1995 Probe Trans Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
so we just picked up a 1995 gt probe with the v6 and auto trans

i guess its the 4EAT 4 speed auto

the problem is this...

the car can be cruising, lets say 4K 50 mph...
you let off the gas, the motor winds down to 1K, then you want to accelerate again, you hit the gas, the motor winds all the way to 4K then you get a bit of a jolt, and only THEN will it resume acceleration...

what gives?

its a Probe

they go bad....constantly

Probe, MX-6, 626...they all have that tranny/problem

my cousin rear ended a probe last year :blink:
or did he probe it :wink:

no idea. all i know its a KLZE motor with 200hp, it can swap in the Mx-3

Someone may have attempted to make it a drag car, dont remember what thats called when they do that to an auto tranny though

because one of my Supras did that, and it turned out to be a torque convertor. Unfortunate for me, it really turned into a torque convertor issue when the TC spun up and blew up.

the TC is just like a clutch, and since it's happening at a specific RPM, I immediately think TC.

ah, let me rephrase

it happens thoughout the rpm range

if you are accelerating up until 3K, then let off, the motor returns to idle, if you attempt to re-accelerate, or you push the gas pedal down, the car will NOT do shit until the motor reaches the rpm that it left off at...

or it could be 5K, etc...

does that explain it any better? :cry:

because one of my Supras did that, and it turned out to be a torque convertor. Unfortunate for me, it really turned into a torque convertor issue when the TC spun up and blew up.

the TC is just like a clutch, and since it's happening at a specific RPM, I immediately think TC.

see, now i re-read this and it makes sense

i've done some more research and i think the torque converter lockup is not doing what it should be doing...

i pray to god its just a solonoid, i do not want to rip that trans out...

Quoted post[/post]]

see, now i re-read this and it makes sense

i've done some more research and i think the torque converter lockup is not doing what it should be doing...

i pray to god its just a solonoid, i do not want to rip that trans out...

What kind of Probe is it? The ford one, or the Mitsubishi one ? The Mits one is no more easier or difficult than your usual Honda transmission (Which is about like pulling a pickup truck through a chainlink fence without breaking the links)

What kind of Probe is it? The ford one, or the Mitsubishi one ? The Mits one is no more easier or difficult than your usual Honda transmission (Which is about like pulling a pickup truck through a chainlink fence without breaking the links)

mitsu? or mazda? i;m pretty sure they're mazda designs...

its a 95 new body style, same motor and trans as the 626 i think

we got the car for 400 bucks for my friends dad, it wasn't suspossed to be a project...
just a turn key operation...

and doing a manual swap on a ford is just such a sorry waste of time, at least to me...
i had a probe when i was 18 and dumb...
honda FTW

Im with celerity on the Torque convertor being the problem. Its not applying the right amount of hydraulic pressure to the input shaft. It looses pressure and takes a while for it to build up, which in a lot of cases seems to be at a high RPM. I replace Odyssey transmissions so often with this same exact problem. And after a while it will set a P0740 Code which is "Torque convertor Clutch failure". I hate to say it but that seems to be your problem.

ok, i have very little auto trans experience

what other symptoms would a TC problem display?

how would the take off from a stop be affected?

there are actually 3 ways in which a TC can fail:

You'll come to a stop, and the car will stall. It will be stuck "in gear". That's when the fluid has a blockage and won't seperate from the crank.

Then it can fail where it will stop and idle ok, but you'll need to rev it a bit for it to catch. This is kinda what's happening to you - It leaves off at the top RPM, and then it seems to get "stuck" off the crank until it's jostled around a bit and will catch.

then it can simply not grab. You can rev and rev and it won't ever catch. Like you're in neutral.

Back