Avoiding Tuning

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

not sure if these are close to you or not..

TagRacecraft
1015 Industry Street
Oakville, Ontario
L6J 2X3
http://tagracecraft.com
Tel: 416-418-2414

Magnus Motorsports

8600 Keele St., Unit # 33
Concord, Ontario
Canada L4K 4H8
Tel. #: 905 669 8400 Fax. #: 905 669 0888

Magnus Motorsports is world reknowned for their craftsmanship, exceptional quality and attention to detail. Cars can be Dyno tuned, Track tuned or Street tuned, but we prefer Dyno tune.

No. It's like the difference between Cali and New York.

Thanks for the effort though.

I'm really close to Seattle though. Anyone know of any shops there?

If you insist. :shrug2:

There are people driving around on untuned mini-me's and P29 setups with no issues. The bores on the D-series are small enough where detonation isn't a concern until higher compressions.

Last edited:
Idk man.

Going from a stock 9.2:1 Cr to 10:1 seems like a substantial jump.

its roughly an 8.7% change in compression. I would guess you may run a little lean or a little detonation, and that's about it.

Run it for a bit check your plugs and see if they indicate running lean or misfires/pre-ignition, before you jump into swapping out the pistons. Either that run a higher octane, or retarding the timing.

No issues with 10:1 CR and stock P28 basemap.
:ditto: K2e2vin knows his D series pretty good. Plus I have experience with it too. Ran 10.5:1 in a d15B for a couple of weeks on a pretty much stock p28 bin. Only thing I messed with was voltage offsets and idle afr's until I was able to get a full map on it. It just won't be to its full potential with a stock bin.

Ok.

On my first thread I put up Blanco and someone else said I had to tune it.

But like I said before my dad commuted with that motor for 6000 miles with some sort of basemap and it still runs like gold today, he just put insurance on his S2K.

Last edited:
How about this.

I'll put pics up of the spark plugs up tomorrow and you can tell me if I'm getting detonation with the 10:1 set up I have now.

ideally you would want to tune it. Especially if you want it to run at its best.

Kinda like ideally you would want to tune your car after you add an intake, header, aftermarket exhaust.

Sometimes the difference in minimal, along with the benefits. It of course depends on the vehicle

When its cold it idles a bit rough but could that be the IACV or my crushed PCV hose? When its warmed up it runs perfect.

Here are the spark plugs:

100_2613.jpg

100_2614.jpg

100_2616.jpg

Plugs look normal.

A bad IACV and PCV valve can cause idling issues. As long as the PCV can get vacuum, that shouldn't be a problem. For the IACV, just clean it and see if that helps. You can also try cleaning the TB.

Since that motor is coming out soon because of a few things I want to change, I cleaned up a spare D16A6 intake manifold I had lying around. Cleaned the IACV put new gaskets in a couple of places and it has a good PCV hose.

The crushed one I have right now is like sucking through a 16 gauge wire if it was hollow.

So what now?

I put a D16Z6 headgasket it in (right now it has a D16A6 headgasket) and a stock D16Z6 basemap then set the timing?

If I did that how could I constantly monitor if I'm getting detonation? Check the spark plugs? Isn't there a knock if its detonating?

But again if I put D16Z6 pistons in I wouldn't have to worry about anything and it would run at its best.

Detonation wouldn't really show on the plugs. You'd need to install some sort of external/third party knock sensor or use a "det can".

You wouldn't always notice any knock, the human senses aren't that great.

If you want it to run like stock, then yeah throwing Z6 pistons would be good.

IMO, you're better off keeping the A6 pistons in there so long as the clearance is good. The flatter A6 piston, and higher compression in general, means a more complete burn. Just remember to keep the ignition at base and run known "good" gas.

^ this
I was referring to the plugs since I have heard of people checking them when tuning a turbo car.

wont let me rep you. good info throughout this thread.

What do you mean by keeping the ignition at a base? Keeping the timing set correctly?

Yup. A lot of people advance their timing for more power. One of the advantage of higher compression is the ability to get a complete burn without having to advance timing(although more power can possibly be had, I do not recommend it unless a tuner is doing it on a dyno).

^ this
I was referring to the plugs since I have heard of people checking them when tuning a turbo car.

wont let me rep you. good info throughout this thread.
Your rep went through, thank you.

And that pic is in the back of every Haynes manual.

Except I have a orangey bar now, what does that mean?

Yup. A lot of people advance their timing for more power. One of the advantage of higher compression is the ability to get a complete burn without having to advance timing(although more power can possibly be had, I do not recommend it unless a tuner is doing it on a dyno).
Well it was set to 0 anyway but that info helps again.

Thank you very much. + Rep.

Back