1997 civic lx wanting to swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yeah ok i see what i need to get jerkaloics iwill just save more money and get what i need to get thank you i feel the love jabroni :angry:

no, your just not fucking reading, your thinking that your way will be better, and you dont even know how to spell simple words. Trust us, buying a cable tranny b16, the cable tranny is only a third of your problems. Your car is OBD2, that engine is OBD0, which means non of the plugs match up, so your going to have to rewire THE ENTIRE ENGINE. I have only seen one person actually do this swap, and actually it was less dificult then what your trying to do. He put an OBD0 engine in his OBD1 car. He spent over 5 months wireing the thing, and the person doing the wiring had his masters in electrical engineering. Dont be a fucking retard. Read, don't try and cheap things out, don't be fucking stupid.

i put an obd0 engine in my 98....runs like a bizzach!

took me just over 6 months, did it my goddamn self :D

dude i am getting the whole engine i am getting the whole front of the car from the steering wheel to the head light i am getting every wire and the ecu i understand what you are saying so i got it i am just getting the b16 from a 95 just need to save more money ok thank you for all your help tho and if you can n00b are you still selling those bars for the rear let me know thanks

.......except that everything except the motor, tranny, mounts, and ecu is worthless.

you cant use a jdm harness on a usdm car. especially on an ek, and especially not an obd1 harness on an ek.

it'd be cheaper to just buy a swap from hmotorsonline, and buy the mounts on ebay.

ok talk to me about this i need to know about this the tranny is settled i understand that. now if i by this engine from the 95 civic what am going to need besides the motor mounts? if i get the wiring harness from that car can i use it on my car which is a 97. i am getting the ecu, tranny, wiring harness, axles, sensors, now what else do i need to buy? and do i have to have my car re-wired to get it all to work? :blink:

wiring harness will not work with your car
ECU will not work with your car
injectors will not work with your harness
distributor will not work with your harness
alternator will not work with your harness

the swap itself will not be legal ANYWHERE... it is illegal to put an OBD-1 engine in an OBD-2 car... some states check some dont

you can do a swap
you just need to get one from the same or newer OBD (OBD-2a or OBD2b)

if you dont give a fuck about it being legal
(ie: you live in some backwoods place that doesnt check any of that shit)
then you can do whatever the fuck you want ... just modify your stock engine harness to fit the plugs and run a conversion harness to the ECU

ok so basically you mean if i get the engine from the 92-95 civic the engine is going to fail emmissions right? but what if where i live doesn't do it can i change it later to make it leagal or am i going to have to get a whole new engine

if where you are from doesnt check emmisions then chances are no one will ever know you are running an illegal setup

if for some odd reason someone checks you might be in trouble

there is no way in hell for an OBD-1 engine to pass OBD-2 emissions (OBD-2 test plugs into the ECU... this can not be done on an OBD-1 ECU)
OBD-2 also has a few more sensors and shit than OBD-1... so converting an OBD-1 engine to OBD-2 is a pain in the ass

ok now we are on the right path. i am willing to do the conversion what would i have to do to get that conversion on my car? and also if i get the OBD1 on my 97 will it work? and can i change it over eventually to a OBD?

Ok about to light this up ready? now i understand the whole OBD2 thing going on here but here is the question i don't understand "Why wouldn't it work?" Being that i am getting the entire front of the car including the O2 sensor that is on the wiring harness that is connected to the ecu why wouldn't it work? if i am taking everything out of my car (97 civic lx incase your forgot) including the headers the cat the mounts the wiring harness and even some of the exhaust so i can make it match up. how is it that the OBD1 will not work and why would i need a converter if the wiring harness is hooked up to the ecu already that i am getting? so now with that will it work on my car? and please so stupid ass answers i am new to the game and i can't figure out why this set up will not work :angry:

you need a '96-'98 EX harness, an obd2a to OBD1 jumper, along with an OBD1 ecu(p28, or p30), perferably a 99-00 B16A2, if not a 92-95 B16, but if you get a 92-95 B16 you might need a different distributor and the plug on the alternator might be different(just change the plugs. let me know if you need help

ok but why would i need it if i have an empty engine bay with no wires no engine no ecu no anything in it i still don't get why i would need all that stuff basically i am making my car a 95 if get the SIR II because everything is going to be changed under the hood nothing is going to be there so why would i need a 96-98 ex harness? B)

BECAUSE AN OBD1 CAR IS FUCKING DIFFERENT THAN AN OBD2 CAR....DO YOU SPEAKA DA ENGRISH?!?! jesus fucking christ read the goddamn motherfucking swap section!!! or just read the 20something posts in this thread TELLING YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO DO THE SWAP!

if you dont want stupid ass answers, then stop asking stupid ass questions.

Back