97 lude rapping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

STAVROS

hey, ya im a noob

i bought a 97 lude base about two months ago, a couple nights ago on the drive home from work, the engine light came on (misfire in 4th cylinder DTC) and now the motor raps badly when idling or giving it gas. turns out i F-ed up and forgot to check the oil after a spirited drive on the weekend. a local reputable honda mechanic told me he thought it was a main bearing in the crank.

well ive been looking all over for a replacement engine. ive located an engine close to me with only 86000kms on it out of a 2001 for a reasonable price. $1200CAD with core, 1300CAD without. (i think ill keep my old engine for $100 its worth that as scrap metal)

the only thing im not sure about is, is if there are any issues using a 2001 engine in a 97. i know they are both obdII, and h22a4 but a guy thats trying to sell me a 98 engine/tranny says the 2001 will simply not just bolt in. i figured he just wanted to sell what he has ( i dont blame him)

ive read of some changes to main bearings being bigger in crank (98+), and something about the distributor not being adjustable, but they shouldnt affect the swap. is there anything else i would have to change? sensors? or any other modifications? do i need the 2001 ECU?

so, any advice would be very helpfull. i searched a few times for the answer im looking for but couldnt find it. im am hoping that this isnt even an issue and thats the reason i couldn't find it.

Stavros

As far as the differences i would not have a clue.
But you should be able to sell at least the head if it looks good for well over 100 if its an H22 I'm assuming Canadian.

If you are looking to get rid of the head, i think i might take it as long as the H22A4 head will work on the H22A OBD-I, i need it for my turbo build....let me know...

Back