b16?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX2NR18

well tonight i raced a B16 CRX SI, in my mini-me a6/z6 CRX HF... put it this way... i pulled half a car from a 40 roll, and a full car from a 20... no offense but he payed 2k for his swap, he has i/h/e , i payed 250 for my motor (including everything in the rebuild), actual motor costed me 90 bucks, i,h,e is also what i have. I mean i know my car is 300lbs lighter then his but in the end IMO a b16 wouldnt have been worth it for the price. Im not trying to bash b16s but everyone kept saying to me, why did u go with a Z6 and not a b16, b16's are better bla bla bla bla. There are mass reasons why. This guy is a good driver too, hes runnin lioke 14.7 or so. and up here in ohio at edgewater (shitty track) thats a good time. Im just excited that my D series is whoopin up on some b series now... rant over

flame below....

[flame]

:gives:

The racing section was closed for a reason...

(leaving flame tag open)

i didnt start this to brag about a race, i was wondering why so many people do b16 swaps in there crx's? that was the question

Cause they want to.... I dunno I remember reading from someone that a D16 can only take you so far, to have real potential you need a B series to get the max hp and torque from a completely built motor.

Originally posted by CRX2NR18@Jul 11 2004, 08:34 AM
i didnt start this to brag about a race, i was wondering why so many people do b16 swaps in there crx's? that was the question

If you're ever in Germany with your mini me, I'll show you why ;)

a D16A6 with bolt ons has more toqrue than a B16....putting a z6 head on there will only help it, but it's true, a D series can only go so far. Let's see a reliable 300 whp D series that's a daily driver.

First off 14.7 in a CRX with a B16 is fucking SAD I've seen MANY newer civic coupes run that fast with a stock B16 let a lone a car tha weighs a few hundred lbs less

Now as far as your sad little race

I had a B16 in my 95 Civic DX, My friend had a stock motor in his 95 DX with crappy exhaust and a intake. We've raced many times from a rolling start and everytime he would hang with me for 2-3 secs before my car would start to pull.

Everytime he would hang with me till the upper end HOWEVER

I could run 15.3s with a LS tranny almost every single time down the strip he could run a 17.5

Hmmmmm

take it to the track and see what happens when it's timed in the 1/4 mile unless his car is way out of tune or just filled with800lbs of stero crap..... you will get your ass handed to you

BTW in current form that B16 in my civic DX is making 380WHP and is drivin daily once again at 380WHP

Try doing that with your motor

Originally posted by CRX2NR18@Jul 11 2004, 02:34 AM

Because it's an overhyped, overrated engine. Sure, it makes decent numbers on boost, but unless you do that, you might as well swap a D16Z6 in there.

Originally posted by jeffie7@Jul 11 2004, 11:24 AM
First off 14.7 in a CRX with a B16 is fucking SAD I've seen MANY newer civic coupes run that fast with a stock B16 let a lone a car tha weighs a few hundred lbs less

Now as far as your sad little race

I had a B16 in my 95 Civic DX, My friend had a stock motor in his 95 DX with crappy exhaust and a intake. We've raced many times from a rolling start and everytime he would hang with me for 2-3 secs before my car would start to pull.

Everytime he would hang with me till the upper end HOWEVER

I could run 15.3s with a LS tranny almost every single time down the strip he could run a 17.5

Hmmmmm

take it to the track and see what happens when it's timed in the 1/4 mile unless his car is way out of tune or just filled with800lbs of stero crap..... you will get your ass handed to you

BTW in current form that B16 in my civic DX is making 380WHP and is drivin daily once again at 380WHP

Try doing that with your motor

well i dont know what you have but on a couple d-series forums i have seen ppl getting low times in d-series.....12's,11's... you also have to look at the weight here. it plays a major role in the race d-series and b-series. As far as "you can only go so far in a d-series"...tell that to ppl on www.SOHCHonda.com and www.D-Series.com. These are the pioneers of honda low budget engine building. Sure there are tricks and some of there ways are bootleg and rice but if they show results...high numbers with a fraction of the cost of a b-series motor, i tip my hat at them. You can go back and forth all day about which is beter but in the end its gona be the low budget kid vs the high budget hype.....and once again...they engines of both series are limited to the size of one's pocket book.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Jul 11 2004, 06:56 PM-->
@Jul 11 2004, 02:34 AM

Because it's an overhyped, overrated engine. Sure, it makes decent numbers on boost, but unless you do that, you might as well swap a D16Z6 in there.

