Anybody here work with KVM Switches?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScrapinSi

Got a question... Booting 2 Identical Dell PC's... Currently, only 1 has a monitor, because the other just boots and does a process... I connect to the other PC using Remote Desktop Connection. This works okay for the current application, but if XP doesn't boot correctly, you have to manually hookup the KB, mouse, & monitor to it in order to find out why...

I am recommending to my company that they install a KVM Switch to resolve this issue... And this was the response I got...

There may be a problem with solution#1. The video cards on the champion machine will not enable themselves if a monitor was not connected a boot time. So try this and see if the KVM switch will enable the card.

Anybody know enough about KVM Switches to Agree/Disprove this theory?

Also, we have remote processor boards that do not have monitors, because they RARELY need to be touched... Mainly only when they are being replaced... I wanted to get a 4 port KVM Switch, and run a cable to the Remote board when needed. The only question I have is this... The KB/Mouse that we use for the Dell PC's are USB. The remote boards use PS2. Will the KVM Switch convert from USB/PS2?

ive never seen/used a KVM that has usb kb/mouse.

you can get a KVM that uses IP's and such though.

there might be such a KVM out there that does USB to PS2 but not 100% certain, use a KVM switch for a novell server and a windows server, both boot with no problems. even with one of the ports on the switch that has no computer attached to it set as the active terminal, botting either machine find all the input devices, mouse ,kb etc...

I'm the KVM Master.

There are powered KVMs that apply enough signal to the video cable (to the server) to make it think that it has a monitor hooked up. This is specifically for servers that get rebooted remotely.

Most appliances have a bios setting to "not wait for keyboard / mouse input" for boot-up - check that out sometime. But if you need a no-downtime solution, the Macally USB KVM is a good solution (But I have recieved dead ones in the past).

Again, servers should always have some sort of video / keyboard / mouse hooked up primarily for reboots or unattended reboots and updates. Also, IBM self-healers will open a console even with a process going on in the background that will ask for keyboard input - even if it knows one is not available.

-> Steve

The 2nd PC doesn't have a KB/Mouse hooked up to it normally... Hence the reason for the Remote Desktop Connection...

Steve... Got more links to a KVM that would fit my need?

And how about some more info on KVM over IP?

I have a KVM for my home network right now. Its PS/2 so that wont really help you out much. The IP KVM's are pretty damn nice as well. Im not sure what brand the one i was playing with was but its really nice, you can even daisy chain them together. Ill have to get a hold of my schools Admin and ask him what they are running.

Yeah... I REALLY want more info on IP KVM's... Assuming that they work AT BIOS LEVEL...

Back