Acura RSX in RIo Yellow Pearl?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok, seeing as how you skipped over the first part, you must not have gotten from it the sense that the term "ricer" has lost its original meaning. I should go further into the term and also point out a few things.

1.A Ricer is of course the person that performs these (un-necessary, retarted, and most the time resulting in the opposite of what they are trying to fake, ie: the drag created by an aluminum spoiler or body kit.) visual modifications. I'll leave motives alone for a second.

2.The mods he/she is performing are called or considered Rice(y).

As with most good things, asshats (in this case the Ricers) take them and ruin it for everyone else (in your case the Type-R kit.) Because they take an attribute of accepted practice and mix it with their own retardation, that once accepted practice begins to take on the stigma associated with the lameness of the producer.

Like with body kits for example; They were at one time widely accepted (not by all but by many) and found on many [and this is the important part] highly modified, fast cars. Now go post a thread about installing one on HS and see how long it takes to get pages of people calling you a retard, a ricer, a homo, whatever else. Why? Well for one because they are gay and if you desire one you might as well be saying you wanna be stabbed in the pooper and come out of the closet now. But also because a bunch of A holes saw them on these fast cars and decided to stick them on their stock grocery getting Honda Civic Dx. LAME! So it too became lame to have.
:violin:
Some were sad to see them go. Others rejoiced. The true enthusiasts moved on. But some just couldnt let them die as they should have there. And thats just one example. Exhaust, spoilers, fog lights, tachs, air fuel gauges... These all too suffered at the hand of the ricer. (Luckily rims arent too looked down upon yet. And who knows how long it is before canards get roped in.)

Then one day someone came up with a bright idea. The human nature of classifying those that are different from yourself and the connection that the favored car to kit up came from Japan, Japanese people eat rice, lets call them RICERS!!! The name stuck. Only problem now is its losing its meaning the same way those body kits did way back when.

How does this apply to you? Well those Ricer A holes decided that JDM was the next thing they'd ruin. JDM used to be sought after because of engines, suspension, trannys, what have you. Tuners knew JDM cars got the better drivetrains due to less restrictive laws and such. And some thought the styling looked cooler as well. Well Ricers caught wind of this, and as usual took it the wrong way and ran with it. Now JDM has become a joke. Go on eBay and you see people throwing it around to sell their crap at higher prices. Baiting the ricers to buy, because its mad JDM yo! You need this to be cool. The sheep they are they buy into it. Not realising that the mad JDM piece they picked up is identical to the USDM counterpart. Only difference was the extra $100 bucks they spent on it. Not true for every component (this relates mostly to non-drivetrain parts) but you get the idea . That is why the JDM kit and badges you want will get you called a ricer. Some A hole ruined it for you. Just an innocent new Honda guy getting raped by the retards before him. I'm relatively new to the Honda thing as well so I can somewhat relate and differentiate between the two motives. But being that I come from the crowd that made fun of the Ricers so much I know what not to do. Also, I can thank my good taste for that.

But still, if you like the kit, go with it. It does look good IMO. But that doesnt change the fact that some will call you a ricer. The real questions are these, "Do you care what others think? Will you do it anyway because you like it and thats whats important to you? Or will you give in to the ideals of others and sacrifice what you truly want out of your car and be just as bad as the ricer?" The decision is yours. Only time will tell.

You have been enlightened.

Last edited:
The only reason as to why I skipped the first part of your post was because it did not want to waste space, to be honest, but that is why I tried to capture what I interpreted it as. What you were saying is that a ricer is someone who's aesthetic enhancement yield a misrepresentation of the true nature of the car. In other words, their modification are entirely superficial. Correct me if I'm wrong. But, my question to you was, what differentiates a ricer from those who initially sought the same thing. It would seem as if you label the originators as enthusiast, and the followers as ricers, but still fail to establish a compelling difference between the two. I mean everyone follows trends, even trends are debased on preexisting qualities. You state that when you say that one initiated the JDM thing, and another ruined it through overexposure. There are plenty of people on this board that do things that are more superficial than performance, but if it's done to a certain aesthetic standard, it's neat, if it is not done to some conforming standard its ricer. That's what I don't get. I'm not defending ricers, it's just the principle, how, or no better yet, why are people so hypocritical? To try to say that performance has to match aesthetics is foolish, people intentionally make these enhancements if not for anything else, then for good (or bad) design. Lets not be hypocrites. You' d probably have an easier time distinguishing the lifestyle of a ricer, as lifestyles are more a reflection on the type of person's character, not their taste. I'd rather be labeled a ricer because of my reckless actions, like, when the phrase originated due to the late 90's street-racing scene, and peoples craze over the lifestyle through cinema depictions like Fast and Furious, which adversely affected the import tuner scene.

