anyone into punk?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

True punk rock to me will always be the first group from the mid-70's, like the Ramones, DK's, the Clash and the Sex Pistols. Nirvana and those ilk are more like grunge rock to me, but definitely of a later development. They were all raw harsh sounding groups where their musical abilities were behind what they wanted to express. I group my musical collection by time period and style. Love early Elvis Costello and Squeeze, yay the New Wave invasion back then too.

Over the summer, I saw previews of an upcoming independent movie about the The Real Kids from Boston. I can't wait for them to finish it. There was some cool footage taken in Japan of some kids there who wre doing covers of American rock groups, The Real Kids among them.

Originally posted by EF8CRXGen2@Oct 22 2003, 07:32 PM
You know that cock thats in your mouth? Take it out and go fuck yourself.

:lol: once again displaying your finely honed intraw3b skills, keep it coming, you're very entertaining. Almost like watching a bad comedian commit career suicide onlive TV, but more personalized.

I didnt associate Nirvana with punk music for the simple fact that they werent a punk band. The statement made about them being sold down the river because someone could make a ton of cash off them is inaccurate, Nirvana after dropping the seattle based sub pop label had a hard time scoring a major record deal, they ended up signing on the low end bottom of the barrel Geffin label DGM which was a complete joke to anyone in the music industry. And the band still didnt see much cash when Nevermind went to number one on the charts. ( I read the biography last month) as far as Good Charlotte, Sum 41, all those posers, they couldnt tie Sid Viscious's shoes. Theyre big record label puppets, and I only wish everyone could see it.

Originally posted by 92b16vx
DK = punk

I love DK, didn't East Bay Ray become some born again christian and denounce his punk past?

Anyway most of the bands listed in the post above are radio punk, which doesn't really hold true to the ideals they are "supporting". I myself am into actually hardcore, not sissy ass EMO bands calling themselves core because they have a heavy riff n some gay song about how fuckin' depressed they are, or some poppy group of anal retentive high school kids that dropped out AFTER they got a record deal. Dropdead, Antischism, Dystopia, Bad Brains, etc.. all define what "punk" is to me.

This man is the man.

I thought I knew punk until I started chatting with this guy. After, my record collection is woefully short and I have been an mp3 fiend. Bad Brains, The Decendents, Reagan Youth, Black Flag, Henry Rollins by himself, DK, the list goes on.

Punk only sucks if you aren't smart enough to understand what is being discussed and would rather listen to some boy band or 17 year old bimbo that was signed by Sony whine about being dumped.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Oct 22 2003, 11:50 AM
As far as the whole selling out thing is concerned, shit if I got offered a record deal I would sell out all the sorry fuckass 17 year old punk rockers in a heart beat.

I would secure my future with income, fuck being cool to the local scene or being underground.

No shit. I've been in a band. I don't mean a high school "let's be in a band to get chicks" band. I'm talking about an honest to god "let's have a real go at this shit and make it big" speed metal band. I left because they were assholes, but anyway...

Lemmie tell ya... Any music "fan" that hates a band because they "sell out" has never had a hard day in their life. You think making $200 a week to split between four people while being "underground" is enjoyable? You think eating about five meals a week means that you're a real musician? You think that living out of the van while on the road is a true sign of a band dedicated to their music? Fuck you! Working at McDonalds would pay more. Christ.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Oct 22 2003, 08:29 PM
Lemmie tell ya... Any music "fan" that hates a band because they "sell out" has never had a hard day in their life. You think making $200 a week to split between four people while being "underground" is enjoyable? You think eating about five meals a week means that you're a real musician? You think that living out of the van while on the road is a true sign of a band dedicated to their music? Fuck you! Working at McDonalds would pay more. Christ.

