95 hatch with k20 or a older 240 with an sr20

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ryangt

ok im torn here, i want a new project i have two choices and two choices only please dont suggest something else.

ok its come down to doing a 95 civic hatch VX with a k20a type r motor in it which i know will be damn fast as streetable or an older 240sx and swapping in a sr20 turbo motor and building that up .
what do you guys think?
which would be faster, cheaper, more fun
lemme know fellas, im stuck on thsi at the moment.

Being a proud SR20DET owner myself, i would say get the SR20 in the older 240sx (S13?)

Here's why.

RWD > FWD no matter how you slice it.

Its gonna be cheeper than doing the K20A swap provided u buy an SR20 Redtop motor.

Boost > N/A. The SR motor is more easily upgradeable. Just get a bigger fuel pump and a boost controler and you are good to crank up that T25. BPU's will give you much more for your money as well. Downpipe, FMIC, Intake, Catback, Fuel pump, EBC, etc.

RWD fun factor > FWD fun factor. With the 240, you have a car that'll get sideways VERY easily . . just be carefull in the rain :wink:.

both are played out. do something new.

sr20's suck...

rb25 the s13. NOW we're talking, and you have my support :p

seriously. Id say do the k20 only cuz there are a few running around, sr20 240's can be found rather easily. but what are you looking to do with the car?

:werd:

I'd go with the K20 because it's a much better and higher tech engine than the SR20... but RWD is >>>>> FWD.

all im looking to have when im done is a really mean street car, i know the k20 into the hatch is abotu a 9 sec car if done right, but i see the 240 possibly being more fun on the road and not a squirrly as civics are. CAn anyone with the sr20 in thier s13 tell me how the car performs? hows its road manner, stability ? yadda yadda.
thanks for all the good info guys.

9 sec car? maybe with a fully built motor, turboed, and stripped out. def not a street car running 9's.

well all im saying is its pretty effing fast, i saw a guy who had just the stock k20a swap with exhaust and intake smoke and evo at qualcom, evo pulled 2 car lenghts off the line but lost by 4 or 5. Also seen the same two cars run on the highway and the hatch walked hard on the evo from 70 way past 100. Full interior on the hatch as well as the evo, evo had exhaust and intake i think. Either way, if your hatch takes an evo without motor work , umm yeah thumbs go up high on that.

eg hatch with stock k20 = 12 sec car.
which would beat an evo in the quarter.

id go with the hatch. much faster base your starting wiht, plus hatches are sexy. they are both played out so it really doesnt matter.

Quoted post[/post]]
well all im saying is its pretty effing fast, i saw a guy who had just the stock k20a swap with exhaust and intake smoke and evo at qualcom, evo pulled 2 car lenghts off the line but lost by 4 or 5. Also seen the same two cars run on the highway and the hatch walked hard on the evo from 70 way past 100. Full interior on the hatch as well as the evo, evo had exhaust and intake i think. Either way, if your hatch takes an evo without motor work , umm yeah thumbs go up high on that.
hey so you are in SD? my friends gonna have a K20 in his rex in probably a month or two, maybe you would be able to get an idea of hwo fast it is.. I agree about the hatch with the K. its a much newer motor and the aftermarket support for that motor is getting better all the time. besides almost all the 240s i've seen around here are pieces of cap, and after knowing a couple people with em, it seems liek they have a shit load of electrical problems.

yeah im heading towards the hatch, i cant bring myself to turn my back on honda. Wheres your budd in SD? im on naval base 32nd destroyer squadren 21 USS Decatur DDG-73. Id love to see what a crx with the k20 in it feels like, i just want something sleeker than the crx ive owned 4 of them and they dont do much for me anymore but id like to see what that ones got.

looks like you made up your mind. the eg with the k motor will be faster than the sr20. Intake, header, exhaust, cams, valvetrain, some more fuel, stiffer suspension, grippy tires, and youll be good to go into low 12's.

drag racing is gay. the more money you spend on it, the less and less seat time you get.

build a fun car that can turn, and get out there and enjoy life.

seriously, if you have 10k sitting around, build a spec miata, and go have some real wheel to wheel racing.

Quoted post[/post]]
CAn anyone with the sr20 in thier s13 tell me how the car performs? hows its road manner, stability ? yadda yadda.
thanks for all the good info guys.

My car is virtually stock (engine wise). Still running the T25 turbo.

Im a crappy driver and i still hit 13's with my car which runs the crappy stock wheels w/all season tires.

This car is a blast. Its so sick how it gets sideways if i am in a turn pushing any more than 5psi on the boost meter. I mean, its a safe car if u want it to be, but it could also really mess u up if you wanna skrew around in it.

Quoted post[/post]]

I'd go with the K20 because it's a much better and higher tech engine than the SR20... but RWD is >>>>> FWD.

Yeah but what engine responds better to mods? Which is cheeper to build? Which is less likely to get stolen in springfield MA?

Quoted post[/post]]
looks like you made up your mind. the eg with the k motor will be faster than the sr20. Intake, header, exhaust, cams, valvetrain, some more fuel, stiffer suspension, grippy tires, and youll be good to go into low 12's.

To get my car to 12's

GT2871R turbo, 550 cc injectors, and an SAFC . . . much cheeper.

yeah im heading towards the hatch, i cant bring myself to turn my back on honda. Wheres your budd in SD? im on naval base 32nd destroyer squadren 21 USS Decatur DDG-73. Id love to see what a crx with the k20 in it feels like, i just want something sleeker than the crx ive owned 4 of them and they dont do much for me anymore but id like to see what that ones got.
pretty soon he's gonna move out to el cajon. i talked to him today and he is gonna be buying the motor in a couple weeks. got a bomb ass hookup with i guess the owner of Hmotors through some friend, so the motor is gonna be basically at cost. then he's just gotta get the rest of the parts, figure out what to do for axles, and get it to the shop to have the swap done.

Quoted post[/post]]
drag racing is gay. the more money you spend on it, the less and less seat time you get.

build a fun car that can turn, and get out there and enjoy life.

seriously, if you have 10k sitting around, build a spec miata, and go have some real wheel to wheel racing.

yeah my buddies got a built miata and he beats bimmers, porshes, vettes, even a viper (once) in autox all day long. I went with him one time, and dayum, is that shit a RUSH.

there's always the 350/miata swap too. :cool:

fuck a 350 miata.

the spec miata class is SO good racing.

the cars are pretty slow... the 1.8's are restricted to match the 1.6 1st gen's power... the motors are pretty much stock... you aren't allowed much. and thats the point. the majority of the cost in building a SM is in the hardtop, cage, seat, and fire system.

but the action that you get- the wheel to wheel effect....

man, just go watch one.

here's E watching the SM class at limerock:

DSC02263.jpg

just so intense... you get nervous/butterflies just watching it.
i bet E was half mast in this pic. lol

you thought nascar drafted close?

DSC02251.jpg

DSC02394.jpg

DSC01344.jpg

so much fun.

fast forward 9 min in to this vid... this is footage i took last memorial day of the SM's going at it...

https://hondaswap.com/brian/2005/05/lim...-05-30-2005.wmv

the vid does no jsutice cuz i suck at filming... lol being there. damn.

drag racing can't give you that rush.
and it certainly won't make you a better driver either.

Back