Automatics need some Love too

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

As far as I know (at least for USDM) CVT is only offered in Civic HX, Civic Hybrid, and the Insight. I don't believe they made one for the Accord or the Prelude, because the CVT can't handle that much power, well at least the ones that Honda makes. (I believe Audi makes a chain version of the CVT that can handle more power, but Honda's I believe they use rubber hence why some people call it the rubberband transmission). CVT as a technology still has potential for automatic cars, I know that for my Civic HX it launches harder than an normal automatic, almost like a manual. timEspeed, if you where try to say that a CVT is a "manumatic," it's not. It's just another form of an automatic transmission.

if you where try to say that a CVT is a "manumatic," it's not. It's just another form of an automatic transmission.

I was just trying to explain whats up. However the CVT has set ratios that are controlled by a button on the steering wheel. Has anyone heard of a similar tranny in a prelude?

I know they have something like that, but again, it's not from Honda (again, I think its from Audi). The closest thing to that is the "S" and "L" mode, which basically simulates the "D2" and D1" in most automatics. The only thing I can think of that your are thinking of ( :blink: ) is that some Prelude had automatic transmission with "Sequential SportShift." That's the closest thing that was made for Preludes.

The Prelude with the "Sequential SportShift" (SS) occured in the 5th generation, so I think '97 to the very last one. Word of warning. Preludes, for Honda, was there experimental car. The SS was there first, and about 40% of them fail. I heard that around 2000 and up, they should be okay, but I'm still kinda iffy on it. Unforunately, I don't know the transmission code/number of the good ones. And I think it also is the case for the regular auto. You might not of heard this because most people who pick up a Prelude, usually get the manual, which I pretty much suggesting the same. But if still want to get one, all I can say is get a Transmission Fuild Cooler and change your ATF regularly, and hopefully that will help.

And just in case you don't believe me (I donno why not :blink: ) :p , you can find a bunch of people complaining about it, just do a search. And here is a very good one. Hope that helps

and it wasnt the first to have this sequential shift crap... 90-93 integras had form of it. s and 4th could be controled by the drive

Originally posted by Wytt@May 13 2004, 06:04 PM
The Prelude with the "Sequential SportShift" (SS) occured in the 5th generation, so I think '97 to the very last one. Word of warning. Preludes, for Honda, was there experimental car. The SS was there first, and about 40% of them fail. I heard that around 2000 and up, they should be okay, but I'm still kinda iffy on it. Unforunately, I don't know the transmission code/number of the good ones. And I think it also is the case for the regular auto. You might not of heard this because most people who pick up a Prelude, usually get the manual, which I pretty much suggesting the same. But if still want to get one, all I can say is get a Transmission Fuild Cooler and change your ATF regularly, and hopefully that will help.

And just in case you don't believe me (I donno why not :blink: ) :p , you can find a bunch of people complaining about it, just do a search. And here is a very good one. Hope that helps

Yes, I've heard that also, but that is fifth gen. The fourth gen auto lasts a long time. My original tranny went 225k, including a year's abuse by the H22. I replaced it while in perfect working condition(h22a tranny w/lsd :) ). My very good friend made 301k on his first tranny, untouched besides maintenance.

They are quite durable in the fourth gen. :nod:

I work at Valvoline so changing ATF is no problem. I change my oil every 3 weeks with 5w20 maxlife (thats right, 1,000 mi a week!!) I found a tranny cooler for $30 also. However, I'm not sure that this is the tranny I'm thinking of. How'd the SS differ from a conventional auto?

Yes, I've heard that also, but that is fifth gen. The fourth gen auto lasts a long time. My original tranny went 225k, including a year's abuse by the H22. I replaced it while in perfect working condition(h22a tranny w/lsd ). My very good friend made 301k on his first tranny, untouched besides maintenance.

They are quite durable in the fourth gen.

were you satisfied with the way the tranny shifted/ gear ratios?

The "Sequential SportShift" in the prelude is no different than a normal automatic. The "Sequential SportShift" trannys have a mode were you control the upshift so the computer will not shift until you tell it to. This is nothing like the CVT transmission your thinking of. As far as know the CVT tranny just came in one of the civics.

Originally posted by timEspeed@May 14 2004, 12:32 PM

were you satisfied with the way the tranny shifted/ gear ratios?

I do mostly town driving, and have an NA H22.

If given the choice, shorter gearing would have been better. I would like fourth gear to top out, rather than third.

I do a lot less freeway driving than city driving, so gas mileage is not an issue for me much.

The shift is good. Reliablility is good. I would like a final drive better suited to me, but hey, maybe I'll just get a turbo. :)

does anyone know where to get a auto trany control unit for my h22 so that it will shift at the right point?

try Ebay. Auto H22's were only available in Japan. I imagine that anyone who sells H22 Auto's should have access to the TCU.

Someone informed me a while back that you have to run a wire to the JDM TCU. It was the Green/White. For some reason, if you don't run this wire, your tranny will not shift out of park. Just like if you don't step on the brake. :)

Back