1996 Integra Build (B18B1)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Xanatos

Village Idiot
VIP
Hello guys! Some of you may have seen my post under the Integra section.
Here's what I bought....
20150329_092549.jpg
20150329_092605.jpg
20150329_092443.jpg
20150329_092453.jpg
20150329_092501.jpg
20150329_092508.jpg
20150329_092525.jpg

I've never made a "build thread" or anything like that before so any advice is welcome.

The previous owner bought a whole bunch of parts and stuff so I'll catalog them as I go.
Price Paid: $2000
INVENTORY:
Dissasembled B18B1 motor
A 2nd Clean painted B18B1 block
2000 Conversion Front End
4-2-1 Headers
Aftermarket Intake
3" Catback exhaust (unsure of brand)
Nice wheels
Halo Headlights
OEM Headlights
Radiator
Condensor
Coilovers
Type R Pistons
More coming as I make an actual paper list....

Last edited:
Not a bad grab for 2 grand at all. nice trailer too :)
what are you planning to do with this guy ?

Not a bad grab for 2 grand at all. nice trailer too :)
what are you planning to do with this guy ?
Would you believe my dad bought that trailer for 1800 and modified it to fit a winch? lol.

I'm gonna build up and turbo the clean block. It's basically going to be my first project car. You can see where the core support was poorly welded in there and not fixed properly and the front might be swayed so I got some body work to do first then I'm going to put the whole thing in my dads basement workshop and build it.

you better get a good alarm for it. even though it isn't a real ITR, people are going to try and steal it thinking it is.

sweet car, glad sombody got it thats going to put it back on the road, and yes ^ Id get a alarm hot ticket car done right lol

you better get a good alarm for it. even though it isn't a real ITR, people are going to try and steal it thinking it is.
Yeah the guy I bought it from lived in the sketchier part of Tampa and said people had tried to steal it before. I honestly live in a fairly rich beach town but you can never be too safe. I appreciate the support from everyone. For a kid like me to take on something like this god knows I need it lol...

I had a 99 gs and I LOVED IT , was prob the best daily ive ever owned, damn near perfect body, immaculate black leather interior, traded it for my 79 civic (the car that got me into cars)
1393670_10153320607780076_141829426_n.jpg

Yeah the guy I bought it from lived in the sketchier part of Tampa and said people had tried to steal it before. I honestly live in a fairly rich beach town but you can never be too safe. I appreciate the support from everyone. For a kid like me to take on something like this god knows I need it lol...

Uhhh...living in a "fairly rich beach town" makes you more of a target. lol Where do you think thieves go shopping, the hood or the rich neighborhoods?

True true on the rich town being a target. And the guy lived off of South Armenia, near Raymond James @whiterabbit06
I've been to Ybor once for a concert and it was... A new experience lol.

Close enough, lol. I used to live off of Fowler. I used to go bar/club hopping in Ybor all the time until there were like 3 stabbings in a circle about 20 ft from where I was one right after the other.

MORE INVENTORY
20150331_213125.jpg 20150401_093125.jpg 20150401_093134.jpg 20150401_093145.jpg 20150401_093156.jpg 20150401_093203.jpg 20150401_093211.jpg 20150401_093220.jpg

So these are the parts the guy had already bought and had for the engine rebuild.
2x "Streetpro" Gasket Kit
1x "Supertech" block guard
1x "Gates" Performance Belt Kit
1x "ARP" Stud Kit
1x "ARP" HKP 12 point nuts
1x "Hastings" piston rings
1x Haynes Repair Manual
Did he go cheap ? Are these good parts? Is this everything I'm going to be needing?
Thanks for the help guys.
ALSO
I have the Type R pistons (also have OEM ones from the original motor)... this made me wonder about putting a GSR head on my b18b1 block, I understand this is a thing, but can it be done without adding the VTEC? If so, what exactly am I going to need ($$$)? And what exactly can I hope to get out of it?

Last edited:
I wouldn't use the block guard, they are to keep the cylinders from shifting side to side but they block coolant from properly cooling the very top of the cylinders. You won't have to worry about cylinder shift unless you are searching for higher than ~350-400 HP and if that's the case you should be looking into getting sleeves.

MORE INVENTORY

So these are the parts the guy had already bought and had for the engine rebuild.
2x "Streetpro" Gasket Kit
1x "Supertech" block guard
1x "Gates" Performance Belt Kit
1x "ARP" Stud Kit
1x "ARP" HKP 12 point nuts
1x "Hastings" piston rings
1x Haynes Repair Manual
Did he go cheap ? Are these good parts? Is this everything I'm going to be needing?
Thanks for the help guys.
ALSO
I have the Type R pistons (also have OEM ones from the original motor)... this made me wonder about putting a GSR head on my b18b1 block, I understand this is a thing, but can it be done without adding the VTEC? If so, what exactly am I going to need ($$$)? And what exactly can I hope to get out of it?

The block guard isn't necessary. The ARP stud kit is worth keeping. Everything else you might as well keep around in case you need it during the build.

As for the pistons, I'd ditch the Type R pistons and put that money towards a set of forged pistons and rods. Adding the GSR head to the B18B1 block is an excellent choice for both all motor and turbo applications (I can speak from experience on the turbo part, especially) - the larger diameter valves are worth it alone. Not to mention you'll likely get better fuel economy due to the variable cam profile. If you do swap this cylinder head onto your B18B1 block, it would be silly of you not to use VTEC.

The idea behind VTEC is simple - use a smaller cam profile in the lower RPM's, then a larger cam profile in the higher RPM's. This simple idea maintains all the power that we love whilst improving the fuel economy significantly. To put it into perspective, my build was a straight B18B1 with Crower stage 2 turbo cams. It made great power. I swapped over to the GSR head, sold the car, and the guy that bought it is now making more power on the same amount of boost and is also getting an average of ~6mpg more than I ever managed with the straight B18B1 cylinder head.

The LS-VTEC seems daunting at first but it is well worth the effort if you're looking for a little more power. Also, it really isn't as difficult to tune as everyone makes it seem on the interwebs.

All that said, my advice to you is to keep it as simple as possible. This isn't meant to offend you or anything, but I can tell from the questions you have asked that it would be best for you to put the bottom end together with some pistons and rods, break it in all motor, then add the turbo kit later. Keep the cylinder head stock for now - you can always go back later and add the VTEC cylinder head.

Back