b16 won't start, need input

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wiredjosh

Hey all, I have a b16a in a 90 DX hatch that won't start. I have checked and double checked everything, but it's just not happening. I have spark, I have compression, I have even used a NOID light to make sure that the injectors are getting pulses from the ecu. I have done the DX-MPFI swap lots of times, so I know that's all wired up right, the car's just not starting. Does anyone have any ideas?

The last thing I could think of was that the TDC sensor wires were crossed, since they are always so faded, so I tried switching those around, but with no success. I double checked the timing belt, so I know it's in timing. I checked all of my wiring connections, so I know that they're ok, and I double checked my distributor sequence, firing order, etc. I also checked my grounds. Is there some stupid thing that I'm missing? I am getting no codes off the ECU also. If anyone has any ideas, I could sure use 'em.

Thanks in advance! :doh:

I tried that and I know it's not a fuel issue. I also burped the fuel line and bled the pressure regulator. Any other ideas?

Originally posted by wiredjosh@Sep 15 2004, 07:47 AM
I tried that and I know it's not a fuel issue. I also burped the fuel line and bled the pressure regulator. Any other ideas?
[post=390569]Quoted post[/post]​

Banana in the tailpipe :)

No, but seriously, recheck the ignition timing. If the motor cranks, and you are getting fuel and spark, you should be able to turn it over if the ignition timing is right.

if you have fuel, then check for spark

EDIT: Pull your plugs and check for spark, have a friend turn it over while one plug is grounded to metal

I don't know if the engine runs, but I did buy it from an importer that I have used lots of times before. They have always delivered good engines to me, and they compression and leakdown test their engines before they sell them, so I don't think that's a worry.

I have checked/tested for all of the following, with good results:
spark plugs on the valve cover
noid light on injectors
continuity to the injectors
continuity to all distributor wiring
distributor wiring pinout
power to resistor box
grounds
compression
injector order at ECU
Firing order
tested ECU in another car
swapped out main relay for a known good relay
checked all fuses/fusibles

I have also disconnected both the fpr and fuel filter, and they are both pressurized.

I also rechecked the timing, and I know that the timing is good.

If I have spark, there's really no worry about the internals of the distributor, right? I'm seriously out of ideas.

Tonight I'm going to swap out the injectors altogether, just in case they're not actually flowing, but I don't think that's a problem since I can smell gas after cranking it for a few seconds. If you have any other input for me, I would be happy to hear about it. Hit me up on AIM (wiredspeedjosh) or email me at josh@wiredspeed.com if you have any ideas for me!!

Well, It could be a few problems......

Check to MAKE SURE if there is a ground connected to the thermostat housing, thats probably it.

Ya, sorry I spaced out and forgot to finish my reply, SO ANYWAY.....

Ya, definately try that thermostat housing, That is a major ground that is needed for the car to start and run good.

Check the MAIN RELAY, that could be it.

What kind of ECU are you running, That might be it.

Check the 50AMP fuses that are under the hood in the fuse box, one of those might be blown.

Does the motor Crank????

yes, the motor cranks

yes, i have checked all the grounds about forty times.

i replaced the main relay with one that was known good, out of my running crx

running a pr3 ecu.

checked every fuse in the car, none blown.

any other suggestions?

also, i just pulled the timing cover back off and checked the timing, and it is DEAD ON.

yeah, there's gas in the tank! i already thought of that...

i have no pinched fuel lines, and have fuel pressure both at the banjo bolt and the fpr, as well has having already tested injector signal with a noid light. I can also smell fuel coming out the header after a few seconds of cranking, so I'm certain that it's getting fuel delivery. I don't know how good the fuel filter is, but it's letting gas thru.

yes, it cranks fine but will not run.

have you pulled the fuel rail and held in the injectors to see them fire they may be getting the light to blink but the injector could be bad and not firing or clogged or something

Back