Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah but do you think they would have a U bend like what I need??

Andrew, I think that since you and I are both gonna be getting widebands (Doin research on a good one to get) I think we should go in together and get the data logging stuff so we can hook it to a laptop and get all the nifty instant readings max gets with Chrome.

Hell, we can even learn to tune a lil bit? We've both talked about it before. "Lets do this."

Andrew, I think that since you and I are both gonna be getting widebands (Doin research on a good one to get) I think we should go in together and get the data logging stuff so we can hook it to a laptop and get all the nifty instant readings max gets with Chrome.

Hell, we can even learn to tune a lil bit?

Don't you mean Crome? Heh.

But, yeah, you should get a wideband. My reccomendation is the PLX wideband. Many perfer the innovate LC-1, but it's wider (something crazy like 7-22 afr range), and gives you less resolution from 10-20 AFR, which is where you do the tuning to begin with. Both will work to log data.

Don't use the 'autotune' feature in many EMS programs, it'll only get you within range of a bad basemap. (This being said from someone had to write the only exsisting basemap for his engine.) The autotuning works, yeah, but it leaves it rough, and takes a bit of work to get right. It'll work for a start. Most autotune features don't work well in boost, so keep that in mind.

Xenocron sells an excelent datalogging cable/kit. I'd highly reccomend this, if you're not well versed in making cell phone cables, or working with 'project embedded systems'. Products for DIY ECU Enthusiasts who want to save money and do it right. TurboEdit, Uberdata and Crome supported here at Xenocron.com

Do you already have a chip emulator? If not, this'll make your tuning process easier, and much more accurate.

Tuning yourself is a good thing to know how to do, then all you wind up doing is buying dyno-time, or burning gas on an airstrip. <3

EDIT: but if you want some incredible datalogging, look at the hondata s300.

Last edited:
Yes, Crome, sorry :p We've talked about it a lil before. We each have a spare laptop, both of our ECU's are chipped and socketed already, so were good to go for the most part.

We'll see what qbert says in a lil bit.

Andrew:

If you're going to recirculate, here's some food for thought:

Attachments

• 4d63a449.jpg
    4d63a449.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 204
Got my outlet figured out:
IMG_9278.jpg

Might need to cut this out with the dremel:
IMG_9280.jpg

Picked up some more stuffs for my oil drain:
(the AN fittings were cheap so I bought some extra)
IMG_9281.jpg

Added my vacuum manifold:
IMG_9272.jpg

IMG_9276.jpg

Got the crazy bends figured out thanks to my box of couplers, sawzall, and other random crap.
IMG_9264.jpg

IMG_9269.jpg

IMG_9271.jpg

Heres how close the piping is to the manifold. I'll probably heat wrap it.
IMG_9266.jpg

I was going to pull my head off and drop the new gasket in, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I was running out of juice. Plus I start school Monday so I'm trying to keep the car as close the running as possible.
I'll do the head gasket swap tomorrow. I'm going to reuse my bolts since I haven't ordered them yet. Since I'm only running low boost I think I'll be ok for now. I don't think this little turbo will cause head lifting :p

Yeah, I'm not too worried about my headgasket/head from lift either. I wouldn't worry about it for now, but if you decide to turn up the boost, I'd drop a new gasket in.

Have you done a leakdown?

It's looking good. You'll be boosted before me by the looks of it. I haven't gotten my drain yet.

Last edited:
:confused:

n00b.
-------------
And Andrew, I'm gonna have to buy another radiator myself... Mine isn't gonna fit with the turbo. Such a bummer :p

Oh and did dude text you back about the injectors and whatnot?

Another thing.... All we need to Datalog in a cable and a laptop w/tuning software. Plug it into the ECU, then to the laptop: BOOM, good to go. **Edit** Well, it's a lil more involved than that, but thast the jest of it.
http://www.moates.net/zips/crome/Tuning with CROME v1.03.pdf

And one more thing... DL the tabs to "Saints of Los Angeles".. Or heck, just get some tabs for some staind or disturbed or any of the crap I listen to so we can jam out some this weekend!

Last edited:
noob?? I post a link to an interesting youtube video of a nasty F1 turbo and you high and mighty goofballs call me a noob?? Idiots. I've been on the "Internets" longer than many of you little punks have been alive.

I guess my intellect and sense of right and wrong is not worthy in this pool of CAR GODS.

Honestly? From what I've seen in the few weeks I've been here, many of you guys are so full of yourselves it's ridiculous. You seriously need to watch your attitudes. Primadonnas on a car internet forum. Now I've seen it all. If this is what HondaSwap is all about, ask the Ops to ban me so you can all sit around and circle jerk your egos together in peace.

Last edited:
noob?? I post a link to an interesting youtube video of a nasty F1 turbo and you high and mighty goofballs call me a noob?? Idiots. I've been on the "Internets" longer than many of you little punks have been alive.

I guess my intellect and sense of right and wrong is not worthy in this pool of CAR GODS.

Honestly? From what I've seen in the few weeks I've been here, many of you guys are so full of yourselves it's ridiculous. You seriously need to watch your attitudes. Primadonnas on a car internet forum. Now I've seen it all. If this is what HondaSwap is all about, ask the Ops to ban me so you can all sit around and circle jerk your egos together in peace.

I just think that nobody knew where you were coming from with that video post. Maybe it didn't seem on-topic. Dunno, I can't get to youtube here at work.

I just think that nobody knew where you were coming from with that video post. Maybe it didn't seem on-topic. Dunno, I can't get to youtube here at work.

Yep, exactly where I was coming from. I mean, you said watch the first 8 seconds.. and I watched 11 :p 3 more seconds than recommended!!! It was a picture of a turbo.

Ok, great.

You had nothing else to add to that.. I mean, you could have at least said something to the effect of..
"Hey, since you guys are tlakin about turbo's, here's a video of some turbo F1 cars. maybe you guys will be as fast as them one day..."

Or something to that effect. You let us know what the video was and threw a lil humor into it. Not just some random thing. I know YOU knew what you were thinkin, but we didn't. Maybe we aren't on the same level as you :ph34r:

BTW, any primadonna's posting in this thread? :eek: BTW, I'll be 27 in a month (terrible) so I doubt you've been on the interweb longer than I've been alive.

Last edited:
Back