Truth be told, the only reason why I'm so concerned with other peoples opinion is because I don't know if I'm going to keep this car, but I'd still like something unique, thats why I'm so curious, I have to find a common ground. I've driven a RSX-S, but would like to experience what it would be like own a Type-R-esque car with more torque output, and higher horsepower, as I thought the type s was lacking in these areas, and the type r couldn't be that far off (stiffer suspension and 20hp and a little more torque isn't enough to impress). Hence the K20/24, and the them I'm opting for. I remember a review of the DC5 type R that stated that it was a bit underpowered for its suspension tuning, and I'd like to get something thats as close as possible- minus the chassis reinforcements, I don't know enough about chassis tuning to say that I'll get it right, with all the Type R's reinforcements. I could imagine it being expensive.

Again you're missing the point. Did you not see that I can differentiate between the two. The differentiation between the two is a tuner makes the modification out of necessity. A ricer makes a modification because he saw it on said tuners car and it goes fast, so it'll make mine go fast too. Think about air fuel ratio gauges. How many people who have them really need them. Or better yet, how many of those people know how to use them. Hood pins are another great example.

And again. It wasnt over exposure of a good thing, it was taking that once good thing and changing it to where it in little to no way functiones as originally designed. And even if it did function properly, why the fuck did the person need it in the first place. The good thing is still good if done correctly, but it became rice by association as far as the outside world was concerned.

Now then. If you dont understand this next part, I'll just write you off as a lost cause.
Follow me for a second...
So you understand, when I say highly modified cars I dont just mean high horsepower street cars. I'm mostly refering to race cars. Do you think Kunimitsu Takahashi put this body kit on his car because it looked cool?
20081129-nismo-gtr-05.jpg

No. As I'm sure you know in racing a few things more than just horsepower are key. Downforce, cooling (both of the engine and brakes,) aerodynamics. Body kits were created that improved these areas.
But then the ricer got a hold of them... And a market for them was created. And this is what they evolved into.
body-kit-4-d-jpg.jpg

Those body kits are lame no matter how you cut it. And believe me, people cut them up like crazy to infuse more rice. None of those over the top rediculous Rice (theres that word again, hopefully you are now grasping a better idea of it.) Again, body kits are just one example.

I am of the opinion that if you are gonna put a type R,....fin on it you could just put a Porche badge on it too,....people would never know,.....lol,....don't be a poser,....I liked the idea of no badges,....you don't need no stinking Badges,....paint it Black,....Low profile....mild look fin,...keep the man off your ass,......just my take,....and give.

Again you're missing the point. Did you not see that I can differentiate between the two. The differentiation between the two is a tuner makes the modification out of necessity. A ricer makes a modification because he saw it on said tuners car and it goes fast, so it'll make mine go fast too. Think about air fuel ratio gauges. How many people who have them really need them. Or better yet, how many of those people know how to use them. Hood pins are another great example.

And again. It wasnt over exposure of a good thing, it was taking that once good thing and changing it to where it in little to no way functiones as originally designed. And even if it did function properly, why the fuck did the person need it in the first place. The good thing is still good if done correctly, but it became rice by association as far as the outside world was concerned.

Now then. If you dont understand this next part, I'll just write you off as a lost cause.
So you understand, when I say highly modified cars I dont just mean high horsepower street cars. I'm mostly refering to race cars. Do you think Kunimitsu Takahashi put this body kit on his car because it looked cool?

