1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 point racing seat-belt harness illegal?

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by ssl2k, Jul 26, 2004.

1. ssl2k

ssl2k Senior Member

does anyone know if a 4 point racing belts are illegal ? and in wisconsin ?

i'm lookin at sites and tehy are saying that they are for off road use only and can possibly be illegal for street use?

doens't make sense...i'd trust a 4pt vs a 3pt any day of the week if properly secured.

nathan

2. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

There's the key words right there... most 4 and 5 point harnesses don't work unless you have at least a bar behind the seat to attach the belts to...

3. Bl6CRX

Bl6CRX Senior Member

Yeah well unless you have a roll cage, I wouldn't trust a 4 point any day of the week, sure it will hold you in place better in minor and even serious accidents, but the second you get into a roll over, its all over, the harness does not allow you to slide down as the roof caves on your head, like a lap belt does, it also may not be that they are illegal all together, the individual products are just without proper certification.

4. allbottledup

allbottledup Senior Member

find the phone number for your states dmv and call and ask them..theyll tell you

5. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

don't run them unless you have a bar to secure them to if you secure them down to the bottom of the seat you will crush your spin in a collision

6. ssl2k

ssl2k Senior Member

ii planned on running them attached to the struttower bar in the rear.

nathan

7. YouKnowWhoIBee

YouKnowWhoIBee my avatar is better.

It is amazing what you find when you use google. I think it took me 2 minutes. This will explain the instalation of a 5pt harness. Check this out. This is on a dsm but hope this helps clarify. And try callinbg your dmv for legality of harnesses.

8. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

a strut tower bar will never be strong enough it is held in with two b grade 14 mm studs

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted