1996 Camry

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was looking into 98-02 accords 2 years ago. There are a few drawbacks if you get a dx or lx one. It has the non vtec, lower hp engine, steelies, rear drums, likely no ABS, and softer suspension tuning. Still a nice car, just felt like driving an econobox. The ex models feel much better IMO.

Hmmm, good to know. Thanks!

I was looking into 98-02 accords 2 years ago. There are a few drawbacks if you get a dx or lx one. It has the non vtec, lower hp engine, steelies, rear drums, likely no ABS, and softer suspension tuning. Still a nice car, just felt like driving an econobox. The ex models feel much better IMO.
I'm going to have to argue with you on the lx portion here....

98-02 LX Accords have VTEC. It's a matter of whether or not its the F23A4, or the F23A1. You want the A1; because the A4 is a ULEV, and as such is detuned.

As far as steelies, drums, and no ABS, you're right though. Although, I'd have to imagine that ABS could be an option, though maybe not.

I used to have a 98 Accord LX, and it was a great car. Handled fine for a stock fwd sedan, had good power, great fuel economy, was comfortable, good steering feel, roomy, etc etc.

Also, on the issue of Accord vs. Camry:
98-02 Accord > 96 Camry

My brother owns a 96 Camry, and the only thing it has over the Accord is the non-interference engine, which is a double edged sword anyway.

That 99 is going to need timing belt at either 115000 or 120000. I can't remember for sure, but it's a pretty big service at one of the two.

EDIT* I figured before someone tries to say "It isn't real VTEC" I should note that they only have VTEC on the intake valves. Exhaust valves only have one profile.

Last edited:
98-02 LX Accords have VTEC. It's a matter of whether or not its the F23A4, or the F23A1. You want the A1; because the A4 is a ULEV, and as such is detuned.

You are right. It's the DX cars that come with the 135hp non vtec 2.3. The rest have a 150hp vtec.

If you decide on an accord, get the 5 speed. The autos aren't known for being rock solid. If it comes down to an automatic car, get the camry - those are bulletproof.

Soo...how do you guys feel about the V6 Accord from 98-02? They only come in auto, so it will have to be an automatic, but I did finally find one with decent mileage for the year and seems to be in good shape. It's actually at a Honda dealership, somebody traded it in for a new Accord.

Anybody have experience with these? Thoughts? 200 horses, torque, and leather would be a welcome change from my Integra, but I don't know if the V6s and accompanying auto trannies are any less reliable than Honda's 4 cylinder stuff...

i think they are great cars. if you can get it for a good price, it would be worth it.

i think they are great cars. if you can get it for a good price, it would be worth it.

They want just under 6K for it. It's an 01 with 109k miles, EX with leather, silver color. Lot of miles yeah, but it's pretty low considering the year. All the other 98-02 coupes I found were in the 150-200k mileage range...

The slushboxes are weak points on the early 00's v6 Accords. Particularly the 5AT when it first came out. The thing was such a POS, Honda developed an entirely new 5AT by 03 or 04. That's the reason Honda lags in auto trans technology now. I'm pretty sure the 98-02 had the 4AT though. I'd do some research into them.

About 5 years ago, I bought a 95 camry. Anyway, 5 years and almost 100,000 miles ago, I have probably only spent $500 in parts for it. So, with 215,000, I even took it on a cross-country trip with my new-born son and wife, the car gave me no problem. Now it has 221,000. I would say the best car I have ever owned. My honda I have only owned for 5 months, but I am hoping it will last like my camry.

About 5 years ago, I bought a 95 camry. Anyway, 5 years and almost 100,000 miles ago, I have probably only spent $500 in parts for it. So, with 215,000, I even took it on a cross-country trip with my new-born son and wife, the car gave me no problem. Now it has 221,000. I would say the best car I have ever owned. My honda I have only owned for 5 months, but I am hoping it will last like my camry.

Thanks for the insight man. How does it handle?

The Accord I was looking at got sold, so back to the drawing board unfortunately...