No. As I'm sure you know in racing a few things more than just horsepower are key. Downforce, cooling (both of the engine and brakes,) aerodynamics. Body kits were created that improved these areas.
But then the ricer got a hold of them... And a market for them was created. And this is what they evolved into.
body-kit-4-d-jpg.jpg

Those body kits are lame no matter how you cut it. And believe me, people cut them up like crazy to infuse more rice. None of those over the top rediculous Rice (theres that word again, hopefully you are now grasping a better idea of it.) Again, body kits are just one example.
Repped. And that poor 300....

And for the record, I wasn't calling you a ricer. I said the badges seemed rice. A ricer is a poser. Pretending to be something you're not.

Example: I knew this kid back in high school with a brand new Mustang. Because of lack of funds, parents, insurance, whatever, it was a V6. That's fine. I've driven V6 Mustangs. They can get out of their own way. Fast forward 2 years. Car has a full Cobra body kit, including wheels, Flowmasters, the whole 9. I hadn't seen him in awhile and asked what was new with the car. He claimed it had a built Cobra motor in it. Just from hearing it I knew it was still a V6 just with an exhaust now, but I played along. I said let me see what the motor looks like. TO THIS DAY I have never seen this Mustang with it's hood open. The kid is pretending to be something he is not. Don't be that kid.

who gives a fuck?!? really??

ricer this, ricer that.... the ricer term was originally for anyone who modified a Japanese import at all..

so IMO.. we're all rice.. :hide:

who gives a fuck?!? really??

ricer this, ricer that.... the ricer term was originally for anyone who modified a Japanese import at all..

so IMO.. we're all rice.. :hide:
I was alluding to that without actually saying it, I was trying to see if anyone picked up on that...

body-kit-4-d-jpg.jpg

The GTR looks stock nice roll cage though, the 300 zx does look ridiculous, but what your attempting to say, again is that aesthetics constitutes rice. So if someone does a clean lip kit, or a ridiculous body kit, they'd be all in the same, given your perspective, as in both instances their functional purpose (aerodynamics) isn't their intended effect (looks). So, if someone puts Recaros in their integra, they'd be rice, because the stock seats are good enough? Or, a type r front end conversion on a DC2 is rice because it yields no functional purpose other than cosmetic preference? Or, getting authentic JDM pieces for your car is rice? That couldn't be what your saying. Functional purpose my ass, most people don't need what they do to their cars, and yet they aren't considered rice, but someone does something that is god awful, but philosophically the same as doing something that is good looking, one is rice the others an enthusiast. Is this rice? It's a USDM type R, but, it has the JDM front end, no functional purpose... But it looks good..
l_9b931cf077354987b5c81dd4328701ae.jpg

Yes I agree that there are certain improvements that have a functional purpose, but lip kits on an Integra have no functional purpose, is it rice? Or is it just someone with their own tastes? "Nice car". (certain) Rims have no functional purpose, those Rota JSP-L's are heavier than stock (if you own an Integra, you've looked at least once) but they look good, adverse functional purpose, but thats not rice. I'm just saying, its extremely hard to establish a persons motive for doing what they do, and even if you could, if you do anything to alter your cars look, how are you any different? See what I'm trying to say? It's hypocritical to assert that one is rice, and the other isn't. I do get your point, but I don't see how it is applicable without first asserting that aesthetic tastes in general is rice. Your GSXR would be rice, it doesn't need the decals (just kidding).

the bottom line is that, rice is a opinion/personality. for every hundred ppl that says its rice there will be a hundred to say its not.

Seriously? You'll never get it. To answer your last question see my last post. I already answered it and I don't feel like a three-peat. Might as well lock this one down.

Meh, whatever, color considerations anyone? And yes, I got your point, it makes sense when viewed subjectively, but fails to make sense objectively which is why I still respond with what I said, but non the less I get your point. Will the STI BBS rims fit on the RSX? They have the same bolt pattern, and no I'm not keeping the center caps, just like the design, almost like the DC2 type R rims. Emphasis on almost. But with the wider track, they might be able to compensate for the increase in power, and might not look that bad. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Yea, it is. But stick a huge fart can and an aluminum spoiler on it and it wont matter how nice the JDM front end is. You see, do you see?

Back