anyone know of a diff smaller than d-series?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

this is for a custom application. Doesn't necessarily have to be Honda but ideally needs to have a smaller housing diameter than a d-series and ideally same axle configuration ie- spline count/profile/etc

anybody know of anything?

Last edited:
metro...tercel (i dont know if those are 8 bolt or not).

I know the fit uses a 10 bolt.

Looks like the 72 z600 diff is an 8 bolt.

forgot to mention that I'm ideally trying to find one that lsds are already available, would save me TONS of engineering and machining

yeah....sooo....thats a horse of a different color. I got nothing smaller than a d-series...maybe an MR2/Celica....thats the only thing i got that MIGHT be smaller than a d-series that have LSD available.

really? thats pretty badass

i mean worst case scenario i could just get a donor unit for the guts and just machine up an outer case but it would obviously be way easier to find an existing unit thats at least sort of close so that i would just need to modify it to fit

i'd hate to have to do a phantom

How small are you looking to get it? I'd say just use a custom ring gear; should be cheaper than machining up a new case(and running into potential problems).

it actually wouldnt cost that much to get the case modified, i work at a manufacturing firm with an in-house machine shop

a custom ring gear would be a major pita comparatively

i hadnt thought of machining both the case and the ring gear to match tho, i think i might be able to use a d-series diff if i do that

If for a civic why not source a civc rear diff from a all wheel drive civic , there were all wheel drive d powered civics , both the civic wagon and an ej 4 door (rare ) then fab a phantom grip to fit the dif

?? this would solve no problems but only add additional hurdles that i would have to tackle. I am definitely not looking to do a civic rear diff for numerous reasons, just a few of which being i already have 2 crv rears available for the project, and the mounting and related modifications and fabrications (ie- trailing arms, etc) are already all planned out. Secondly, phantom slips suck ass. Anyone who knows anything knows that. And anyways if I wanted to do a phantom I would already have one in the crv rear.

Looking to do a REAL lsd- clutch, viscous, helical, etc. Ideally helical for performance reasons. If I have to shitdick the whole project together then there's no point to any of it

I just thought of one; what about those AWD ATV's? I'm pretty sure the front has to have some sort of differential; maybe even a LSD.

FYI
the mounting location and trailling are mods will be basicly the same if you use a crv dif or a civic dif dumb ass , fine you have two crv diff at your disposal , yes phantoms grips suck , but not as much as an open diff ,
and an avt diff menat for maybe 40hp is the stupidest idea yet , and you think its a good idea

yeah i need to find measurements on one of those, need to find someone thats got one

Back