I don't hate bands because they sell out, I hate bands that change their views and sound to sell more records (CD's for you younguns). I was in a hardcore band, and toured twice, and it "sucked", always broke, always looking for a place to play and get some gas money when the show you had scheduelded cancelled, and on, and on. The thought of trying to cater to something we didn't want to be to make money just never crossed our minds. If you stay true to yourself, that is the end all be all of it.

i used to listen to alot of punk rock, ive progressed to mostly hardcore now.

im not gonna bother listing any bands because id be shocked and amazed if more than 1 other person on this thread had ever heard of any of them :p

Originally posted by micah@Oct 22 2003, 09:02 PM
im not gonna bother listing any bands because id be shocked and amazed if more than 1 other person on this thread had ever heard of any of them :p

You'd be surprised. :D

Theyre big record label puppets, and I only wish everyone could see it.

I see it, but I would do the same thing, and I know anybody else would, unless they are stupid, or extremely hard headed. Also, every band starts small, Good Charlette, Korn, Marylin Manson, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, I can go on and on. I heard every single one of those bands before I heard a song on the radio or a video on MTV. So they are not a puppets or sell outs, it is music that people find and catch on too. A big label see's the oppurtunity to sign them, and with that they get more advertisement and radio time. They don't sell out, they luck out and sign with a big label. It rarely happens that someone on a bad label or independent gets big. My favorite Independent artist, he came out with his first CD without a label is Ludacris.

Dude i like punk music i listen to whatever sounds good. Music like Op Ivy, Rancid, DK, Millencollie, MxPx, and the list goes on. I dont dress like a punker, i dress the surfer part, i find it funny that "punkers" are trying to look original when they look all the same no difference in what they were, and some refuse to shower. Most punk is up beat music that just gets you going. I like most of the local band stuff, which the kids are playing for barely any money and doing it for fun. what it should be not looking to strick it big on MTV but just entertain.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 22 2003, 06:27 PM
That was clever.How long did it take you to think of that one?

No you're original post was dumb. He just retorted it with a stupid answer which is all you seem to understand. Why doesn punk suck, I don't like it but at least give a reason. I hate people that say I hate country or rap or whatever. Why? Because it sucks, those people are just ignorant fucks.

I agree with you. I don't generally like rap or country because I have no interest in listening to it, but I don't just say it sucks. I say (most of) it doesn't interest me.

For the most part... like 99% of the time...I listen to bands such as Linkin park, metallica, bloodhound gang, Staind, Korn, etc. but i mix it up too, I listen to green day, collective soul, no doubt as well. No one can like just any single genre. Hell I have a Nelly and Outkast Cd, and let me tell ya what...those cd's are fucking hilarious to listen to, and the Songs aren't that bad at all.

It's just a matter of taste. I used to like Nirvana a lot when *I* found them a couple of years ago...I bought a couple CDs, and then the anniversary of Kurt being a fucknut struck, and I got sick of seeing the songs on MTV. Now if a Nirvana song comes on the radio...I'll throw in a CD of something else. Just because I don't want to listen to it. Not because it sucks, but because I'm not interested in it.

The radio station you listen to also tends to determine what music you listen to. When I was younger, my dad made us listen to country. so I got to like it...used to sing it, and now I can't stand listening to it. I also used to listen to soft pop shit until a new station came to town when I was in 6th grade, 96.3 "The Edge"...they played grundge, rock and roll, etc. So I started listening to that...since then I moved on to 98.9 "the Bear" which plays Ozzy, Metallica, Godsmack, etc for the most part.

Frankie what would you do if there were no ignorant fucks on the internet to make fun of? You'd be really bored. so don't go puttin the kid down that hard. :lol: :p :p

Originally posted by Chauncey_333+Oct 22 2003, 10:21 AM-->
94RedSiGal
@Oct 22 2003, 12:01 AM
The bass player in the Dead Kennedys is an old buddy of mine. B)

Too bad all the ex-members sold out and sued Jello and Alternative Tentacles. Now they're trying to tour again, without Jello. That's retarded. DK-Jello=crap Just goes to prove the saying- Kill your Idols

The rest of the band didn't sell out. They were involved in other projects for a while. And what's the definition of selling out? None of them are driving Ferraris, I think that by this point, it's okay for them to each own a house. The band as the DK's just performed in Turkey, and they were upset to find out too late that Coca Cola was sponsoring the event. I think the Cranberries were on the bill too.

