Yet another engine combo question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

odnet

In the land few Like to call home, Iowa, we have many hills, twisty roads, variable weather daily, and not a single cop that cares about legality, because either he/she has a Giant Dodge ram with no cats or his/her brother does!

So...

My 1997 Civic EX is getting a little dated.. the 127k miles on the D16Y8 were great ones, but I fear a B-Series might be coming to take the young stallion to pasture. (Are you getting the whole cowboy thing yet?)

So I need some techies to fill my brain:

a. The car will be used often (3-6 times per week.)
b. Imagine it's on a road rally EVERYTIME it is out, hills, turns, curves, emergency brake usage, etc..
c. I want decent torque. (I know it's a Honda.. but MORE is better than LESS.)
d. Something that will give me hours of pleasure!
e. No Turbochargers.

After each question: (Dis) or agree 1-5
Suggestions? Replacements?

1. LS/VTEC Created by Fixed The Link

2. It doesn't say What tranny comes with it... I'm expecting an LS. I want short gearing and I don't plan on using turbo boost. Would an ITR or CTR with limited slip work better, higher torque + short gearing, I should be able to smack around a few cars?

3. J/R belt-driven Supercharger with boost upgrade kit. Does this make sense? Increases torque and hp across the band? Would this affect the transmission choice?

I appreciate all advice.
Flame away :worthy:

LS Tranny has longer gears and is suited better for boost. the package would probly come with a B16 tranny, but of course the ITR or CTR would be better. And why dont you build the motor yourself?

About your first question, out of all the research ive done on what motor would suit me best i am shooting for an LS/VTEC whenever i get me another CRX. Basically I have about the same needs as you, so i think you're probably on the right track.

Oh yeah and that link is dead, i didnt get to see the motor.

www.importbuilders.com has some really great stuff. Really expensive but great. If your looking for a motor for auto x I would stick to a type r motor. They excel at road racing and there gears and lsd would do you some good. If you do decide to do a vtec conversion I would go with the b20 over the lsvtec. The b20 has more torque.........

Not really to Auto-X, just to enjoy those high speed highway jaunts.. but I'm doing the LS/VTEC because the price is cheaper.. Since that kit has a lot of crucial ITR components, I think it works great, $5900 shipped is a little spendy, but import mechanical resources in bum-fuck Iowa are really low, I live in the capitol city (Des Moines) and supposedly we have to drive 200 miles to the nearest Chassis Dyno. Therefore my tuning abilities are limited, and finding a mechanic to fix an emergency for my own frankenstein would be at a dealership.. IF they even wanted to see it..

And buying a used motor does scare me quite a bit, because from all the beating I did to mine, I can only imagine what some of you crazy SOBs have done to yours!

$5900 sounds good for starters, I'll have to ask about the Tranny..

J/R Superchargers offer a 12psi Kit, Pump, Injectors, and Hondata for $3600.. it (lol!) even activates VTEC after 2500rpm (as long as there is 1+psi boost)

So there is a chance for 220~240wHP and maybe 180~200wTRQ. With LS/VTEC-R and 12psi Supercharged, I should enjoy my days off and the nights out.

What's wrong with this picture? :worthy:

Originally posted by senate_9427@Mar 30 2004, 08:27 AM
LS Tranny has longer gears and is suited better for boost.

Since when is accelerating slower better for anything? GSR-ITR tranny fo' sho'.

hmm......thinking something rather simple and decent and very reliable.

how about a B18c with the jackson on it.??

if strictly going NA, then JDM ITR would be a very nice start.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Mar 30 2004, 09:45 PM
hmm......thinking something rather simple and decent and very reliable.

how about a B18c with the jackson on it.??

if strictly going NA, then JDM ITR would be a very nice start.

:withstupid: .
what he said.

Back