WTF Florida?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm just getting pissed on by rain. every once in a while the rain turns to ice at it falls. getting really tired of these f'n noobs calling it snow. :/

I'll be heading that way for a month next week. Can't wait to leave this cold again and do some fishing. Already got a Marriott booked, and a rental car. Stuart, FL...show me some fish.

Something you northerners aren't thinking about is 'wet ice' vs 'dry ice'

If the temp is very near 32 F, the ice will be constantly melting and refreezing, and if the sun is out, and the wind is blowing it's much worse. Once you get down below 20 the ice pretty much stays ice. Truck drivers who drive on ice will tell you it's easier to drive on as it gets colder and colder.

As an experiment, take a piece of ice out of your freezer right after the refrigeration cycle ends. Rub your finger over the ice, and you will notice your finger sticks a little, until the heat from your finger starts to melt the ice. At this point, the ice becomes very slippery; more slippery than say, water on cement.

qmeajrX.jpg

Something you northerners aren't thinking about is 'wet ice' vs 'dry ice'

If the temp is very near 32 F, the ice will be constantly melting and refreezing, and if the sun is out, and the wind is blowing it's much worse. Once you get down below 20 the ice pretty much stays ice. Truck drivers who drive on ice will tell you it's easier to drive on as it gets colder and colder.

As an experiment, take a piece of ice out of your freezer right after the refrigeration cycle ends. Rub your finger over the ice, and you will notice your finger sticks a little, until the heat from your finger starts to melt the ice. At this point, the ice becomes very slippery; more slippery than say, water on cement.
You're explaining this as if this doesn't occur in the north...

Back