Wich would you prefer?

• Strut bars and Sway bars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some sort of roll cage, either half or f

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxracing77

I guess the point im trying to figure out is i have heard from ppl that strut bars are a good way to go which i agree, but they also mention like in my crx a half roll cage just the back half wouldnt be a bad idea... Does this serve more then a safty purpose and how costy is it to have done pre manufactured or self built?
just looking for ideas and helpful info.

To do a roll cage correctly you really have to tear the car apart because I wouldn't want to weld one in with any interior carpeting or plastic still in the car. You will see much bigger results from sway bars and strut bars. The roll cage will do some sitfdfening of the chassis, but it is mostly a safety thing. Unless you are racing in a class that requires one don't bother.

not req to have one, just some ppl have ben saying it is a plus... for my 89 crx hf they do not make a lower tie bar for it, is that right, they only make front and rear upper strut bars?

The roll cage is a small benefit, but if you have other suspenion upgrades you can get go with those. The cage will be the smallest improvement in handling per dollar spent. As fopr the lower tie bars I am not sure.

Get strut/tie bars and sway bars together- you'll be able to bolt them straight up, and not have to tear apart your car.

A properly installed roll cage can improve your handling a LOT, but that would be a roll cage that's welded in to place everywhere that you can... and that might not produce a very street comfortable car in the end.

One tip though- be careful when installing lower braces. They're much more of a pain to put on, and if you're low, you'll hit them a lot. I keep destroying my lower front brace... I'm just going to take it off and run without one.

well my car is my only transportation, and is completely gutted.. i only have 2 seats and a dash/ center console... If i did do any kinda of cage it would only be the back half... dont really care abt people thinking the car is attractive. besides i would have something to mount the seat belts too cause i have none now! car is pretty well gutted out... all a/c underdash is gone and so on! unless a full cage would be more benifical? but i dont knw.. right now if i did i would do half, would it be hard to do something like this on my own. i am mech inclined/

see the sway bars i wouldnt be able to change cause, my car is way to low.. it is abt 1/2 in off the ground literally

just to let you know 4 point harness' most times arent enough for DMV inspections ( like if you were to be pulled over and the cop was a dick and ticketed you for no belts and gave you a "fix it" ticket as well ) its a good idea to at least have em in the car .... unless its not street driven

Get the strut towers and the sway bars! The roll cage is a good idea later on but it also adds some weight! Yes it does stiffen everything up but you will notice the strut towers and the sway bars more than the roll cage! Plus if you are only putting the cage in the back half then your front half is still gonna feel loose!

just to add another prospective, a "real" roll cage will add way more stiffness and chasis support than any bolt on sway bar or strut tower bar will. a weld in is obviously the best, but there are plenty of bolt ons that will do the job, auto power 6pt cages are decent for the price and will def. stiffen up the chasis. they are still streetable and arent too much of a pain to get in and out. ur looking at about 5-600 for that kind of cage.

good weld ins are 1000 and up usually. it really depends on what u want to do with the car. remember that with a more rigid chasis the comfort level goes down. a nice 6pt weld in rode like a skate board, but say good by to any form of body roll.

well looks like roll cage is out of the question, and i cant not do a sway bar, so i have to stick with the upper strut bars... I saw some company made a floor bar that goes across the were a back seat would be in a crx from side to side? does anyone know anything abt those?

seeing that were on the topic.... does anyone know of a roll bar / cage for a del sol ... ive looked around but cant find anything ... i think im gunna have to get one done custom <_<

look at the car up top in the banner--- its got a T- bar in it... see it?

Originally posted by crxracing77@Oct 23 2002, 06:46 AM
well looks like roll cage is out of the question, and i cant not do a sway bar, so i have to stick with the upper strut bars... I saw some company made a floor bar that goes across the were a back seat would be in a crx from side to side? does anyone know anything abt those?

Yeah the mid braces are nice. I will eventually get one sometime this year. The help alot with stiffening the chassis left and right sides from flexing opposite from one another.

Back