zc and z6 sohc vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1994ex

what is the difference between these two motors? I know that one is from japan and the other one is from the US. Besides horsepower, what is the main difference? Can I use the zc ecu on the z6? any help would be greatly appreciated.

if you want a mechanical break down with spec. i will post a few for you on the differences ok

------------d16z6-------------------------------------sohc zc-------
piston to
deck height 0.000 in----------------------------------0.040 in

Piston Dome
Displacement -10.10cc-----------------------------------3.40cc
(cc per piston)

Combustion
Chamber 34.60cc-----------------------------------43.80cc
Volume
(cc per cylinder)

head gasket D16Y8 - D16Z6---------------------------D15B7 - D16A6
Thickness 0.03700000 in----------------------------0.04800000 in

compression 9.139 :1cr---------------------------------7.966 :1cr
ratio

i have a sohc zc that has pm6 pistons in it and that what i used for the specs. i heard that sohc zc do not come with dome top pistons so i am lost for what they come with stock

but here is the site i got the info from http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm

i hope this can help you

Originally posted by Dark91zc@Jun 24 2005, 09:37 AM
if you want a mechanical break down with spec. i will post a few for you on the differences ok

------------d16z6-------------------------------------sohc zc-------
piston to
deck height 0.000 in----------------------------------0.040 in

Piston Dome
Displacement -10.10cc-----------------------------------3.40cc
(cc per piston)

Combustion
Chamber 34.60cc-----------------------------------43.80cc
Volume
(cc per cylinder)

head gasket D16Y8 - D16Z6---------------------------D15B7 - D16A6
Thickness 0.03700000 in----------------------------0.04800000 in

compression 9.139 :1cr---------------------------------7.966 :1cr
ratio

i have a sohc zc that has pm6 pistons in it and that what i used for the specs. i heard that sohc zc do not come with dome top pistons so i am lost for what they come with stock

but here is the site i got the info from http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm

i hope this can help you
[post=516000]Quoted post[/post]​

Ummmm.... I'm pretty sure the sohc ZC is the same as the d16z6. Exactly.

That's a bad ass site, is there one like it for the B-series and H-series?

Yup. Enough to make a difference though. I had mine measured.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jul 4 2005, 03:56 PM-->
@Jul 4 2005, 11:53 AM
sohc zc and d16a6 are the same
[post=520413]Quoted post[/post]​

The cam is different.
[post=520456]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't you guys mean D16Z6?

As far as I know, the A6 is non vtec and the sohc ZC does have VTEC. It's the dohc ZC that is non VTEC.

d16a6 = sohc non vtec 108hp
d16z6 = sohc vtec 125hp
sohc zc = sohc vtec 130hp
dohc zc = dohc non vtec ?hp (I think it's 130 as well?)

I've seen both ZCs, non-VTEC and VTEC.

The SOHC ZC VTEC and D16Z6 are basically the same motors but with different camshafts. External appearance between them are the same. However, on the SOHC ZC VTEC, you will see ZC stamped on the block. There is also another JDM variant, the D16A, which resembles the D16Z6, but the block is stamped D16A.

The SOHC ZC and D16A6 are also basically the same motors but with different camshafts again. External appearance between them are the same. However, on the SOHC ZC, you will also see ZC stamped on the block. The SOHC ZC motor should give out 114-115hp.

Originally posted by Punisher@Jul 6 2005, 01:46 AM
I've seen both ZCs, non-VTEC and VTEC.

The SOHC ZC and D16A6 are also basically the same motors but with different camshafts again. External appearance between them are the same. However, on the SOHC ZC, you will also see ZC stamped on the block. The SOHC ZC motor should give out 114-115hp.
[post=521318]Quoted post[/post]​

external AND internals are exactly the same between the a6 and sohc non vtec zc, rods, pistons, cylinder head, everything. the only difference is in the cam. and of course the stamp on the block

Originally posted by Punisher@Jul 6 2005, 03:46 AM

:werd:

I've owned the SOHC non-VTEC ZC. If you look at the threads on dseries.org where a few guys from a shop measured the SOHC ZC camshaft, they got the measurements from MY SOHC ZC engine.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jul 6 2005, 10:44 PM-->
@Jul 6 2005, 03:46 AM

:werd:

I've owned the SOHC non-VTEC ZC. If you look at the threads on dseries.org where a few guys from a shop measured the SOHC ZC camshaft, they got the measurements from MY SOHC ZC engine.
[post=521902]Quoted post[/post]​

Cal, you are confusing me bro..... I thought there were only 2 ZC motors. A dohc and a sohc. In my experience the sohc has VTEC while the dohc does not. Both should be @ 130 hp. Neither, I thought were sohc non vtec with under 120 hp. My friend had a VTEC sohc ZC motor in his 94 coupe. It felt exactly like my d16z6 and sounded like it too. What gives? Is the d16a6 really VTEC, or dohc? Are there 3 ZC motors? I'm so confused.... :blink:

if the only difference is the cams, can i use the zc sohc ecu on the z6. will it run like shit or will it run normal. am i going to have to change out the cams.

Originally posted by 1994ex@Jul 7 2005, 09:13 AM
if the only difference is the cams, can i use the zc sohc ecu on the z6. will it run like shit or will it run normal. am i going to have to change out the cams.
[post=522117]Quoted post[/post]​

if you have the zc vtec ecu go for it otherwise get a get a p28 from a sol for the z6

Back