Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

photbucket failure. use our attachment system.

and for the record, this thread is now the new record holder for most viewed thread on HS.

Sorry. The pics are back up.
The reason that happened is b/c I haven't logged into my old (bakerboy4679) account in forever! so it just temporarily suspended it until I logged in again. Now it's all good. On the newer posts it's on my new account (apmcrx) and it's almost full! 99% to be exact. lol

Anyway, I did some cleaning up of my CRX lately (and have been driving it daily for the last few weeks) including redoing some wiring through the passenger fender (and adding new extra wires for future needs) and repainting the valve cover and intake to match. heres a few pics for now. Gotta get some more of the full car since it's put back together!

I think I'll be doing a lot more body work on the CRX, and get it repainted (by myself of course) in the near future. So I'll show you guys all the steps I take. I know it'll help someone who's interested in doing body work!

Valve Cover:
Notice on the valve cover I shaved a couple of the ground tabs and the casting lines after it was stripped
IMAG0154.jpg

Self Etching Primer (better bond to bare metal. use it!) 2 solid coats
IMAG0155.jpg

Wrinkle black. This stuff can be tricky. I've heard and seen (Mac_24_seven) bauch this up somehow, but mine worked out fine. You just have to lay it on very thick. it's not like normal paint where you do 5 light layers. GLOB this stuff on and it'll settle into a nice wrinkle finish:
IMAG0156.jpg

Like so:
IMAG0157.jpg

Then 1 day later(should have baked it in the oven. The black wasn't cured all the way through yet, but hard/dry to the touch. I'll know next time!) came the red. I decided to use Brake Caliper paint on this, just for the heck of it. turned out GREAT!
Tack layer:
IMAG0158.jpg

3 coats:
IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

Razored the letters then sanded them with some 220-320.
IMAG01601.jpg

IMAG01602.jpg

Also freshened up the headlights while the front end was apart. (forgot why I pulled the front end...)
IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

Also took some Acetone and cleaned up the jams where the seam sealer has collected the dirt (this stuff is like glue!?)
Before:
IMAG0162.jpg

After:
IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

I'll get it washed today and get some more pics for you guys!
I'll get back into this thread, but I'll warn you- I'll be very busy with vacations and stuff, and I'm saving my money. But I'll have some goodies posted up soon :) (Have a couple turbos laying around that I'll soon put to good use. ;) )

Till then!
-Andrew

good job man. i wish i had the time to work on my car like the old days :(

good luck and hope to see that car on the skreets someday.!

Why paint over the wrinkle black? Why not use wrinkle red?

EVERYWHERE in Tallahassee was sold out and could not even order them! Crazy. So I got inventive :)

good job man. i wish i had the time to work on my car like the old days :(
good luck and hope to see that car on the skreets someday.!

I know man! I miss hanging out with you. [/no homo]
What are you driving now? Still have the GSR EG Bubble?

Heres the pics, guys! I need paint, bad. This is after a wash/wax, clay-bar, and ICE wipe on polisher/protector (I like this stuff!)
Going for the RC Car look :)
DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0029.jpg

Coulple e-bay shots from before the wash:
IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

And a couple e-bay shots after the wash.
DSCN0023.jpg

DSCN0024.jpg

And a couple random points of the bay that are new :)
DSCN0025.jpg

DSCN0026.jpg

DSCN0027.jpg

-Andrew

very nice....

i sold that gsr hatch along time ago. I just got an rsx type s last weekend so i'm rocking that for next couple years.:lol:

Haha! I think all the cold weather is going to your head, Mr. Klyph.
I meant E(ngine)-Bay :D

And cool beans Abel! We should line up your RSX and my Civic! I'm 4-door so I should be slower :ph34r: :D

Nice work Andrew, glad to see that this thread is still around! It was definitely an inspiration for me to start my build.

When did you get K-Sports on there? I have a set on my EJ, and I love them. and you have fat fives too! Jeez.

good eye! yeah my hood is rubbing a little, and I wasn't as careful as I should have been while I cut/sanded the letters... so a little imperfection here and there.

And yeah man I traded my old suspension setup plus some skrilla for th Ksports. I love em too! However i am not complimenting them with new bushings and sway and strut bars yet. that will make a big difference I think.

Anyway, Im happy to see the old folks around here still. This has definitely proved to be my favorite Honda forum! not a lot of drama and GREAT reference stuffs!

looks like ur motor sits lower on the driver side.. or higher on the passenger side.. wrong/bad mounts?

Back