1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 spd ef to 5 spd

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EF' started by olde phart, Jun 22, 2011.

1. olde phart

olde phart New Member

Gotta' opportunity to buy a pretty decent (for here in the Rust Belt...) '91 EF with a pretty much DOA motor. It's a 4 speed car, and I'm going to have the entire bone stock engine/trans out of my 'nice' DX EF when I pull the trigger on this B16 swap. Sooooo......I could have (another) beater for when my current one finally corrodes away (and it's close...). I assume I've got to use the 5 speed spindles and axles....but what else has to be changed? Shift linkage? Any of the mounts/x-members? I'm assuming that the FI and wiring should be the same.....both are '91's. Any info would be appreciated......if I gotta' re-invent the wheel to do it, I'll probably pass.

Thanks!

2. Korax

Korax New Member

I don't think there will be anything else. The major difference is the Civic/CR-X EX, DX, and Si have more splines on the hubs and the STD and HF have less. Since you are swaping out knuckles you should be good to go! I would think the tranny mounts are the same and all but the Si are DPFI so your good there.

3. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

shouldn't have to do anything to install the DX engine and transmission in the STD - you can keep the STD knuckles as long as you use the 4spd axles - the transmission ends of the axles are all the same

4. olde phart

olde phart New Member

Ok. Cool. Just one more question: Can anyone tell me just how pissed off my wife is gonna' be if I have three '91 Civic hatchbacks?

5. Korax

Korax New Member

Hmm, hard to say. I have three hatchbacks but no wife :ph34r:

6. dc4dude

dc4dude Member

if yours is anything like mine... VERY!!!!

7. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

Not too mad, at one point I had 3 EFs and 2 Cherokees, but narrowed it down to 1 Civic and the 2 Jeeps. You have to take her out to a fancy dinner then tell her you got another car, works every time. :ph34r:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted