87 CRX Si w/ 1st Gen B16a final drive Q

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

typej

Does anybody know of a company that can make custom final drive ratios for the JDM B16a Y1 transmission from an Integra XSi? I've called ATI, Gear Speed Inc., and Kaaz, and Quaife but none of them offer this service. I am wanting a final drive of 3.7 or lower 2.5 being the lowest. I've looked at the calculator on Fatboy Raceworks Transmission Gear Ratio Calculator - Honda/Acura & More and decided that a 3.7 would be good for me. I do not want to have a whole lot of acceleration because the motor being in such a light car will already offer that. I am swapping on larger wheels, going from 185 60r 14s to 215 40R 17s, to somewhat "lower" my final drive.

Oh, the final drive on my factory transmission is 4.4. The companies I listed above offer higher numbers for faster acceleration, but remember that you lose top speed. Can't have both, unless...;)

You'll have a gutless car. If you want a tall, high gear transmission, with a lower FD, get an ls transmission and be done with it. I have to drop into 4th doing 80mph to pass anything respectably. Revs are about 3800 in 5th doing 80mph.

Why are you trying to build a slower car? I think you've been playing Gran Turismo for too long.

MikeBergy said:
You'll have a gutless car. If you want a tall, high gear transmission, with a lower FD, get an ls transmission and be done with it. I have to drop into 4th doing 80mph to pass anything respectably. Revs are about 3800 in 5th doing 80mph.

Why are you trying to build a slower car? I think you've been playing Gran Turismo for too long.

yeah , or you can get a ls final drive or 5th gear and put in your b16 tranny

jlicrx said:
try these guys - i believe they are in Hong Kong - they have a 4.05 for the JDM B-series - maybe they could make a 3.7

MFactory Competition Products - Honda / Acura Performance Parts

Thanks for the info. But, like any other company, their 4.05 final drive will not fit in a cable b-series transmission. For some reason JDM trannys are not of their prefrence.

The purpose of doing this is:

1. To see if a company actually makes custom final drives for the Honda community

2. To be able to stay in gears longer for a higher speed before shifting. (I would not have to worry about acceleration because my car weighs less than 1800 lbs. with a motor that is a factory 160hp).

Yes, I'll admit, I do play GT4 alot, all of my cars have fd's of around 2.5 and are tuned for drag racing (2 player head to head on a straight) whether I'm using nitrous or not on a race.

What I do not understand is that the major racing teams have done almost everything:
motor work, chassis work, LSD and synchros, but are making the times they are making. But, instead of switching to a deeper final drive, all they have been doing is putting on larger tires and switching to 2 gear domestic transmissions.

Taco15 said:
yeah , or you can get a ls final drive or 5th gear and put in your b16 tranny
I want to see myself doing 80 in second gear...

2. To be able to stay in gears longer for a higher speed before shifting. (I would not have to worry about acceleration because my car weighs less than 1800 lbs. with a motor that is a factory 160hp).
160 hp and NO TORQUE
you need to step back into real world
a CRX with a stock B16 and a stock trans isn't all that fast to begin with...
you might be able to go 80 is second gear but its gonna take you 2 minutes to get there

reckedracing said:
160 hp and NO TORQUE
you need to step back into real world
a CRX with a stock B16 and a stock trans isn't all that fast to begin with...
you might be able to go 80 is second gear but its gonna take you 2 minutes to get there

correction 160bhp. and NO TORQUE. I see what you saying about staying in gear longer but, thats what makes a honda. We cant stay in longer due to lack or torque. Our cars dont get moving to it full potential until we get to the mid and top end.
Get some more torque on that b16 and watch the gears get alittle longer. not literally but they will feel different. Thats just my 2 cents. And im usually full of crap

Hondas have torque, it's mainly how you use it. I do plan on having a B20 bottom end down the line. That will add to my low torque numbers of 111.

Naw, but a friend of mine has an all motor b16 in a 92-95 hatch with CTR cams and skunk2 valve train and with a twin turbo stock supra at about three car lengths. I know about the b16s, but I'm not going to sit here and say that they do not have torque.

ok, how long was the race?
how old are you?
if you think getting longer gears in a B16 crx will make you compete with a supra you're out of your mind...

reckedracing said:
ok, how long was the race?
how old are you?
if you think getting longer gears in a B16 crx will make you compete with a supra you're out of your mind...

The race was 1/8 mile run on the street. The Supra runs a 11.2 in a 1000ft, it's a show car, extra weight. I only mentioned that, because I thought it was interesting to know that a Honda, b16 could hang. I'm 24, fresh out of college, and been reading on Hondas and Acuras for about 5 years, just recently been able to get my first Honda.

reckedracing said:

i just wanted to make clear that wasnt to the wheels. sorry for the confusion.
As far as a b16 crx being fast! i dont think so.well its quick non the less but in todays society it wont get you anywhere unless its built with extra goodies in the head. People have moved to bigger and better things, like the gsr's for example. all i'm saying is that there are fewer stock b16 motors in cars. there fore making competition even harder for you.
As far as torque goes. it has non. i', sorry but why do you think lsvtecs came about? because they need to get more torque. 111 pds of torque is just embarassing. Thats why they rev so high. If the supra lost by 3 lenghts, that was one slow ass supra. dont mean to be rude or nothing its just that you can only get so much power and torque from a b16 without having to spend MAD cash.

ohh and i dint mean hondas in general have no torgue. yes they have low torque number but the b16 is the worst. if you do a B20vtec then hell yeah you can make a monster.

Just so that you guys get a better understanding of my goals:
1987 Honda CRX Si
JDM (OBD 0) B16a
B20 Block
turbocharged (full-race.com stage 1 kit) 300 whp
Possibly with a 4.05 final drive ratio.

At the moment, I'm basically refreshing the internals of the motor (piston rings, main bearings, replacing, etc.) because I have just received it.

Oh, by the way, did you know that the K24 motor is the same price as my complete swap, minus the axles, but the Hasport motor mounts are about the same price.
I know that it doesn't have much for torque, but in an 1800 lb. chassis that's stripped, I believe I have a greater advantage than some of the stock b16 cars.

Back