Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Or LS-Turbo, but then again he wants a daily driver, so probably neither.

Exactly. From my standpoint, which may or may not be the same as Andrews.. I would not want to spend ~7k on a daily driver. I would be looking for something in the 4-5k range that is reliable and gets decent gas mileage, and is comfortable. To me, thats an LS. But then again, Andrew could be seeking something far different. Just my .02 worth.

why not an oem eg auto with ac great mpg and cheap.

shit you have a beater..... does the 4dr civic have ac?

just put you sohc in it and the ac from the rex, macco white paint job and tint and your set...

So it's running yet? I want to heard VTEC flow out that 4-1 header.;)

Well, heres the only 2 things holding me back:

1. Fuel leak at the stock fitting out of the firewall. I cut that fitting to accept my -6AN conversion, so now I've got to buy (2) AN fittings to make it work. They are about $20 total, plus shipping, around $40 shipped 2 day air-mail from Summit. I'll shop around, but I think I'll just go ahead and buy them, even though I don't want to! (theres just NO place in town locally that sells Metric AN fitting adapters.)

2. 2 nights ago I decided even though theres a fuel leak, I'll try and start it; So I wrapped the fittings up with a towel to prevent major fuel drippage, and hit the ignition... nothing happened. no clicks, no nasty noises, no nothing. I figured maybe it was just a loose wire at the starter- checked 'em- there fine. so now I've got to troubleshoot this issue..

I should be going in the next few days.
-Andrew

because the LS makes a great daily driver and he has the rex for the go fast car..

I'd punch Andrew in the face if he bought an LS teggy. Spend the extra $1,000 and get a GSR and have a much better platform to build on.

And have you checked your fuses Andrew?
Are you 10000% sure the battery is good?
Do you have the starter in a bind?
Perhaps you should pull it out and test to see if it's working.? Actually, after checking the fuses, I think you need to do that next.

You've gotta get it running so you can come down and help w/my head install. Or at least be part of the pit crew :p

I'd punch Andrew in the face if he bought an LS teggy. Spend the extra $1,000 and get a GSR and have a much better platform to build on.

Isn't this second car supposed to be a daily driver type vehicle though? What does it really matter how "buildable" the car is? I mean he's now got a B16-equipped CRX to play with, it would be dumb to buy another car to use as a daily and then start ripping that one apart and building it up to...kinda defeats the purpose of having a daily so you don't have to be driving your project car all the time, doesn't it?

Oh, and by the way, the LS isn't completely worthless...a nicely-tuned turbo LS will spank a GSR any day! :p

Isn't this second car supposed to be a daily driver type vehicle though? What does it really matter how "buildable" the car is? I mean he's now got a B16-equipped CRX to play with, it would be dumb to buy another car to use as a daily and then start ripping that one apart and building it up to...kinda defeats the purpose of having a daily so you don't have to be driving your project car all the time, doesn't it?

Oh, and by the way, the LS isn't completely worthless...a nicely-tuned turbo LS will spank a GSR any day! :p

werd to motha fuckin big bird..

you gotta remember.. Mac24 has a fetish with vtec, so you know why he says what he says.. mAd \/tAk FTW!???

haha....

we'll see guys.... we'll see.

I'll check over all my fuses and such when I get home from work.

I'm happy to be off of page 38... now I don't have to wait on those pics to load every time haha.....

56k FTL.
I tried to reply again last night, but my friends shotty internet wasn't having any of that. Took 10 minutes to load 3 pics. All I was trying to do was get to the last page lol.
Hope your not stuck in the 56k boat, with all the uploading pics and what not.

No. just because you have one fast toy, doesn't mean that you have to drive a dog around any other time.

And if it takes a turbo LS to beat a stock GSR, well thats just sad. Which I know w/bolt ons and tuning an LS can beat a GSR, but your not comparing apples to apples here either

Quite frankly, I knwo how it feels to have a fast toy that you drove ervry day ( I had a 5.0 mustang) and go to something slow (96 Accord).

It sucks

Regardless, a moot point and it's stupid to discuss/argue, because it's up to Andrew and he hasn't decided on what he wants ;).

No. just because you have one fast toy, doesn't mean that you have to drive a dog around any other time.

And if it takes a turbo LS to beat a stock GSR, well thats just sad. Which I know w/bolt ons and tuning an LS can beat a GSR, but your not comparing apples to apples here either

Quite frankly, I knwo how it feels to have a fast toy that you drove ervry day ( I had a 5.0 mustang) and go to something slow (96 Accord).

It sucks

Regardless, a moot point and it's stupid to discuss/argue, because it's up to Andrew and he hasn't decided on what he wants ;).

You make some good points. If he wants his DD to be fun to drive as well, then a GSR sedan would probably be a good choice. If he just wants a reliable car to get himself around in and haul people, than an LS or Civic sedan would probably be a better choice.

And true I guess about the turbo thing, but then again you suggested "just pay $1,000 more and get a GSR instead." Well, say you buy a GSR for $7,000 and then spend another grand on bolt-ons. Alternatively, you could spend like 4 or 5k on an LS, and then a couple grand for a turbo setup, and come out with a faster car for less money. Plus with an LS you won't have to rev the piss out of it to get the power, but then again, I do realize you personally prefer the mad tyte JDM VTAK!!!!!!111 :D

But yeah, in the end you're right, no point in arguing about it and whoring up Andrew's build thread. The choice is really up to him.

I think I'd get a GSR over an LS. I have to finance something anyway, so why not spend a little extra money and get better engine performance, better handling, and peace of mind that I can always hang with peeps on the street if I need to.

I think the term "Daily Driver" has gotten abused lately online...
It's a Honda. I'll never be satisfied with what I get, so I might as well start off with something worthwhile that will entertain me longer.

lol I like how your thinkin of a GSR for a dd, and I'm sittin with all my shit thinkin "i wish i could find a nice little 90 lx as a dd.."

Back