89 EF Hatch B20B, LS trans, Teg axles, axle problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89hondahatch

Looking for some help from someone who has already tackled this combo: 1989 EF Hatch. Newly installed B20b (with Hasport mounts) attached to a 90-93 Integra LS "YS1" trans. I bolted on a "B" series mid-shaft that a friend had laying around (from a B-16, I think....) Purchased axles for a 90-93 Integra. They fit the trans perfectly, slid into my stock Civic hubs perfectly, and even fit the mid shaft perfectly.........When I tightened the spindle nut to the required 132 foot lbs. I reached up and tried to spin the tire/wheel and it was completly locked up...I had to back the nut almost all the way for the wheel to even spin. Where did I go wrong? Do I have to remove dust shields ? Is the mid-shaft the wrong one ? Do I need to change the hubs to those from a 90-93 Integra ? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Check the bolts on the front calipers to see if they are hitting the rotors.. My friend did the same thing with his b16 in his hatch. Almost ended up destroying his front rotors since the bolts were too long and were contacting the rotors.
We ended up cutting the dust shields thinking that was the problem and only one spun.. then looked at the rotors. Only took taking it off and on 3 times to figure out the problem :huh: ..

Hope that helps

You have to remove the dust shield, it's a small ring looking thing behind the rotor where the axle spindle slides in, once you take that out, then the axle spins freely.

Thanks to everyone for their input. It will probably be tommorow before I can get it back on the lift and check out everyone's suggestions. I will be back to post my findings. Thanks again !!

Follow-up on the above axle problem. I put it back on a lift and pryed out the inner hub dust rings and removed the rubber dust rings off of the axle ends. Put it back together and torqued the axle nut to 132 ft/lbs. and the wheels now spin freely. :worthy: Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Back