Alternate OS's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
if you're serious about leaving Windows.
Well I think Suse 9.1 Pro is the way to go. I've been using Suse 9.1 on an old machine of mine and I like it
I just have a few things to get aquinted with and I might install it on my main machine, no dual boot crap either.

I'm using an AMD400, 32Mb ATI video card 640Mb Ram, 60Gb of hard disk space
it's a little sluggish but I think that's due to a lack of proccessor speed

on my main system a dual AMD 1.5Ghz, 128MB nVidia Geforce4, 1.5GB DDR , 300 GB of disc space , DVD writer etc
I think it'll work just fine.

Slackware. No questions asked. I left Windows a long time ago, and that's where I've been. I used Slack since the 2.0 days and I have loved it ever since.

Well I like that Suse comes with a package to run like a netware server and had netware connection utilities as well. Since I run a novell server at work.
they are nice packages for me to have.

I just need to figure out wine so I can run autocad in linux.
I also need to remember how to set up the samba server.

Me, I have no idea what Wine is.
Yup, gotta remember Samba. The last time I played with Samba was... 4 years ago I think.

Wine is a windows emulator
somthing along those lines, lets you run windows applications on linux pc's

WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator

It's stupid, but that's what it stands for. It creates a windows like environment on Linux/Unix computers to run Windows apps.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 9 2004, 12:20 AM
Slack = :thumbsup:

SuSE = :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[post=400391]Quoted post[/post]​

I hear you guys allways talkin about leavin window's and how microsoft sux so bad . . . . but for a regular computer user like me what does it matter?

Originally posted by Cashizslick@Oct 9 2004, 01:08 AM
I hear you guys allways talkin about leavin window's and how microsoft sux so bad . . . . but for a regular computer user like me what does it matter?
[post=400404]Quoted post[/post]​

First off, Linux is free. Also you get a whole slew of tools and apps, compilers, network tools, graphics tools, office apps, you name it. It's customizable in ways that Windows users only dream of. There are a few dozen window managers for you to choose from, each are totally customizable. You can tune and tweak your system to run much more efficiently and faster. Hell, you can even use your video card's GPU for extra processing power when not crunching 3D. It's a true multi-user operating system... I can log on and control my system from anywhere on the planet, and exporting your X displays makes PC Anywhere look like a child's toy in comparison (mostly because it is). I can export the display of say... the Blender to a system in another state and you couldn't tell it wasn't running off the box I was on.

Neat thing to note since there is some talk about Samba... did ya know that using Samba to share drives and directories using Windows file sharing actually runs faster and more efficiently than using Windows?

Also, Linux will run on almost any piece of hardware. x86, MIPS, PowerPC, Playstation, Dreamcast, Gamecube, routers, PDAs, Crays, Sparc, and even a Gameboy.

Did I mention that everything that I mentioned is absolutely free?

Why in the world would you use Windows?

Originally posted by Sabz5150+Oct 9 2004, 02:38 AM-->
Cashizslick
@Oct 9 2004, 01:08 AM

First off, Linux is free. Also you get a whole slew of tools and apps, compilers, network tools, graphics tools, office apps, you name it. It's customizable in ways that Windows users only dream of. There are a few dozen window managers for you to choose from, each are totally customizable. You can tune and tweak your system to run much more efficiently and faster. Hell, you can even use your video card's GPU for extra processing power when not crunching 3D. It's a true multi-user operating system... I can log on and control my system from anywhere on the planet, and exporting your X displays makes PC Anywhere look like a child's toy in comparison (mostly because it is). I can export the display of say... the Blender to a system in another state and you couldn't tell it wasn't running off the box I was on.

Neat thing to note since there is some talk about Samba... did ya know that using Samba to share drives and directories using Windows file sharing actually runs faster and more efficiently than using Windows?

Also, Linux will run on almost any piece of hardware. x86, MIPS, PowerPC, Playstation, Dreamcast, Gamecube, routers, PDAs, Crays, Sparc, and even a Gameboy.

[post=400428]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats real interesting, but im not really a computer guru or anything.

I like the idea of being able to customize linux to do what you want, but Windows is pretty easy to use for somebody like myself.

To be honest, i DO want more control over my PC, i just would be afraid switching to Linux would fuck everything up or something dumb since im not a code writing computer genious.

. . . could you post a screenshot of what Linux's interface looks like? i.e. what you see when your opening programs and such.

thanks

Originally posted by Cashizslick+Oct 9 2004, 07:34 AM-->
Originally posted by Sabz5150@Oct 9 2004, 02:38 AM
Cashizslick
@Oct 9 2004, 01:08 AM

[post=400428]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats real interesting, but im not really a computer guru or anything.

I like the idea of being able to customize linux to do what you want, but Windows is pretty easy to use for somebody like myself.

To be honest, i DO want more control over my PC, i just would be afraid switching to Linux would fuck everything up or something dumb since im not a code writing computer genious.

. . . could you post a screenshot of what Linux's interface looks like? i.e. what you see when your opening programs and such.

thanks
[post=400467]Quoted post[/post]​

Sure!

screenshot2.jpg

newscreen.jpg

that looks really good. Can you use photoshop and all otehr progs cause i just got my dads old labtop and id be interested in trying linux

Originally posted by FFCiv@Oct 9 2004, 11:10 AM
that looks really good. Can you use photoshop and all otehr progs cause i just got my dads old labtop and id be interested in trying linux
[post=400491]Quoted post[/post]​

For real - thats pretty cool lookin.

Ok Sabz, i did a lil reading and i guess there are 1919399696948 variations of Linux out there - mandrake, redhat, ect.

Since i have already mentinoned im not good with code and such, im guessing Slackware would be a bad idea - maybe Mandrake or one of the other easy to use versions would work well for me?

- i AM serious about switching from windows, but the code and such scares me + i feel that if i DID make the switch, i would end up looksing mad files and such.

>> thanks much

Originally posted by Cashizslick+Oct 9 2004, 01:08 AM-->
@Oct 9 2004, 12:20 AM
Slack = :thumbsup:

SuSE = :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[post=400391]Quoted post[/post]​

Honestly, I just stick to Windows. It's still the most standard system out there in terms of things you want to run on it- almost all "normal" consumer applications and games out there are written to run primary on a M$ platform. Linux distributions have their own share of major advantages and disadvantages because it's mostly open source, but if you're going to run an emulator to run the applications you want, I don't think it's worth it. Just learn as much as you can about how to tweak the Windows OS and you can be pretty safe. I've never had any security issues with mine, but then again- I'm extremely paranoid about security, and I'm approaching OS maintenance as a seasoned system administrator.

sabz what kind of linux is taht and how would i go about getting rid of windows are replacing it with linux

I'd love to try out Linux, but it's hard enough finding people here that know Windows, an unfamiliar OS with a problem would mean no computer.

Dual boot it. You could build another machine dedicated to Linux too- that would help you learn it.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 9 2004, 11:40 PM
Dual boot it. You could build another machine dedicated to Linux too- that would help you learn it.
[post=400662]Quoted post[/post]​

Calesta - anywhere i can get G00D instructions on Dual B00ting Linuk and Windows XP?

Back