2012 Veloster

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wouldnt be so bad if the hood stayed on top of the car, but it wraps over where fenders should be and throws everything off

update! the elantra got some of the undercarriage rust taken care of this weekend. now it is sealed up good for the winter. put new plugs in due to cylinder msifire #2, found that spark plug was coated with oil. figure it needs spark plug gaskets too. car had a belt squeal with the steering, belt looked OK so i tightened it up a bit. come to find out it is commonly diagnosed with the alternator belt being the problem, since it drives the power steering pulley. yeah...

bought a new master cylinder after doing various tests and bleeding the brakes determining that it had a low pedal. ended up pulling the rear drums off for the hell of it to find the shoes almost completely gone. come to find out that THIS can have an adverse effect on the brake pedal... never knew that before. adjusted out the shoes really tight and voila some of the pedal is back. going to return the MC and put new shoes on it next week or so.

also something up front is leaking. not sure if it is a cam seal or front seal but the engine is coated from about halfway down on the pulleys side. there is noticeable oil on the bottom of the pan.

486905_10151257438236763_1663345569_n.jpg

559458_10151257552221763_623576154_n.jpg

560490_10151257552806763_235993150_n.jpg

552178_10151257553301763_305212088_n.jpg

156602_10151257552531763_1759094074_n.jpg

noooo we're working on it.

kristen picked up a new, better office job 25 hours a week at slightly better pay (but less hours) so she can finish up this semester. then shes going to only take 3 classes next semester and go back to 40 hours. she also still works every other weekend as a cna, so for right now i'm just saving up money instead of overpaying my auto loan and worst case scenario we are out of here around tax time.

I've never changed drum brake shoes outside of high school auto shop class- every other car I've owned that had drums has either been upgraded to discs or just flat out sold before I had to change the shoes. :D

the cost of switching to GT disc vs changing the shoes is just not worth it. while this car is very much like my mirage.. it isnt my mirage.

I've never changed drum brake shoes outside of high school auto shop class- every other car I've owned that had drums has either been upgraded to discs or just flat out sold before I had to change the shoes. :D

Same. I've never replaced drums on a car that anyone actually drove. (Unless you count a truck that had drums AND discs in the rear.)

Same. I've never replaced drums on a car that anyone actually drove. (Unless you count a truck that had drums AND discs in the rear.)

Well, that just sounds like a drum for a parking brake then.

Come over my house.

And I remember Ford Explorers had a drum-in-disc. That was only for the parking brake. Lots of troubles sliding the rear of your truck into water when launching a boat. General rule of thumb: Drum brakes "work" better. They have WAY more holding power. Disc brakes are smoother and apply power in a more linear fashion.

Also, the Subaru Brat requires no rear brakes at all. Come to think of it, I drove my EW CRX with no rear brake hardware for like 2 weeks, barely noticed.

Couldn't think as to why, but ok. I haven't touched the brakes on a WRX newer than 2005.

In my experience, what determines whether a rear drum/disk, or just disk system is used is based on what kind of caliper is employed.. The twist/push type calipers (as in most integras) dont require an inner drum for the handbrake. The plain push style (as in most trucks/suv's) require a separate in er drum for the handbrake.

Celerity has it right, with the drum style having more holding capacity, more surface area being gripped at one time.

now that i look it up, it seems i am completely wrong. what the fuck. that was back in 04 or 05 that i did those brakes. damnit.

i surely do not disagree about holding strength. but drums just suck and look ugly :)

Well thats just it, they hold, awesome.. But heat dissipation, sucks. Repeated hard stops? SOL... And they are ugly.. And belong on semis...

Back