Xan's 1989 CRX(an)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If it's whistling, there's probably a hole somewhere; possibly an open vacuum line...

The tale I tell you today, is a tale of ancient, ancient, ancient, ancient, ancient, ancient, ancient, ancient, ancient history.

A young man ordered a lightweight flywheel from Amazon only to find they incorrectly showed it as fitting a D series motor. Dismayed, he turned to Real Street in Orlando for his lightweight flywheel for his d series motor. He assumed fitment would be universal like B series motors. He was wrong. Dead wrong. He ordered an Exedy replacement clutch kit from his shops supplier for a 1989 CRX, the car he has. It did not fit. He read that the 90 has a different diameter so he ordered a clutch kit for a 1990 CRX. They sent him the wrong one. He went to Autozone and kept trying clutch kits till he found one that worked. It was listed as being for a 1998 civic which is weird because he thought 90-2000 was a universal fit. 5 days and 5 clutch kits later it's finally in the car. Ugh.

I was like "surely D series will be just as simple as B series" and then that's not how it was at all.

Probably gonna get a duckbill spoiler for the Rex. Ricer confirmed.

Car is either out of timing or needs a tune or something. Hopefully Monday I'll be able to bring it to my tuner and have him check it all out.

Put a dual overhead cam zc in it :)
20160619_133821.jpg

If I did a swap I'd take my spare b20, put my ITR internals in there and slap a b16 head on it and do the poor mans ITR but the yellow teg is still priority rn

Meh im more into making power with oldschool swaps (even though wont make 200 hp drop in like kseries)

Meh id say all reality throw a b18a1 obd0 in it ( 0 wiring and ecu swap ) and call it a day, just cruise and hammer corners in that gem

Acts like its running rich, bogs down on launch and acceleration is choppy at times. Taking it to Neil Sutton monday at 5, he saved me a lot of headache on the red teg I suspect it's either in the tune or the timing. Clutch chatters a lot when I don't give it 2k-ish rpms on launch ive got maybe 10 miles on this clutch/flywheel so far, thoughts?

So the ecu was chipped (by Neal oddly enough) but he could tell he did it a long time ago so the ECU is from something else. Some of the caps inside the ECU are leaking so i'm taking the whole thing to him to get it fixed soon ish

just replace it I wouldnt bother spending the money to repair it , you can scoop one up for around 100-150 online free shipping

He's gonna do the tune and fix the leaks for 60-80$ depending on damage to the actual ECU which he doesnt think is major so its money saved for me.

So last night I fixed a coolant leak, and did an oil change. It had a hose with no clamp running from the thermostat to the IM and it had several extra quarts of oil.
Took the ECU to Tampa and paid 60$ to get the ECU fixed and loaded with a stock z6 basemap today. He said next thing to do by way of a tuneup would be to gut the distributor

Late last night on the way home from the gym I heard a weird noise coming from the engine bay kind of like something slapping something but I have an axle that's on its way out so i didn't pay it too much mind. This afternoon I plugged my ECU back in and heard this awful noise. I was voice chatting FR-S Girl at the time and she heard it too, it was really loud and sounded like what I can only describe as a metallic thwack that seemed to coincide with the revolutions of the motor. I let it run, looked around, couldn't find anything, turned it off, turned it back on, heard the noise, turned it back off. Went inside to do something, came back out, turned it with the intent of taking a video of the noise and.... it's gone. Now it just makes a pretty awful squeaking noise along with some other stuff. I'm going to upload a video to Youtube that I took. Hopefully my block isn't trashed, i just don't know what could have caused that.

EDIT: It was the alternator. Also discovered the guy made his own "alternator bracket" and it sucked lol no room for adjustment. A tapping noise remains which my old man said is characteristic of those motors and might be fixed with some heavier oil. My brother said it probably needs a valve lash adjustment.

Last edited:
Back