All Wheel Drive Crx!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

uh yeah... i have thought about this and asked some questions. unless you really are set on doing this it is probably not worth the time, effort, money. talked to some tuners that did a b16 swap to an ef awd and he commented that the only advantage he saw was being able to tackle difficult driveways. otherwise (not that i know shit) the power distribution with the all honda setup is not practical for someone who wants a honda that can kick the shit out of a scubie. dreaming is nice though... :)

uh yeah... i have thought about this and asked some questions. unless you really are set on doing this it is probably not worth the time, effort, money. talked to some tuners that did a b16 swap to an ef awd and he commented that the only advantage he saw was being able to tackle difficult driveways. otherwise (not that i know shit) the power distribution with the all honda setup is not practical for someone who wants a honda that can kick the shit out of a scubie. dreaming is nice though... :)

There's really nothing wrong with the power distruibution in the wagon, its actually a better setup than the CRV. With the CRV gear I'm running with now I can hang with EVOs and WRXs in corners on the pavement, but as soon as it opens up and they start boosting they're gone. I placed 17th overall out of 60 entrants at a rallycross event, half of which were scubies.

Results are here -> http://www.formularallyx.com/cscc1-2k7-final.pdf
5th line from the bottom, No. 449. I'd also like to note that I was running on half worn Hankook RS2 Z212s while most everyone else had all seasons or snow tires. I think there were two or three other guys out on sticky street tires.

With the Wagon gear I'm getting ready to swap in, I'll have a better power distribution than I do now and a rear LSD. Handling wise that'll put me on more of an even footing with the STi and EVO crowd. Year or two down the road I'll install a turbo and it should be a fair fight. ;)

I might go so far as to say 4wd improved handling as much as installing a full coil-over system or anti-roll bar. It made a big difference in how the car felt through corners.

But yes, you have to -really- want awd to do this. Very much not a bolt-on affair.

Last edited:
I would do it if I was doing some serious races. but my setup now is decent enough to enjoy the handling while being still a daily driver.

That's awesome man. start a thread with pics of your AWD set up. would love to get the full story on what you did and pulled it off :)

that video makes me think the 2k is worth it. man if that guy is for real pushing 24 psi, on the z6 and he gets traction like that. imagine the possibilities....

Wow! I can't believe you swapped to AWD. How'd you get 17th, wouldn't the del sol even with AWD be pretty absurdly light compared to the subies? Was this a very long/sweeping/high speed autocross?

I've only been able to attend to one and my AWD vehicle is out of commission for now and granted is was a fairly tight/technical rally cross, but only one subie beat my '84 Audi 4000 Quattro. A whopping 100HP out of 2.2L :p, but it has two lockable diffs and I had 3 wheels guaranteed moving and it weighed 2500lbs!!

At least in the smaller/technical courses you should own those overweight, piggy subies. That's my plan as soon as I get the money to revive the Audi and swap a turboed setup into it :).

Oh and as for the first post about a Civic with a subie drivetrain, come on at least TRY and make a conceivable lie. Subarus use boxer engines and have a longitudal AWD setup (just like my Audi). There's NO WAY you could mount the honda engine longitudinally into the subie trans and fit it in the civic. An EVO setup is at least transverse mounted and I have heard of it done in the EG before, I can probably find a link if I dig hard (soo lazy though :p).

there has been 4g63t's in civics before. i have pictures as well to prove it. im not sure on teh AWD setup though.

there has been 4g63t's in civics before. i have pictures as well to prove it. im not sure on teh AWD setup though.

yeah hey man... i have been meaning to ask you for a while, and trust me i am not being judgmental although the mirage is not my _style_....--- but do you own a honda or do you just enjoy giving advice and reading honda stuff? i mean that's cool man, to each his own. and i enjoyed reading you arguing (or debating) with the one guy about that dodge colt or whatever the dodge equivalent is. you were right by the way, at least from my perspective. but anyway the 4g63t sounds interesting although not enough for me to care too much. i am more of a nat/ass kind of guy and i enjoy analog feel, throttle response and torque. i am blown away by the amount of power the d16z6 achieved in the previous response however. but yeah that's about it. it's time for bed and the wo-man is almost asleep. gotta pay attention to her now.

all the best honda people and people lacking hondas but interested in hondas. it's all the same to me, and i am just happy that some people make it out of their houses and work on cars. we need more of us around these parts. nighty night. :)

I know I've seen a 92-95 hatch with a complete 4G63 engine swap and AWD conversion. I'll have to see if I can find that again...

yeah hey man... i have been meaning to ask you for a while, and trust me i am not being judgmental although the mirage is not my _style_....--- but do you own a honda or do you just enjoy giving advice and reading honda stuff? i mean that's cool man, to each his own. and i enjoyed reading you arguing (or debating) with the one guy about that dodge colt or whatever the dodge equivalent is. you were right by the way, at least from my perspective. but anyway the 4g63t sounds interesting although not enough for me to care too much. i am more of a nat/ass kind of guy and i enjoy analog feel, throttle response and torque. i am blown away by the amount of power the d16z6 achieved in the previous response however. but yeah that's about it. it's time for bed and the wo-man is almost asleep. gotta pay attention to her now.

all the best honda people and people lacking hondas but interested in hondas. it's all the same to me, and i am just happy that some people make it out of their houses and work on cars. we need more of us around these parts. nighty night. :)

Turbomirage has owned more hondas than mirages. There have been times when I haven't had a Honda either, and yet I've been here daily to get caught up issues technical and fun.

Back