1996 Integra Build (B18B1)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The block guard isn't necessary. The ARP stud kit is worth keeping. Everything else you might as well keep around in case you need it during the build.

As for the pistons, I'd ditch the Type R pistons and put that money towards a set of forged pistons and rods. Adding the GSR head to the B18B1 block is an excellent choice for both all motor and turbo applications (I can speak from experience on the turbo part, especially) - the larger diameter valves are worth it alone. Not to mention you'll likely get better fuel economy due to the variable cam profile. If you do swap this cylinder head onto your B18B1 block, it would be silly of you not to use VTEC.

The idea behind VTEC is simple - use a smaller cam profile in the lower RPM's, then a larger cam profile in the higher RPM's. This simple idea maintains all the power that we love whilst improving the fuel economy significantly. To put it into perspective, my build was a straight B18B1 with Crower stage 2 turbo cams. It made great power. I swapped over to the GSR head, sold the car, and the guy that bought it is now making more power on the same amount of boost and is also getting an average of ~6mpg more than I ever managed with the straight B18B1 cylinder head.

The LS-VTEC seems daunting at first but it is well worth the effort if you're looking for a little more power. Also, it really isn't as difficult to tune as everyone makes it seem on the interwebs.

All that said, my advice to you is to keep it as simple as possible. This isn't meant to offend you or anything, but I can tell from the questions you have asked that it would be best for you to put the bottom end together with some pistons and rods, break it in all motor, then add the turbo kit later. Keep the cylinder head stock for now - you can always go back later and add the VTEC cylinder head.
Tbh I like what you're saying. I'm going to have a mahine shop my dad uses hone and build the short block (with the forged rods and pistons) and then I'll put the rest of it together with the new parts and break in the motor non turbo. I was planning to turbo it later on after I had i running anyways. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it especially from someone who has been there before.

Tbh I like what you're saying. I'm going to have a mahine shop my dad uses hone and build the short block (with the forged rods and pistons) and then I'll put the rest of it together with the new parts and break in the motor non turbo. I was planning to turbo it later on after I had i running anyways. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it especially from someone who has been there before.

since you have it all taken apart and sounds like you have the resources, just build it up right from the beginning. it might take a bit longer, but if you build the block now, you'll have better results and more options down the road.

So I had a core support ordered and I guess they damaged it cutting it off the donor vehicle so I have to find another one. I really want to get the body squared away so the engine can be my sole focus.

My friend (has a 2004 V6 Accord he's done a lot of work to, his dad is a mechanic at a Honda dealership) wants me to make it a Type R "clone" since it has the paint. Personally I don't want to be a poser especially if its not gonna have a Type R driveline. Thoughts?

You'll just disappoint the thieves. lol

pretty much what I said before.

Before you put anymore money into this, you have to accept a huge fact. Owning an integra/honda, it will get stolen. There is a saying with motorcycle riders, "there are two riders. riders who have crashed, and riders who haven't crashed YET".

Every minute you own that yellow car, you are counting down until it gets stolen. If you sell it before it gets stolen, you win. Get a shitload of insurance and understand that there is a 90% chance of it getting stolen if you own it more than 2 years.

Back on topic. Turbo LS/vtec>>>>ITR motor. ITR motor is worth more simply because a legit engine is rare. Build it with good internals and turbo down the road. That's why i go back to what i said about selling everything you dont' need for your build and re-investing those dollars. Dont' worry about being a "poser" because it really doesn't matter. It's just a cool color of car.

There's so many parts out there. Wow.
To just get the engine built up internally I'd like to spend no more than $1000 leaving me room to play with for the turbo kit and this is including the honing/building of the short block. Money saved is money earned that can be put towards other things. But I want a GOOD reliable build, and therefore will shell out cash if that is what is needed.
That said: I'm literally lost looking at all these parts. My initial research led me to this combination of rods and pistons...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nippon-Raci...6A-B18B-B18C-SI-LS-81-5mm-020-H-/181553547195
http://www.partspowerhouse.com/skun...od-for-honda-b18a-b18b-b20a-and-b20z-engines/
I understand Skunk 2 to be a good brand from everything I've read I'm just not sure about if that's considered a good price or a reliable site to buy from.
The pistons allegedly give you a 9.23.1 compression ratio with B18B block and head. I have a ring kit so I would like to find just the floating pistons to be put on heads. I couldn't find skunk 2 pistons for said motor (i figure matching up a set would be ideal).

@Matts96HB What parts did you use for the internal of your motor?

The theft rate on a type r isn't really that bad is it?

So I figured I would share this as well.
20150328_133515.jpg
My dad has been letting me drive his 2007 S2000 with 43k original miles on it. He accidentally bought it at auction (don't ask) and we fixed it up, put a new clutch in it and gave it a custom paintjob with this textured look we do that I call "synthetic carbon fiber". He painted it to match my mom's 2004 350Z (with only like 56k miles on it).

This car will always be special to me because it taught me how to drive stick and introduced me to VTEC at 6000-8000rpms.
Just thought I'd share since you guys like Honda products.

Actually he finally sold the S2K for 14.5k. It had been for sale for like 2 years so he at least got his money back. Gonna miss it but it's more motivation to build the teggy

trying to bid up the competition, you get stiched with it.

haven't you ever watched storage wars? lol

trying to bid up the competition, you get stiched with it.

haven't you ever watched storage wars? lol
He bought it off Copart. He bid without looking at the title status, turned out it had been in a flood though we didn't find any evidence of it. Someone else outbid him but then there was a complication with the other person and he ended up being the highest bidder. Hence he's not allowed to go on CoPart without supervision :p though my mom wants a 2014 Honda Odyssey so we're looking for a smashed one now.

I bought a b16 del sol through Copart several years ago.

I don't know if it was employees or other people going through there, but someone stripped a bunch of little pieces out of the car between purchase and taking it home. I was pissed.

This may be treason of the worst nature but I almost bought a 1991 Celica GTS off CoPart before the Teggy. It sold for well under my budget but I didn't have my dads information to log in and bid and by the time I guessed it it was too late.
Seems like it worked out for the best though. I'm happy with the Teggy. This Saturday I'm unloading it and my friend Tim (grew up together, his dad used to work for mine, he works at a custom shop the next town over) is gonna help me give it a quick detail and inventory all the parts bolts and stuff.

No hate... most of us don't own honda's any more. lol

i've been thinking about taking a test drive in an s2000 again... last time, i didn't fit. i'm smaller now though lol

So here's a picture of my Teggy when it was all together. Makes me excited to get it back to it's form

Attachments

• 00I0I_jd5lzejckjO_600x450.jpg
    00I0I_jd5lzejckjO_600x450.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 280
Back