, but now I can read spanish aloud at full speed and enunciate like a native speaker (according to several native speakers) even though I don't understand half of what I'm reading. :D

We once took a field trip for spanish class... to china town. That's how crazy she was. :ph34r:

Cultural diversity at it's best.

Or them too. Just wondering, the "eh" is that slang or whatever or is it actually part of "Canadian grammar"?

IMO, I think it's a lot like what us Americans do. We add things like "You know" and "Right" during our conversations and we don't even realize we do it. Whether it be a way to exemplify whatever it is we are saying, or if they are "filler" words. "Uh" and "Ummm" are examples of filler words. They help us gather our thoughts without being silent. We just accept it for what it is.

Back