Axis Wheels...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

habit

Hey,

I was wondering if you guys like axis wheels. I was looking to get a set of them? Do you know anyone that has some or yourself have them? What are your opinion on them?

Thanks.

pissedoffsol,

I know that the 'mag-lites' are pretty light. Like 11lbs for the 15inch. Are you sure that they are weak? They are forged. For the rest of the line up. Yes they are maybe heavy. But what did you think of looks. I already have Rota SS. Just for rolling. What do you think. And again for weak. Do you have any personal experience that they are weak? Or know of someone that had them?

well, you didn't say which ones you were looking at- just in general.

IMO, no real tuners use them. rice boys do. even if one style they make are light, i dunno.

you can't fail with the tried and true

Volks
Racing harts
Buddy club
Rota's
mugen/spoon

pretty much any style wheel that has been made was ripped off of one of these company's.

when it comes to wheels, light, strong, cheap, look good
choose 3.
and rotas are no exception. they are cheap, light, and look good, but aren't as strong

My friend has 17" Axis Touring Cups on his civic EX... And I always wondered why his car was so slow... :) The wheels weigh 23lbs a piece... Compared to 17lbs a piece for my 17" SubZeros.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 8 2003, 10:27 AM
17s are rice, no matter who makes em. way too big for a civic

agree

Advan's are nice

I sold these and I have 17" gold Volk GT-C's on the way... I guess I'm a riceboy :ghey: :tfg:

DSC02237.JPG

pissedoffsol,

You know that there are more knocked off wheels made by Rota. If you look close there wheels are all knocked off. You know that Slipstreams are Desmond Regamaster/Spoon sw388. Group N1 is mugen RNR. Subzero's are Racing Hart CP-035. Some of the Rota are heavy. You should take a look. So you know that there are not too many wheels that Axis are knock off's. Look at TripleDigitEK4 he has 17's I don't think that he's really rice. There are nice wheels in every size. pissedoffsol if 17's are too big and rice. Then we should all drive with 13in steelies. There not rice then.

the reason why he says 17's are rice (so do I) is because they hurt performance, and provide no funtion like all the other ricer mods. The rotainal mass is increased when you go to 17's no matter how light they are. Lift up a push broom in the middle of the handle and try and spin it using your arm as the axis, not that hard right? Now put your hand at the top of the broom handle and now try and spin/lift it. Lot harder now isnt it? The same thing goes for you engine-to-wheels. It is making the engine use alot more force to keep them spinning.

On the contrary, when you have a FF car that makes "real power" :fuckyou: and torque you'll need that additional inertia and heavier rotational mass to help minimize the ridiculous wheel spin you're going to run into. Not to mention if you're looking for handling performance you can put a nastier tire on a 17" rim like the Yokohama Advan A032R's I'm getting in 235/40/17's. in a statement... "meet up with me sometime this year and we'll see who's a ricer and who's a racer. But anyways, I guess ignorance is bliss. :owned:

Scott... I think thats a typo... 235????? :eek:

And my car launches BETTER on 17's than it did on the stock Si wheels... 2 lbs lighter wheel/tire combo...

Originally posted by TripleDigitEK4@Mar 8 2003, 03:02 PM
On the contrary, when you have a FF car that makes "real power" :fuckyou: and torque you'll need that additional inertia and heavier rotational mass to help minimize the ridiculous wheel spin you're going to run into. Not to mention if you're looking for handling performance you can put a nastier tire on a 17" rim like the Yokohama Advan A032R's I'm getting in 235/40/17's. in a statement... "meet up with me sometime this year and we'll see who's a ricer and who's a racer. But anyways, I guess ignorance is bliss. :owned:

If you are relying on heavier (larger) wheels to counter wheel spin, you don't know how to drive. :)
So you think you can't get good tires to go on 15" wheels? You haven't done much looking. There are some great tires made for 15" wheels. Besides, before you start calling people ignorant you ought to check yourself. Less side wall is not always better. E_Sol_Si posted a great arguement against running tires that are thinner than the lip of your rim in our suspension forum. I don't feel like posting it again, but it's there. Do a search.

Read all this

Read this thread, very good reason why you should get smaller tires

Good article
Good article part 2

from that one thread the guy was wondering why le mans cars have 17's, 18's ect. this explains most of it.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 2 2003, 08:29 PM
Well the 911's have the power to compansate for the extra rotational mass. As for racing and cars like le Mans, they use extremly sticky tires, they have to replace them every 50 or so laps and have a good 600 hp to spin those tires. Le Mans and other racing like this is where alot of the "ricer" (not calling you ricer) trends came from. Yes spoilers can be funtional but it is when going over 140 mph in a rear wheel drive car. Yes body kits can be good if designed properly and your driving 140 mph. Big wheels can be ok if you have the money to buy tires every hundred miles and have a few hundred hp to keep them spinning.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 8 2003, 10:45 PM
Yes spoilers can be funtional but it is when going over 140 mph in a rear wheel drive car.

spoilers can be functional in ANY race car. sometimes even more benefical in a fwd car where the ass end is lighter.

Originally posted by TripleDigitEK4@Mar 8 2003, 05:02 PM
meet up with me sometime this year and we'll see who's a ricer and who's a racer. But anyways, I guess ignorance is bliss. :owned:

yes, we will.
bring your 17's - I'll be on 13" lenso's :)

spoilers can be functional in ANY race car. sometimes even more benefical in a fwd car where the ass end is lighter.

umm no. the ass end is lighter, putting a wing on it takes weight OFF the front of the car, and we have lift off captain.
and your civic is not a race car. I dont care how built it is. Race cars pull 1.5G's and actually have an undercarriage that is designed to create a vacuum. Not a civic.

If you are relying on heavier (larger) wheels to counter wheel spin, you don't know how to drive.
I couldn't agree more. The only reason why "larger, faster" cars tend to have bigger wheels (i/e skyline, supra, etc) is because they have bigger brakes to stop the heavier, faster car. in order to fit bigger brakes, you need larger wheels. its a simple concept.

And my car launches BETTER on 17's than it did on the stock Si wheels... 2 lbs lighter wheel/tire combo...

again, thats driver error.

F1 cars or pretty much any open wheel race car, only uses like 6" rotors anyway, with like 18" wheels? If you look on open wheel rotors, like from the hub out is only a few inches, they dont need the extra 4 inches of rotor, only the part the caliper grabs on to. I'll try to find some more info and/or pictures.

I think that i wanted to know how axis wheels are? But we have gotten to a point that we are discussing brake rotor size and wheels sizes and weights. But you know some 17in wheels sets could be lighter than 15in wheels sets. You know by the tire size. If you have a large side wall on the 15's and then a light weight 17's wheels with a low pro tire. You could get a lighter setup. But that would be one expensive 17in light weight wheel. Ah whatever. You know all show or all go. Whatever you like. Its better than into Star Trek.(i like tng!) Just fueling the fire. Why does the new DC5r have 17's?

why does it have i-vtec?
why does it have a POS k-series motor?
the list goes on....

and this statement is not ture:
But you know some 17in wheels sets could be lighter than 15in wheels sets. You know by the tire size. If you have a large side wall on the 15's and then a light weight 17's wheels with a low pro tire. You could get a lighter setup. But that would be one expensive 17in light weight wheel.

lower profile tires are often heavier than taller profile because they are designed to be stiffer and have more rubber.

my 15x7's weight 8.7 lbs a pop and cost me 1200 for the set. find me a 17 that even comes CLOSE to that weight rating for even double the price, and i'd be suprised.

Back