B16A SiR rev problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YBLEGAL

Regular Member w/ Cheese
Ok, i read the whole speal on posting non-swap questions in the right place, but you know what? there is no right place. U dont have a hybrid problem section. O well...

Well i've reciently finished putting a 95 Del Sol CRX SiR engine in my 2000 Civic EX body. Everything runs great, except one problem, or, inconvience. At 1500rpm, when pressing the gas to a certian extent, the engine will rev, like from 1450rpm to 1500rpm, back and forth, untill you press the gas harder. If you press the gas hard enough from the start you avoid the issue, but as this is, it's almost impossible to drive slow...

so if anyone has any ideas, i've come accross map sensor, and TPS or soemthing? i'm kinda new at this, but i know a decient bit. and i catch on quick.

thanks ya'll ;)

I had this problem in my B18C

My problem cleared itself up while I was asking about it here so I can't say for sure...But the consensus was that it was likely the IACV (sp?) located just below the throttlebody and has a coolant line going to it. The advice I got was to take it out clean the screen and re-install. Also, air bubbles in the coolant can cause it to malfunction because it won't correctly read the temperature. Make sure you bleed all the air out of the system well to elimnate this possibility.

That said, I don;t know for a fact that the B16 throttlebody has the same device, someone should be along shortly that will know.

As far as where to post, I always assumed that if you have a swapped or hybrid car, all matters including making the swap to keeping it going, go here.SOmetimes I might post a problem like this in genral maintenance, but the quirks of a hybrid being what they are, It sometimes does help to know what chassis and engine combo you have incase its an issue pertaining to wiring.

BTW, Welcome.

After a quick check...

I pulled out the ole' Haynes Repair Manual, tho not for my engine specificly, it's been similar enough I could figure it out. Come to think of it, it's been the same; btw my book is for a 96-00 Civic, and my engine is a 95 Del Sol SiR (JDM)...o well.

Anyway, after looking at the underside of my throttle body, i located the place at which the IAC sensor is supposed to be connected. I say supposed to be, because there is nothing plugged in. Should there be? Also, the ECU came w/ the motor, and is all factory still. How can i locate said wire? It looks to be the round connection type, with 2 leads.

thanks for the help!

Some pics of the subject...

Here's a few pics of what i'm lookin at, along w/ a couple just to show ya what i'm workin with.

This is the socket i'm talking about:
11.jpg

Side shot:
12.jpg

Where it's located in relation to the top of the intake manifold:
13.jpg

My Car:
14.jpg

My Engine:

15.jpg

i'd say that is your trouble right there. as far as wiring it up..anything electrical is a mystery to me. Someone here will know.

bingo.. thats your problem.. i also am no pro at wiring.. some one can help you though..

im pretty sure it needs to be grounded on one side and wired to pin A9 on an obd1 ecu. dont know that it would cause the problem youre experiencing, but i do know that is how you need to wire the iacv.

um damn.

well i jumped the connector that's supposed to go there (regestering 5 volts) to that connection. see, i had to jump it cuz it's not long enough...but still, to no avail. still revs at 1500rpm. according to haynes, ur supposed to touch the positive from the sensor to the positive of the battery for a milisecond, n c if the thing makes a click sound, which it did. so i know the sensor works correctly...

they said if that didnt work, it might be an ecu problem. any other ideas before i call up a honda dealership and pay obscene amounts of money to do a mundane amount of work??

thanks mucho!

btw

o yeah btw, i do have an OBD1 ecu... P30 i believe. using the skunk2 conversion harness...

bump. bump bump. that's the sound of the 15s while they hittin in my trunk...

so, no posts in a while, i'm still troubleshooting. I think i've narrowed it down to being my TPS sensor. it seems when i disconnect it, the problem isnt at 1500rpm anylonger but at 2000rpm instead. i think if the ecu isnt getting a signal from the TPS it defaults back to some predetermined setting.

any conformation of this, ideas, suggestions, questions, comments, reviews, markups, comic strips, etc?

i'm about to buy a spoon throttlebody for 570.00, and tho it's a good part n all, i could use that money else where for the time being...

chek your idle unit behind your manifold i blew mine off and it was reving up and down lolol prety hard to drive at slow

dude.. if your IACV has a missing plug, then thats your problem.. is it doing quick, short revs.. i can go unplug mine and thats what it does

Hi,ihave Also This Problem On My B16a Sir 2 Jdm That I Swap On My 00 Civic Dx Automatic Tranny ,but I Got Po1509 Code Saying No Signal,coz D16y7 Auto Uses 3 Wire Iacv And B16a Uses 2 Wire ,is Anybody Can Help With This Problem.thanks

Back