b16a1 compared to dohc zc running second

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RcRacing72

i have a 91 civic dx hatch, i will be running on a quater mile circle track running in second gear. im looking at a b16,zc,or b18b to swap in. But im looking for some knowledge to what motor (doesnt have to be those 3) that will come out of the box the best in second gear and not redline on my way to the turn.

-Ronnie

Last edited:
get the b18 bottom end and strap a b16 head to it... you'll have higher compression, more low end torque to get you off the line and a more broad of a rev range to work with.

b16's are rev happy motors, there also decently quick for what they are, which is a 1.6. But if you need your low end ( in autoX i dont have to many thoughts about what you would need it for) go for a bigger displacement motor. If you looking for topend and higher revs, which is what blanco said, i would go for the b16

by build regulations to u mean rules?

if so
car can be no newer then 95, a 4 cyl. and no turbo. car must be stock all around, but you are allowed to swap in the b16(I believe) because 91 R hatch's were built with that motor.
no aftermarket parts are to be installed, but there are alot of people who put in a lighter flywheel, shave the head, and but in a dif. clutch.
They dont tech the cars to harshly since its the lowest class. So alot of cheating goes on.
Last year there was a kid with a 89 hatch with a b16 and he set track record and had fast time every night i believe.

I was thinking about a dohc zc, it is cheaper but b16 seems the way to go.

any recommendations on who i should order a complete swap package from?

ty
-Ronnie

It seems to me that the tranny is where you need to focus. Maybe consider an ls tranny. It has the longest gears of any b series tranny and would give you a wider powerband. Its generally slower for drag racing but since you're only going to be using 2 gears I'd say this should deffinately be considered.

well i'd definately look into a tranny with a little longer gears since you don't want to be redlining when you get to the turn. it sounds like a pretty closed up track though... but, yeah i would go with a b16 with a long gear ratio.

taller gears will allow him to go faster in that particular gear... it's the same concept of short and tall tires. the tranny doesn't control the redline... he can just attain a faster top end in that gear before redlining.

well there was a kid at the track last year who ran a b16, set track record and held fast time plenty almost every race night.

Last edited:
sorry, i was under the impression it was autoX. . . but i beleive the same principal applies. . . if ne thing use a gsr tranny, there a lil longer than the b16 but alot shorter than the LS

what about a d16z6?
thx for the imput so far guys
:ph34r:;)
for the b16a1
the pr3 and pwo are the same right?
what about the trannies (Y1, S1, J1)?
Biggest tire i can run is P195

I wanna do the swap myself, and hmotors comes with everything you need it looks like.
I talk to a honda guy and said i would need to have a harness made, what would this cost?

p.s
this would be the track i would be running at
Columbus 151 Speedway Online

Last edited:
you won't have as much of a rev range to work with.... it sounds like you'll be up around 5k and higher. i'd go with a b series motor. as for tranny... go with something that has taller gears but no so tall that it takes forever to get on top of them. taller gear= higher top speed in that particular gear.

that be pushing someones pocket book but you would have that fatest car by a long one. just build a strong bumper to keep that engine from seeing any impact.
id like to get out there with a 92-95 si hatch, wheelbase extended that year which is a plus.
thx, for all the info.

What's your budget? There are plenty of Z6 and A6 EFs that can keep up with B16 EFs, but once you start modifying them, the B16 will make more power easily.

That money including engine and all, id just order a crate engine and stick it in my dads monte for a street stock.
nice setup for a street car tho. Im not rich by no means, i think id get a dohc zc and get some good cams a flywheel and clutch. I think that motors strong enough to take the abuse.

edit: Im selling my bandit due to some complications that came up, maybe someone will stick me in a car, or i can get my hands on a 92 hatch cheap.
Im looking for a 92 hatch for a street car, id swap a b16 in it, and take ur advice on cams and all.

Last edited:
Kev, I have a Z6 that puts down B16 power. But he's talking about an engine for a racing class that specifies no engine building. At that point, a Z6 will never keep up with a B16 in the same weight chassis (stock car racing).

Ah, I see.

Back