Why? Why Do So?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Apr 11 2003, 03:34 PM
i know you would have to be an idiot to put a low octane fuel in a high performance engine, thats why they lower the compression on engines brought to the states.

they have to make the car as idiot proof as possible. if you ran a jdm prelude motor on 87 octane fuel it would probably survive, but if you did it for 5,000 miles that motor would be junk.

so they lower the compression and performance of the motor so it will be a little more knock resistant when you use a lower octane fuel. that was my original point.

manufacturers wouldn't be able to afford to replace a motor(because of warranty) every time some retard put 85 octane fuel in their tank. :blink:

thats the same reason USDM engines have knock sensors
the whole reason they're there is to detect detonation and retard the timing to help prevent it

JDM engines dont have knock sensors
i dont think EDM engines have knock sensors
its pretty much just the US because idiots here are too cheap to spend an extra dollar or two on a tank of gas

Hey i didn't know how to get a question up so i just used a reply any way i'm in the process of getting an 86 prelude si it has a BT2.0 bout 110 horses can i put a 1.8A1 engine in my prelude its an automatic

pls email smokey467@hotmail.com

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Apr 11 2003, 03:17 PM-->
saturn_boy96
@Apr 11 2003, 03:34 PM
i know you would have to be an idiot to put a low octane fuel in a high performance engine, thats why they lower the compression on engines brought to the states.

they have to make the car as idiot proof as possible. if you ran a jdm prelude motor on 87 octane fuel it would probably survive, but if you did it for 5,000 miles that motor would be junk.

so they lower the compression and performance of the motor so it will be a little more knock resistant when you use a lower octane fuel. that was my original point.

manufacturers wouldn't be able to afford to replace a motor(because of warranty) every time some retard put 85 octane fuel in their tank. :blink:

thats the same reason USDM engines have knock sensors
the whole reason they're there is to detect detonation and retard the timing to help prevent it

JDM engines dont have knock sensors
i dont think EDM engines have knock sensors
its pretty much just the US because idiots here are too cheap to spend an extra dollar or two on a tank of gas

i have a knock sensor on my jdm motor.

Back