1996 Prelude Rev issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Could be. Idk. There is 2 different A1's though. One is dohc and the other is sohc.

well i wouldnt go to that extent...... because the F22b is DOHC and the H23 is a DOHC..... so ya just so there is no confusion for anyone else
In the context of a prelude engine, I stand by my comment. Yes there are others out there.

Well if everything goes as planned, I should have the prelude later this afternoon. I will post some pics of it and try the advice to get it to idle properly. I hope its an easy fix. LOL

I just found out that it doesn't have any exhaust on it, just a header. Could that have an effect on the way the engine is surging? I think this thing is going to drive me crazy.

Update!!! Its not a H22 but a F22. Still doing the revv thing but just got it home about 10 minutes ago and now its dark. I'll post some pics of it tomorrow and see what you guys think.

well i wouldnt go to that extent...... because the F22b is DOHC and the H23 is a DOHC..... so ya just so there is no confusion for anyone else

There are single-cam versions of the F22B also. That's what the 94-97 Accord motors are, the F22B2 (for the DX/LX/SE) and the F22B1 (the VTEC version for the EX).

Actually the f22A1 is dohc too. Didnt think about that. Still its not the h22 like lowrollin82 is being promised. The type r accord did have an h22a in 97. Maybe thats where it came from. Hmm...:huh:

Since 01-12-2004, 01:51 AM i guess. I just checked and someone posted a thread about it. Check it out: https://hondaswap.com/reference-materials/honda-engine-list-29128/

That is definitely a typo in that list. The F22A1 that came in the 92-96 Prelude was a single-cam engine, not a dual-cam...

Update!!! Its not a H22 but a F22. Still doing the revv thing but just got it home about 10 minutes ago and now its dark. I'll post some pics of it tomorrow and see what you guys think.
F22B?

Fast idle thermo valve....FITV . Remove the 2 screws in the copper colored plate, tighten the white valve inside down by turning it clockwise, righty tighty, then put the plate back on. Use a big chisel to tighted the valve down. Dont over tighten.

Its an F22b2, sohc. Its leaking antifreeze out of a spot on the back of the engine, on the drivers side where a black hard line goes in. I need to find out what that is so I know if I want to keep the engine or not.

I'm looking at getting a 96 prelude from a guy but when you start it, it revs high then drops. It does this the entire time its running. He told me that he swapped the engine for one out of a 1997 Accord and its supposed to be a h22. I have never had or messed with Hondas before so I have no clue where to even start looking to fix the problem. Any help would be great.
:cool: I just posted reply for a similar problem on this thread: https://hondaswap.com/hybrid-ed-ef-da/surging-problem-91-civic-b16-112878/ See if it will help you. I have a '94 Accord LX that I bought last Thanksgiving. I had the same problem you did for several weeks. Then last night it quit altogether. Changed the TPS, and voila! No surging.

Back