180-200 whp - turbo or swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

In case you decided to build up your block, may I suggest....zeeeeeeeeeeee's! FJ Distributors

They make a kit that includes all the seals, bearings (though as Blanco will tell you, you're better off with OEM bearings if I'm correct) timing belt, water pump, Vitara pistons and will cost $300. You will need aftermarket rods though. That is IF you would like to build your bottom end up though. It would cost you to have it done, but heck, peace of mind is always a good thing to me. *smiles* Whichever way you decide to go, I wish you the best of luck on your build my friend. Please keep us posted.

mine does about 4100 at 70mph.... and i missed alot of reading and didnt go back and look, just kept goin from where it was when i looked again, i would also hate to see some goin off and turboing a z6 and in a year wish they would of built it so im trowing the idea out there

Ok I apologize for miss informing him out of my pure lazy ness. On another note my yach isn't off but its possible my speedo is off but I doubt that because comparing myself to the Ave. Person who drives on the freeway they prolly do 5-10 over and I match myself to them

Ok I apologize for miss informing him out of my pure lazy ness. On another note my tach isn't off but its possible my speedo is off but I doubt that because comparing myself to the Ave. Person who drives on the freeway they prolly do 5-10 over and I match myself to them

Um, it shouldn't be at 4100rpm at 70mph. Either your tach or speedometer is off.

He's not looking for a race car. He's looking for a fun daily driver. 200whp in an EG hatch is faster than the last model Mustang GT. Power to weight ratios work out to .10 for the turbo'd Z6 EG and .07 for a 2001 Mustang GT. Hell, a 2001 SVT Cobra has a p/w ration of .09. The bigger the number, the faster the car.

He does not need to spend money building the engine.

Hey Scott, if I bought you a Snicker's bar and a subscription to Time magazine, would you allow me to tap into that smart noggin' of yours and soak up some of the knowledge you have? :D

Make it a Butterfinger and Modern Drummer and you're on! :lmao:

HAHAHA! In that case, I'll buy you STOCK in Butterfinger, then have a case delivered to your house by the publisher of Modern Drummer with a lifetime subscription to their magazine, in addition to any engine of your choice. Will that work? :D

i agree! k ftw! although with the k popping up pretty soon b will be at the prices the d is now. i cant wait!

Wrong. K series popularity will not necessarily cause a decrease in the price of alternative goods because they are not direct market replacements. A rise in K series poularity will create a short term spike in K prices followed by a flattening toward a cheaper equilibrium. If anything, the B series will become MORE expensive as they are no longer being produced and the supply of available B series engines is shrinking every time we destroy one! Try to find a good c5 ten years from now. :eek:

i agree! k ftw! although with the k popping up pretty soon b will be at the prices the d is now. i cant wait!

dude locally in the nw a legit b16a and tranny can be had for 1200$ those days are here.

hell he could probably do that swap AND turbo it for less than 3500, and why is anyone even talking about the k series?

turbo the d, be conservative with boost and turbo size, and you'll end up with a responsive, fun to drive, RELIABLE little daily driver.

dude locally in the nw a legit b16a and tranny can be had for 1200$ those days are here.

hell he could probably do that swap AND turbo it for less than 3500, and why is anyone even talking about the k series?

turbo the d, be conservative with boost and turbo size, and you'll end up with a responsive, fun to drive, RELIABLE little daily driver.

There were like (2) K series comments and it was just an idea, thoughtless yes, because his goals don't need something of that caliber, but the K series has a ton of potential and is a far superior motor compared to a B or D series.

:thumbsup: you agree with what we've been saying on the Turbo D.

Make it a Butterfinger and Modern Drummer and you're on! :lmao:

Your prices are down!!!!! Back when he was helping me It cost me my first born child and I had to bake him a friggin' pie!!!:p

For 8wrench;

turbo D all the way!!! Re fresh the motor and find your turbo parts and go for it. Best way to go to meet your eco/money criteria bar-none. If you decide to go bigger later on, Mr BLANCO ( scott to some people ) walked me through my z6 build and I had never touched the inside of an engine before. $1213.53 bought me Vitara pistons, EAGLE Hbeams, a full on rebuild kit ( gaskets/pumps/bearings/etc. ) ARP head studs, 3 angle valve job + head cleaning (Machine shop $340), and all the little various tools /odds-n-ends I needed to build it myself. Apparently a Butterfinger and a copy of the latest MODERN DRUMMER will you get you the knowledge you need.

As for the B swap ideas, trash them. You can match the output of a $1200 B16 swap with mear bolt on mods made to your D.

Back