with the head off...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

Im still in the process of rebuilding my 91 HF and was wondering if I should go ahead and replace the water pump while the head is off. I dont know if it is bad or not, or how long it has been since it was changed last. It appears to have the same wear as the rest of the timing side (180k mi)

I was also wondering if headers had any effect on gas mileage. up, down, nothing at all? And if it helps the mileage any, what should I look at for headers?

thx

I didn't notice any kind of mileage change with my headers. They are an after the fact kind of thing, and the power gains are minimal. Only way I can think they'd affect your mileage is if you like the new sound and lay into a lot more :shrug2:

Originally posted by wanderinman@Aug 27 2005, 02:19 PM
I didn't notice any kind of mileage change with my headers. They are an after the fact kind of thing, and the power gains are minimal. Only way I can think they'd affect your mileage is if you like the new sound and lay into a lot more :shrug2:
[post=546058]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, a header will increase the effeciency of your motor, and, therefore, increase mileage. And a header is one of the best bolt-ons you can get.

Originally posted by phyregod+Aug 27 2005, 07:24 PM-->
wanderinman
@Aug 27 2005, 02:19 PM
[post=546058]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, a header will increase the effeciency of your motor, and, therefore, increase mileage. And a header is one of the best bolt-ons you can get.
[post=546060]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: headers are definitely a plus on the power side, just make sure youre not backing them up with the stock exhaust system. anything you can do to make your engine breathe more with less work transfers into both performance and efficiency gains. just stay with a 4-2-1 design, as the hf can use all the low to mid range gains it can get. dc and megan racing are probably two of the most popular brands i sell at the shop.

Unlike most here, my rex is just for the gas mileage (deliver pizzas) So power isnt a real issue to me, just the mileage. I was hoping to eke out another one or two MPG to save some money, filling up every two days, every i mile will add up fast.

Back