Yea ok :roll:

Originally posted by jeffie7@Jul 11 2004, 11:24 AM

and a sedan, too! :wave:

The shop that build my old car had a 11 Sec D15B7 in order to run that with out blowing it was fully built from the ground up

they made a good 300 or so WHP out of the motor to bad it was being pushed to it's limits and that was a striped track car

They've but some 450+WHP daily driven cars with the B and H series motors
if you make 200+WHP on a D block... good luck having it hold up I wouldnt trust it EVER
even being sleeved

If you're talking about motors stock for stock the B16 is a very slow motor with no torque however, it should be 1.5-2.5 seconds faster then your motor when it comes to the 1/4 mile and IMO that's still super slow

if you're going for a stock motor the best IMO for a CRX is a B18C1/5 next in line is the B18A/B then in 3rd place a B16

The only thing good about D series motors is how cheap they are so when you do blow it up (and you will if you boost it to make any real #s) you can find another one for cheap

I sold mine for under 100 bucks with tranny in GREAT shape

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jul 11 2004, 02:31 PM-->
Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jul 11 2004, 06:56 PM
CRX2NR18

It is.

Man, I wish I could find the dynos of the D16A6 with bolt ons vs. the B16, it was great, it had .8 more ft/lbs of torque.
Del Sol Si vs Del Sol VTEC, the del sol vtec will win in the 1/4 by about 1.5-2 cars. Ask Micah :)

D series is total crap unless you need a swap the next day.

im just saying why spend 1800 on a full b16 swap when it just runs 14's? u guys are acting like that is fast. Maybe for stock but my buddy did a D16a6 swap in his hf (150bucks) then built a junkyard turbo setup (600) and ran 13.5 on street tires, 12.9 on slicks boosting 10lbs. Now 12 sec crx for 750 bucks, or 14 sec crx for 1800, maybe im not getting the point... B)

I see where you are coming from, bang for buck either way from my personal experience I would chose the b16 over any D series.

In draggin' terms it's all about power to weight, and 60 footers...

My hatch ran quick probably because it weighed under 2000lbs, and it was all bolt on's.

Also in terms of tq, well if some type of mini me swap netted more tq with certain bolt on's over a b16, still whats the big deal - both motors don't produce the tq that we seek anyways. I mean, whats another 3ftlbs to the wheels when your barely hitting above 110ft lbs...

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jul 11 2004, 02:31 PM-->
Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jul 11 2004, 06:56 PM
CRX2NR18

Yeah OK nothing. You swap a B16 into a hatch and pull what... a low 15 second time? Whoooo... How much did you spend? Whoooo even more. Yes, they make good numbers under boost, but by themselves, even with bolt ons, they're not much better than D series. Yeah, 160 HP, but how much torque (the number that really matters)..? I seem to have forgotten... Oh yeah, 111 ft lbs. And how much torque does a D16Z6 have? 108 ft lbs? Hm. And when does that B16 make the power? Oh yeah- way up above 5500 RPM... and you guys bitch about turbo lag? Fuck me, if I have to wait 'till 5500 RPM for anything resembling power, you can bet your ass that car's going out on the front lawn with a for sale sign.

I've driven B16s in CRXs, del Sols (both OEM and swapped), in Civic hatches, coupes, and in DA Integras. I have *NEVER* been impressed with the engine. Yes, it revs like a mofo, and is very smooth doing so, and has a very smooth power delivery, but it's... just... not... powerful. Period. End of discussion. The B18C1 and C5 are worth it, perhaps. Maybe. But the B16? Puh-lease. It's a torqueless wonder that belongs in a sub- 1500 lb. open wheel race car.

u cant flame on a b16 because you beat someone in a race who had one...
i pulled on someone with a swapped c5, y? because he couldnt drive, car ran like ass, and he was inexprienced i guess, his setup should of spanked me...just because you beat someone w/ a stock b16 doesnt mean someone else with a stock b16 wont blow you away

thought i'd add my 2 cents on this on...

My buddy has: 96 civic EX d16y8 turbo
I have : '00 civic Si b16a2 turbo

Did a pull on the highway today... 5th gear he couldnt touch me.. 4th gear, he couldnt touch me.. 3rd gear, he hung right with me..

One of the big problems with D Series is their gearings... but that can be changed with tranny swaps and such.

Back