Wireless modem q's.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I may be out of the loop, but last I checked WMP media streaming functions doesn't transcode formats... i.e. mkv to mp4 etc.

Between TVersity and PS3mediaserver, almost all formats I've tried can be transcode-streamed by one or both.

I may be out of the loop, but last I checked WMP media streaming functions doesn't transcode formats... i.e. mkv to mp4 etc.

Between TVersity and PS3mediaserver, almost all formats I've tried can be transcode-streamed by one or both.

irc, wmp cant do that. thats actually pretty awesome that TVersity and PS3mediaserver can do that. ALOT of my animes are in .mkv so that would save me a huge hassle when I do get a PS3 and start streaming videos.

fyi for those who arent certain, .mkv and .mp4 are containers and .h264 (usually HD files) are file formats that go into the containers along with audio.

Your surround sound should be connected to the TV like the Xbox separately.

I have my computer connected to my tv, so its my monitor. The surround sound on aux plays tv/xbox, on Music Player setting it plays sound from the computer which I have set up through the headset jack. One of these days I'll hook the computer sound card to the surround sound separately.

cable line goes to the cable modem
cable modem goes to the router
router goes to the devices

heres a pic

DI-784_diagram.jpg

Last edited:
the device you linked will not work, it is a DSL modem not a Cable modem

you would need to contact comcast and find out if you can use your own cable modem, im not sure you can

ok looked it up and you can get your own

heres what you need to do

How to Change Your Modem With Comcast | eHow.com

Step 1
Disconnect your leased cable modem.

Step 2
Connect your new modem by plugging it in to an outlet and connecting your cable to the appropriate input.

Step 3
Write down the MAC address of your new modem. You probably will find this on a sticker on your modem. It also may be noted on the box or in the documentation that came with it.

Step 4
Call Comcast at (800) 266-2278 and select the option to speak with a technician.

Step 5
Tell the technician you are replacing Comcast's modem with your own modem. She will need to add the MAC address of your new modem to your account so it can connect to the Comcast servers. After she has done so, you should be able to access the Internet with your new modem.

Step 6
Cancel the lease of your Comcast modem by turning it in at a nearby Comcast office. Tell the representative you have purchased your own modem and will no longer need to lease the device. The rep will take the old modem, and you will no longer be charged a modem leasing fee on your monthly bill.

tried to rep but got an error message: "must blow others before you can blow E again, line forms to the left"

here are the cable modems listed at bestbuy

Cable modem : Modems & VoIP - BestBuy

they have a wireless model but it is the slower wireless G

if it was me i would grab a regular modem then hook up a wireless router to it... im not a fan of all in one devices

other than my friend bill's microwave with a built in toaster... that thing is bad ass

I am using the motorola SB5120 modem over the motorola SB5101. I have 2 of SB5101 sitting here but they are junk, they reset themself alot

I think comcast has the SB5101

Back