3rd Gear Still Grinding

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So I put new tranny lube in my car... (Redline MTL) cuz I couldn't find syncromesh anywhere, and it didn't make the slightest difference in shifting. Total cost...
Lube- 17bucks
Hat That Lube Dumped On- 25 bucks
Scuffed Shoe From Rubbing Tire - 65 bucks

Product= Exactly Where I Started

So I guess I don't really need to downshift into first gear it's not like I'm on the circuit I can still drag launch fine, but the 3rd gear catch pisses me off like a motherfucker. I have to shift earlier than 5500 rpm or it's gonna catch leaving me no window for a vtec shift... Actually one time I got curiouse and overreved it (8500rpm) and it didn't catch but I don't feel safe doing that too many more times with stock valve setup. So I'm gonna just drive the bitch like a grampa that's still got a set of nuts until I can afford a new or rebuilt tranny. I've decided that I hate Honda tranny's. 2 bad luck ones in a row. Maybe that's what you get for buying used vehicles in which you don't know the history? I'll buy new next time.

I am going to agree with Honda Tranny statement.
I don't like the way if you beat the piss out of them they break.
Their motors are great, i shit on my single cam everyday of the week, but i was on tranny 3 and needed another.
motor still runs perfect in a friend's car tho :)

its not the whole tranny just the syncros.....and what do you expect when you beat the piss out of it.....

and my tranny was fucked in 3rd also the syncromesh worked.....i just gave it time....ohh and i stoped beating on it, things seem to last longer that way.... :shrug2: :shrug2:

my gf's gsr trans started grinding into 3rd at the end of last year, only when you're on it fairly hard and it doesn't do it when you double clutch or pause in between gears for like a split second longer than you normally would. Synchro fluid didn't make one bit of difference. My z6 trans has pretty much started grinding into every gear, and I don't beat on it all that much or that hard even when I do get on it occasionally. Get some good carbon synchros from either gearspeed or Honda = lots more fun times.

My 96 S40 tranny started grinding in 5th then 3rd and got stuck in neutral a lot. I changed the fluid in it and found out i had less than a quart in there. i put some honda mtf in there and about 3 weeks later the bitch stopped working while i was driving. when i took the tranny down a clutch spring fell out with it. i had a bad clutch, bad flywheel, and bad synchros. i'm still trying to put the bitch back together. <_<

Just replace the 3rd gear synchronizer set- it only cost me $160 when I did it.

This is my first time and i didn't know half of what i was looking at. i familiarized myself but not to the point where i can work or rebuild on the inner parts of the tranny. all i've got done is clutch and flywheel. the tranny is still in half :( Sorry if i'm thread jacking. :(

this reminds me of a funny story- I picked up a z6 trans awhile back to put custom gears in, got it all apart and found that whatever idiot was in there last installed the entire 5th synchro set backwards so that the synchro itself was against the case bearing instead of between the synchro hub and 5th gear :blink: AWESOME...
the good news was I got the trans for next to nothing cause it was "hard to shift", bad news was it needed like $400 worth of parts <_<

I think my car might have this same problem. Only happens when I rev high in 2nd and shift into third. If I wait a second or two then try again it's fine. Guess I'm gonna have to look into a syncro set myself.

Back