Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

threadjack..sorry andrew..
but terrance why only $250??looks like a damn good job

I would look into CP pistons for your rebuild.
From what I have heard, they swell far less. Maybe that would help to eliminate the problem you are talking about?
Unless of course you already had them, then I would be wrong again :p
I've only heard negative reps on CP's. IDK why exactly, but everytime I see it come up in question they get flamed for asking about 'em. IDK for sure though. I need to do a little research on the subject.

But nah, I'm using some forged ones from KMS. along with some H-beam rods.
They don't look too bad either! :::

DSCN1609.jpg

DSCN1612.jpg

Overall I'm pretty happy with how they look. It looks like they are in pretty good shape. (btw these pictures were taken right after pulling it out. They are still wet, so what I'm saying is I didn't clean them for the pic.)
I'm not crazy
, either. I know that when I did the leakdown, it was bleeding through the crankcase. and YES- it was @ operating temp when I did it...
I'm gonna shop around for some pistons after checking my bore to see if I need to OS some more (like I said, I can step out to .025" and use OEM honda pistons, or I can step up to 76mm w/ another .020" bored out. = .040" total)
I'll plastigauge the mains upon reassembly and see how they check out, but they should be just fine...

I've only heard negative reps on CP's. IDK why exactly, but everytime I see it come up in question they get flamed for asking about 'em. IDK for sure though. I need to do a little research on the subject.

But nah, I'm using some forged ones from KMS. along with some H-beam rods.
They don't look too bad either! :::

Overall I'm pretty happy with how they look. It looks like they are in pretty good shape. (btw these pictures were taken right after pulling it out. They are still wet, so what I'm saying is I didn't clean them for the pic.)
I'm not crazy, either. I know that when I did the leakdown, it was bleeding through the crankcase. and YES- it was @ operating temp when I did it...
I'm gonna shop around for some pistons after checking my bore to see if I need to OS some more (like I said, I can step out to .025" and use OEM honda pistons, or I can step up to 76mm w/ another .020" bored out. = .040" total)
I'll plastigauge the mains upon reassembly and see how they check out, but they should be just fine...

About the CP's.. thats funny, Kaizenspeed (in Kennewick, WA) swears by CP pistons, and won't put anything else in their builds. They've built some pretty nasty cars, too. IDK, so many opinions, do what you like man. The build has looked pretty good so far anyway :thumbsup:

Whats the latest on the D man? When we stickin it back in? :)

Gah. I'm really busy now, unfortunately. I haven't done ANY work to the rex lately. Changed the oil in the daily and thats about it mechanic-wise.

I've got lots of tests to take in the next 2 days then I'll be in St. Augustine this weekend, and then I'm working up in Tennessee for a few weeks... so I'll be MIA for a bit. "It's been a good run, boys..." :D

...and then I'm working up in Tennessee for a few weeks... so I'll be MIA for a bit. "It's been a good run, boys..." :D

A few weeks!?! Dude, you realize you left no room for the Cruise in there, right?! n00b :D

Oh yeah. my bad. probably just 1 week. Then the cruise, then back to work. then... blah blah blah.

you get the idea :)

Figured since Andrew hasnt updated in a while, I would.

He's been working on it.. The D's all apart and whatnot. Kinda low on funds and time at the moment, but hopefully the Rex will be up N running soon.

Figured since Andrew hasnt updated in a while, I would.

He's been working on it.. The D's all apart and whatnot. Kinda low on funds and time at the moment, but hopefully the Rex will be up N running soon.

mrburns_excellent1.JPG

is it me or on the new civic si the oil filter is kind of a pain in the ass to get to?

Yeah it's a pain... Took a little convincing to do it, but it's not tooo bad.
A few of my friends with 06+'s say they changed the filters on a lift (so above their heads), but honestly I think it is/will be easier to do it on the ground on my back. IDK.

Anyway, yeah I'm sorry I haven't kept up with this thread guys. For that matter I haven't been online NEAR as much as before (and I love it! so much extra time....)

As far as the CRX right now:
I pulled the D16 out and tore it apart. I was clearly getting blowby, but found out that KMS actually installed some good rods (H-beam) so I can re-use them confidently.
Terrance had a GSR laying around from his wrecked partout car, so we came to the decision to install that into my CRX for a while, while I rebuild the D. I've still got a couple small things to take care of, but it's 90% done. (setup is just a stock GSR/cable B16 trans nothing special)

I've been in and out of town like mad this entire month. I just got in from New York last night.. Been working pretty hard with my Dad's company, Southgroupinstallation.com

We've also been rebuilding our El Camino more and more. The 93 434 was having a little trouble sitting on the frame w/ the stock oil pan, so we opted to buy a new one made for the 92-previous chassis. Also the headers we in need of change. We were using the ones that came with it (edlebrock shortys) and they were running right into the frame rails. instead of cutting/notching the rails, we bought some Hooker long tubes that were made for BBC's-into-chevelles/caminos. So hopefully that will work.

Sooo, thats the latest!
I'll get my procrastinating butt into work getting some pictures taken and uploaded to share with you guys.

Till then
-Andrew

And he comes clean ;)

GSR CRX w/a B16 tranny = giggity!

I'm still alive! just been busy, like always.
Been doing more work on the rex the past few days. Heres where I'm at.

Checklist until running:
-Get ECU from tuner.
-Figure out if I need to A) get a bung to weld in my exhaust for the o2 or B) talk to my tuner about running it w/o one and tuning it appropriately.

Checklist until driving:
-Radiator hoses. (Don't I use DA hoses? we'll see if those work.)

IMG_0734.jpg

I need a new bumper!
IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

I should have Ripper-vids soon!

-Andrew

I used the stock D-series hoses, I had to work them over the B-series water necks as the Bs are bigger, but I havent had a problem with it being like that.

I did the same with the hose. Don't have a problem at all and its been over two years now.

Will you make up your mind on what your going to do....

J/P great thread and good luck with the build.

All in good fun man!
I've had 5 engines in this crx now haha

if terrances ever comes around... I'd like to "do" something to this GSR.

mmmm tubo GSR crx.. yum!

I just don't see it happening. :p

An update for t3h Andrew. The GSR runs.. but the dang waterpump went out in it! Go figure.

So it's down yet again :(

ON the plus side though....Andrew did help me with this...

Before:
DSCN5374.jpg

After :)
DSCN5454.jpg

Not tuned yet, but it will be soon. Couldnt have done it w/out Andrew!

Back