WTB hatchback with B16 or B18 Swap GSR trans.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

d.b.cooper

Mid-life Crisis Swap
Ok, I have been lurking the forum and reading for a week.

I'm finally able to drag myself out of a 5 year bout with extreme poverty mostly due to the inflated real estate prices in Arizona. I am in underwriting on a sizable loan, and am budgeting 5-6K for a car to replace my 1984 civic hatch 1500 5 speed daily driver (down) my back-up daily driver 1985 cvc htch 1300 (limping with 3 of 4 gears working) and my hobby car (parked for 10 years 63 Dub)

I drive 75 to 200 miles a day all over the country's largest metropolitan area as a real estate appraiser. I have driven over 200,000 miles in the last 4-5 years with out the comfort and security of a license, so I don't like to attract attention. (by the way the food in lock-up in Yuma isnt bad, if you have a choice in where to be incarcerated...but I digress)

I want reasonable power, especially in the 45mph - 90mph range to dodge the mix of old people and rude wanna be drivers in watercooled volkswagens. Standard trans is mandatory, I am assuming the GSR is a little longer legs and has a 5th gear overdrive available?

I want a swap that makes sense in the car its in, I'd like a reasonable attention to detailing so that underhood looks as if the motor belongs there. I think from what I have read here that an early hatch with a b16 SIR is probably what I want.

It would be nice if it was located within a days drive. AZ, CA, NM, UT, NV

My favorite current offerings here are the components in the Del-sol, but I'm a little worried about the sporty lines of the Del-Sol, and CT is quite a trip. The other one I like is someone had a 93? hatch in white with a 2000-ish front grafted, that seems like my style enough to wonder about shipping from Wyoming. I'll post those questions on those threads.

Thoughts?, Guidance?

I used to get along pretty well in a very ugly 1990 Passat wagen it had the 2 liter GTI engine , I didnt like the auto trans, drove it in 3rd gear for two years in 'limp home mode' finally got that fixed, blew the head gasket, recently GAVE that car away after it sat 5 years. I got tired of being raped without even a "thank-you" from the VW dealer on parts like the infamous dealer-only 6 inch (appropo - no?) radiater hose for $110.

yes, that one caught my eye. Its a little more than I had budgeted but not completely out of reach. I think I'd have a hard time building one like it for that. I don't suppose you would offer to drive it to AZ on your way back to visit Fresno?

Seriously anyone have any experiance with drive-away services or auto carriers?

Originally posted by d.b.cooper@Sep 10 2005, 02:15 AM
yes, that one caught my eye. Its a little more than I had budgeted but not completely out of reach. I think I'd have a hard time building one like it for that. I don't suppose you would offer to drive it to AZ on your way back to visit Fresno?

Seriously anyone have any experiance with drive-away services or auto carriers?
[post=552208]Quoted post[/post]​

MY hatchback aint for sale... I was talking about the one in the pix. ;)

Back