They had to sue Jello. He was stealing an unfair share of the band's money over the years. Jello might be a good band frontman, but he is a huge self-centered asshole. :angry:

hellz yeah Loco, I totally agree :thumbsup:

My band was called "The Scuffs" and yes I was the singer and yes we sucked dick. But all in all I had fun doing it, we basically made music, drank, and such. We "my buddies" just wanted to have fun. It wasn't for a supernatural cause of being shunned by the government or corporate conglomerates, it was for fun and I had a blast doing it.

Shit, I would sell out in a heart beat like I said before. There is nothing pleasant about living like a poor bastard for a so called anti this and anti that notion.

i was thinking about this subject at work today while picking books. now i am not into the punk scene, but i did know alot of people back in the early 90s that were heavily into it. to them, punk wasnt about clothes. it was about music and attitude and rebelling against society. the guys i knew would beat the shit out of 95% of the people that say they are in the scene, but are actually posers (such as that chick that was chatting to the guy that posted this). they would beat the shit out of the posers then laugh at them. these guys were hardcore and where-as the people that claim they are "punk" are a bunch of lame ass posers who front with their gear and paraphanelia bought at the mall. shit, most people into punk that I know wouldnt dare go to the mall because of the stupid teeny boppers...not to mention probably get into some fight over the way they looked by some dip shit jock who is spoiled by mommy and daddy. like i said, punk is about attitude and music and NOT clothes.

ive noticed a lot of people in this thread really dont know what they are talking about... Punk is not just about not selling out and staying underground.. if you notice, rancid's new album is with WARNER. yes, major record label. they play them on radio stations now. but you want to tell me that lars tim and matt arent punk? anyways. and i know every person here knows rock the casbah. who did that song... a little band called the clash. or even i wanna be sedated. punk is a feeling and an attitude. i listen to a lot of different kinds of music, anywhere from the ramones to george thorogood to zeppelin to mozart. i love music. i am going to major in music in college. but that doesnt matter.. if you dont like punk, then fuck off.

I dont dress like a punker, i dress the surfer part, i find it funny that "punkers" are trying to look original when they look all the same no difference in what they were, and some refuse to shower.

Hippies don't shower, not punkers. I know a few punkers, and they are cool as shit, we just don't like each others music, and there is no problem with that. I don't have to listen to theirs, and they don't have to listen to mine.

if you dont like punk, then fuck off.

That is just an ignorant statement, I don't like it, if you said you didn't like pussy, which you probably don't, I wouldn't tell you to fuck off. C'mon on now, I just got through with another guy who said dumb shit like this. The beginning of your post was fine, you supported your opinion, but don't screw it up with this type of post.

Now, some punk is good I will give you that, but most doesn't appeal to my taste. Also, as somebody stated before, listening to what your parents did affects with what you listen to now. I mean, how many of us listen to oldies regularly? Not a lot of us, yet we know how many songs from the 50's? I wouldn't like rap if it wasn't for my sister. (God Bless Her, she isn't dead I am just saying thanks.) Anyway, if it wasn't for her I would be listening to country and talk radio, that is about it. Pretty much, listen to what you like, but give me a reason, please.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 22 2003, 07:31 PM
I dont dress like a punker, i dress the surfer part, i find it funny that "punkers" are trying to look original when they look all the same no difference in what they were, and some refuse to shower.

Hippies don't shower, not punkers. I know a few punkers, and they are cool as shit, we just don't like each others music, and there is no problem with that. I don't have to listen to theirs, and they don't have to listen to mine.

yea hippies dont shower but i been to some punk concerts where there was some smellie people that shower once a week

Maybe they spent the night to get good seats, and some people just have bad hygene, but for the most part, punkers are clean and hippies are just plain nasty.

maybe sometimes, but the ones i notice are at little local punk concerts where there is no need for long lines seeing that only a hand full of people go

Back