I'd also look at a 95-99 Maxima. I've owned 2 and am partial to them. 5 speeds are fairly easy to find and they will run low 15's out of the box. The I averaged 25mpg in mine, and that is with several WOT runs on every trip:D They arnt quite as bulletproof as say a 4 banger Camry or Accord, but it feels and drives like a more substantial car.

My dad owns a 98 V6. The transmission has been replaced, but it happened in the mid to high 200's. Also, if he had taken the car in when the transmission first started to slip, then he may have been able to get away with just a torque converter. I was actually driving the car when it really hit the fan. It wouldn't go into 3rd or 4th gear, just 1 and 2.

Overall, though, it's a great car. I think it's up to 320-340K, and the last non-scheduled maintenance was, well, I can't think of the actual name, but it's basically a screen and o-ring gasket on the vtec solenoid. Oil started leaking there lightly a long time ago, and then it got pretty steady several months ago, and my brother actually replaced it for him.

I'd also look at a 95-99 Maxima. I've owned 2 and am partial to them. 5 speeds are fairly easy to find and they will run low 15's out of the box. The I averaged 25mpg in mine, and that is with several WOT runs on every trip:D They arnt quite as bulletproof as say a 4 banger Camry or Accord, but it feels and drives like a more substantial car.

Cool, I'll look into Maximas. Any major maintenance or reliability issues to be concerned with?

My dad owns a 98 V6. The transmission has been replaced, but it happened in the mid to high 200's. Also, if he had taken the car in when the transmission first started to slip, then he may have been able to get away with just a torque converter. I was actually driving the car when it really hit the fan. It wouldn't go into 3rd or 4th gear, just 1 and 2.

Overall, though, it's a great car. I think it's up to 320-340K, and the last non-scheduled maintenance was, well, I can't think of the actual name, but it's basically a screen and o-ring gasket on the vtec solenoid. Oil started leaking there lightly a long time ago, and then it got pretty steady several months ago, and my brother actually replaced it for him.

Yeah, I really like the coupes, but I guess a V6 sedan would be cool too...

Not sure on your price range but this one shouldn't be too far from you based on the zip code I grew up in.

• 95,800 miles

• Blue

2002 NISSAN MAXIMA 6 SPEED MANUAL,95850 MILES SECOND OWNER,NEVER BEEN IN ACCIDENTS,VERY CLEAN NON SMOKER,NO PETS,ALL SCHEDUALED MAINTENANCE DONE ON... read more
View the details of this vehicle

Cool, I'll look into Maximas. Any major maintenance or reliability issues to be concerned with?

This applies to 95-03 Maximas.

-Body wise, the lower core support is prone to rusting out. Make sure to check that out if you look at one.
-The other rust prone area is the rear rockers. Something to check out coming from the snow belt.
-The newer ones were more prone to coil packs going out. You will know if one is bad...
-Weak spot of the manual trannies is the output shaft carrier bearings. When they go bad it will leak where the driveshafts exit the trans. Easy to look for.
-The 3.0 from 95-01 is solid as a rock. The 02-03's had documented oil consumption issues.

Generally they are really solid cars. I'd do the following mods to make it perfect: Slap on a $200 Y Pipe and see another 15-20whp. Get a rear sway bar and really reduce the body roll... Short throw shifter to reduce the truckish shift throws.

This applies to 95-03 Maximas.

-Body wise, the lower core support is prone to rusting out. Make sure to check that out if you look at one.
-The other rust prone area is the rear rockers. Something to check out coming from the snow belt.
-The newer ones were more prone to coil packs going out. You will know if one is bad...
-Weak spot of the manual trannies is the output shaft carrier bearings. When they go bad it will leak where the driveshafts exit the trans. Easy to look for.
-The 3.0 from 95-01 is solid as a rock. The 02-03's had documented oil consumption issues.

Generally they are really solid cars. I'd do the following mods to make it perfect: Slap on a $200 Y Pipe and see another 15-20whp. Get a rear sway bar and really reduce the body roll... Short throw shifter to reduce the truckish shift throws.

Cool. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Back