Axles too long

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

And you waisted $400 because you could have gone to the junk yard and gotten some teg axles that would have worked just fine for $25. You can replace a LOT of axles for $400.

on my 88 crx si with a b16a1 swap i used 94 del sol halfshaft for the passenger side and 86 teg ls halfshaft for the drivers side. i tried different halfshafts before i found out what was to work. i also bought mine from advanced auto, not pricey at all considering what they are. and the del sol halfshaft has a male and female end. the 86 teg halfshaft has two male ends, it's about a half inch shorter than a 90-93 ls halfshaft. i hope that helps some? ;)

Originally posted by HondaMoCo@May 13 2004, 11:52 AM
did you remove the dustshields on the hubs?

This is the correct answer to your question.. Inside the hub is a 1mm thick sheild, it's about 3 inches in diameter. If you pop them out with a screwdriver, the axle should not give you any more trouble....

Also in reference to people earlier talking about putting the wrong axle in the wrong side, one is only half splined, that's how you tell them apart, but they are equal lengths. And the 94+ teg, and 92+ Civic/Del Sol (JDM B series) track an inch or so wider, so the axles are a little longer, in other words, if you use a say 94 Del Sol axle on the passengerside, and the 90-93 teg set on the drivers, you're messing with the suspensions geometry and how the car is going to handle.

I don't think you can even use mix and match axles like that. The geometry of the suspension is determined by the length of the control arms, and has nothing to do with the halfshafts. If you don't have the right ones, they just aren't going to fit properly. If you get ones that are too long, they might fit, but will compress the joints too much. If they are too short, they'll stretch the joints too much.

Im having that same problem with my swap.

i have a 93 Xsi teg b16a and using the shafts that came with it. and samething, i get the grinding sound only on right turns.

havent fixed the problem, but i read some wear that there is a spacer in the hub that needs to be removed, not sure where i read it though. havent tried this, to busy with work.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 2 2004, 12:33 PM
You can fit them, but it ain't right.

what else is there bexides aftermarket ones?

i know you can change it to the b16 sir ones with intermed. What else is there?

Originally posted by racingtopher+Jun 3 2004, 12:34 AM-->
@Jun 2 2004, 12:33 PM
You can fit them, but it ain't right.

what else is there bexides aftermarket ones?

i know you can change it to the b16 sir ones with intermed. What else is there?

There is OEM and aftermarket, besies that, what are you asking? sveeral shops make aftermarket axles Raxles, Driveshaft Shop, Enjo, HAsport (OEM replacement), MMR, etc...

Originally posted by racingtopher@Jun 2 2004, 12:09 PM
havent fixed the problem, but i read some wear that there is a spacer in the hub that needs to be removed, not sure where i read it though. havent tried this, to busy with work.

I found out that there is a washer on the inside of the hub that can be removed that will give you the extra space that is needed to rid of the grinding. sometimes the washer is stuck to the axle.

Back