accidental jump, car wont start!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i got a cel and decided i was gonna jump the wires. i reach under the drivers side and reach for the clip. i guess i grabbed the wrong one. it is green and has like 5 wires goin into it. i jumped them and saw a spark. so i decided to start my car and it wont start. it tries to turn over but wont start. is my battery dead?? what is that harness? hellppppp

If your battery was outta juice it wouldn't turn over, after a while nothing would happen. I hope you didn't fry your ECU

what do u mean after awhile nothing would happen?? could i reset my ecu?? and would this help. any idea what that clip i jumped was??

the wires are black, yellow/blue, orange, yellow, and i dont remember the last one. it is under the steering column and is hanging there. not sure if its suppose to or not

Originally posted by h22poweredgsr@Nov 1 2003, 09:43 PM
the wires are black, yellow/blue, orange, yellow, and i dont remember the last one. it is under the steering column and is hanging there. not sure if its suppose to or not

Have you checked all your fuses, to see if you blew any? That would be the FIRST thing to do.

Other than that, check your relays, amke sure they are woring. Check for fuel, and spark in the engine.

Hope you didn't fry your ECU, and no, you can't "reset" it.

yea i checked all my fuses. i found out that what i jumped was the abs harness going into the little module under the steering column. it was hanging loose i guess. its a green connector. i dont have a voltomter so i cant check for relays yet.

Originally posted by h22poweredgsr@Nov 1 2003, 04:49 PM
i got a cel and decided i was gonna jump the wires. i reach under the drivers side and reach for the clip. i guess i grabbed the wrong one. it is green and has like 5 wires goin into it. i jumped them and saw a spark. so i decided to start my car and it wont start. it tries to turn over but wont start. is my battery dead?? what is that harness? hellppppp

you were just trying to check your CEL? what are you getting now? (dont jump the same one to find out, try the two wire service plug next time). hope you didn't fry your ECU.

note for next time: always check before you go jumping wires.

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Nov 3 2003, 12:21 PM
your lucky you didnt blow your airbag.

sorry but i would have died laughing if the topic said "accidental jump, hit with airbag".

Back